Sponsored

Kneel mode bad for our Rivians over time?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I've opted to change the ride height manually when I need it. The problem for me with kneel mode is that my passengers always want to get out while it's kneeling. Just lowering it when needed ensures it's actually ready to go when the people are. Also, if I'm just pulling out of the garage to wash or other incidental movements, I don't need the additional adjustments. As far as wear on the system, I doubt it makes a big difference.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Even with auto and kneel modes enabled, I have yet to notice the compressor running from inside my R1S with the windows rolled up so I'm afraid I just can't relate to all these complaints of compressor noise.

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
I do use Auto and Kneel daily. I'm not too worried about the compressor wear but I do think about the stress on the drive terrain. Particularly placing it into park and then lowering it down seems to build up some stresses and you can feel them release by going into gear or neutral.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
All of the replies make sense but probably the most sensitive one said something like, ā€œjust use the truckā€ and if there are problems, more use should bring those issues out while still under warranty. No reason to baby it now and find out there are issues after warranty expiration. I have not been using kneel because my family generally doesnā€™t need it and I was concerned about extra wear, but I may start ā€¦.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. Iā€™ve had my Grand Cherokee for 8 years and have never had a compressor issue. I always drop it for ingress/egress too. I hope I didnā€™t just jinx myself. It just needs to last 3 more months for my R1S to deliver.

Sponsored

Sleektruck22

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Property Management
Air suspension will fail once the air struts become dry and brittle from age or a puncture occurs.
Cycling your suspension up and down is not going to cause the struts to fail unless they have been sitting and are already dry and brittle.

They are designed to be used. All cars with air suspension "kneel" automatically once parked for easier ingress/eagress.

You bought the car, use it, the air struts and compressors for our cars are really not that expensive. About $1000 per strut max and maybe $300-400 for a compressor. Keep in mind, those are prices for a BRAND NEW car who has part limitations currently. These will only come down.

My Range Rover's struts at wholesale cost were $1,800 each, retail for $2,200.

Don't sweat these things, just enjoy the car. These things are near free to own and maintain.

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€™19 X5 40i, ā€™07 X5 4.8, ā€™98 M Roadster
I was thinking about Land Rover, too. I know several people that have had issues with their air suspension. Worries me as well.
As a simple fact of past personal experience- LR2, LR4, LR4, LR3, Range Rover Sport, LR4, 2020 Defender, LR3, Range Rover Td6

The above are in order of ownership with either BMW or MINI mixed in for fun.

I have never been stranded as a result of any one thing failing on any a LR product. I used the air suspension for exactly what it was designed for. I used access entry 99% of the time. Itā€™s designed to lift and lower and was designed well. I always enjoyed freaking my friends or family out as I knew they had no idea about air suspensions. Iā€™d typically at a stop light raise or lower the LR - you talk about fun and facial expressions - it was a hootā€¦

Will Rivian have air suspension failures, yes their design is new, just like when Land Rover first introduced the system in the LR3. 2005 BTW and itā€™s the most noted to steer away from.

Use your vehicle for what it was designed for and as many times as possible. Will something fail? Of course, get mad or disappointed all you like.

In the long term the parts that fail help make for a higher quality part for everyone who buys in the future. I hope in the future I buy a second generation R1 and be happy that the failures in my rig, helped the greater good of the Rivian brand and those who buy it. Keep engineers busy, if you have a problem in your rig- get into the shop period and do your part for the future versions of Rivian ā€¦.

My 2 centsā€¦

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
You must be driving with suspension in auto, try using it without auto. I set the height I want and hear the pump when I first start out but rarely after that.
This is what I do too. I don't use the auto height. don't really see the point. if I don't need the range, it's not going to be worthwhile. if I desperately do, I'd be in conserve on a highway anyway.
I also turned off kneel as well, partly b/c I park on a pretty steep downhill driveway and kneel made it seem like the front suspension was REALLY low.
I bet my wife would appreciate running boards. Maybe she'll buy them for me :)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I agree with those who feel it's a small number of cycles compared to overall usage. If the air bags are going to fail, it is not going to be because you used kneel mode. You can't preserve the life of air suspension by trying not to use it.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Donā€™t forget that weak compressor with small tank; mine is constantly cycling with every suspension selection change. Itā€™s also reported here that Rivian replaced that weak system with a more robust larger one, sometime in late February. And yes, I had my system checked out by Rivian, and no leaks.
I wonder if we are able to have our older system replaced with the newer one?

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if we are able to have our older system replaced with the newer one?
Unlikely, but worth an ask! I was planning to ask my contact at the SC in the morning! šŸ¤£

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Weak compressor and small tank? Ok sure. It doesn't matter how big the tank, every time you release air, the compressor is going to run to fill it back up to its target pressure. A "weak compressor" may have to run longer to fill the tank back up but there should be thermal cutoffs protecting from damage (which I seem to recall customers or media experiencing after making a bunch of back to back ride height changes).

As for the rumors, I'll believe the upgraded compressor/tank rumors when they are substantiated.
That's not accurate. A larger tank will cause the compressor to run less frequently. That's why you use a larger tank. The goal is to prevent frequent starts known as "short cycling" because electric motors heat and stress much more on start than while continuous running. The compressor runs and shuts off at a setpoint, let's say 120 psi as an example. It won't come back on until the pressure drops to a low setpoint, perhaps 80 psi. It will then run until the high setpoint is achieved. By using a tank 2x in size, in theory the compressor starts 50% less, and runs 50% longer once started.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's not accurate. A larger tank will cause the compressor to run less frequently. That's why you use a larger tank. The goal is to prevent frequent starts known as "short cycling" because electric motors heat and stress much more on start than while continuous running. The compressor runs and shuts off at a setpoint, let's say 120 psi as an example. It won't come back on until the pressure drops to a low setpoint, perhaps 80 psi. It will then run until the high setpoint is achieved. By using a tank 2x in size, in theory the compressor starts 50% less, and runs 50% longer once started.
While true and I over simplified, what you're talking about is not really much of an issue with intermittent ride height changes. It becomes a much bigger issue when there is a leak in the system.

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
I own a 2018 RR Sport and have been using the kneeling feature since day 1 and I've never had any issues.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I own a 22 yr old Prevost motorcoach with a full air suspension and separate air systems for internal doors (very cool), seat adjustments, slide seals, air horns, and many more systems. I repair this system myself whenever possible so I've learned a few things about long term wear on air systems. The entire bus weighs 58000 lbs.
Given that, I can assure you that one of the worst things Prevost coach owners can do is let their coach just sit and not use it. That is when air problems really occur due to lack of exercising the pistons, valves, air bags, etc. Yes it will eventually wear out, but not exercising an air suspension system will not extend it's life. Lack of exercise is the worst thing for these systems.
Sponsored