First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
just wondering if your R1T/S makes a single knock or two noises as soon as you press or release the accelerator pedal at low to medium speeds coming from the rear motors. Mine made this since delivery but seems a little more noticeable now. Interestingly no knock when in conserve mode. Another forum stated there is a component that is called a Dynamic Controller Clutch that dis/re-engage the drive shaft to the rear motors to allow conserve mode. Note there is one maybe 2 knocks and it happens at the beginning of the speed change.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Drivetrain lash. It's "normal" but they will quiet it down by greasing the axle/hub interface if you bring the problem up to service. The tolerances on the shafts and hubs are maybe a bit too sloppy.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Here's a look inside Rivian's rear disconnect clutches that Charles mentioned. A slick and clever design, considering the torque requirements. I expect this mechanism will have some freeplay (lash) ... possibly noticeable in the cabin upon torque reversal ... and that's just the nature of the beast. So, for the rear disconnect clutches, a knock may be "normal." Just my opinion. There could be other sources for the noises that Charles hears, but I wanted to use this post to shed some light on the innerworkings of the rear disconnect clutches.
Rivian R1T R1S Knocking in rear motor during acceleration / deceleration Rivian rear disconnects
Sponsored