First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
to clarify, that 50K value is a total guess (by a journalist) off of an off-the-cuff comment in an interview (by kia).

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

to clarify, that 50K value is a total guess off of an off-the-cuff comment.
Yeah $50k version would probably be RWD with a range around 200 miles. At least based on the EV6 that would be my guess which starts at $40k for that type of spec.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm guessing AWD w/ at least 300bhp and 300 mile range would be approx 65k. Kia currently sells 2WD and AWD variants, as well as standard and extended range battery variants of the EV6. I imagine this will be the same in this case.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

IDK whats worse, this will almost certainly be un-obtanium because of flawed dealership network, OR the fact that this will be coming Soon and take away from R1S orders.

caliwagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC90
If I could, I'd preorder one of these and take whatever is built first, the EV9 or my ordered RS1. I don't particularly need the RS1's off-road capabilities.

Kia has had so much success with the 3-row Telluride, I fully expect them to get the EV9 right.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
This is essentially the same EV as Hyundai Ioniq 7, right?

GR

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

IDK whats worse, this will almost certainly be un-obtanium because of flawed dealership network, OR the fact that this will be coming Soon and take away from R1S orders.
It's nothing but projections at this point, by 2023 it may still be non-existium...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It's nothing but projections at this point, by 2023 it may still be non-existium...

Yeap Ioniq5 was originally delayed a few months and even then, just really hope the whole model is adjusted as the Ioniq5 system was a mess buy Kias seemed to have a "better" ish system.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Article said trucks won’t be value oriented. So anything with R1 capability will not be a deal compared to Rivian original pricing. If Rivian extra oomf is not needed, Kia will probably be an option to consider.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
This is one reason Rivian needs to do both max pack and 800V. Tesla can get away with 400v due to the superior ampacity of V3 superchargers.

It's curious that Rivian even released 400v vehicles. I wonder what was missing when finalized the current design.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is one reason Rivian needs to do both max pack and 800V. Tesla can get away with 400v due to the superior ampacity of V3 superchargers.

It's curious that Rivian even released 400v vehicles. I wonder what was missing when finalized the current design.
I'm all for pushing the tech but does 800V really impact much at this point for the majority of people? I assume you want 800v for the faster charging potential, but I can only think of 1-2 stations near me that would be able to supply that level of power. It came to me while watching OOS Kyle's road trip video this week: on a trip (in a hypothetical Rivian w/800v architecture on sale today) I might pass one or two chargers capable of shaving some time of my stop. But it's far more likely to arrive at my destination and see a 50kw charger with 1-2 stalls.

On Plugshare I see about 32 stations in the tri-state area capable of more than 200kW. All of them don't have a 350kW options but filtering is limited on plugshare. The next revised R1T a few years down the road should probably be 800v though.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I'm all for pushing the tech but does 800V really impact much at this point for the majority of people? I assume you want 800v for the faster charging potential, but I can only think of 1-2 stations near me that would be able to supply that level of power. It came to me while watching OOS Kyle's road trip video this week: on a trip (in a hypothetical Rivian w/800v architecture on sale today) I might pass one or two chargers capable of shaving some time of my stop. But it's far more likely to arrive at my destination and see a 50kw charger with 1-2 stalls.

On Plugshare I see about 32 stations in the tri-state area capable of more than 200kW. All of them don't have a 350kW options but filtering is limited on plugshare. The next revised R1T a few years down the road should probably be 800v though.
I assume all significant CCS1 DCFC installs going forward will be 800v capable, including RAN.

I agree hat power isn't necessary for most owners. But many of the premium features are not necessary. Ford Lightning is is also only 400v, but their 140kwh pack vehicles come with 80A of internal charging capability. So of the big pack vehicles available this year Rivian has the least charging capability.

I don't think Rivian's position today is a problem. But looking forward a year or two I think buyers spending $100K+ are going to expect to utilize faster CCS1 charging.

For my travels I place much more importance on more CCS1 charging locations than speed. A working CCS1 50kw charger is great. All level 2 chargers are pretty much worthless except at motels.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I understand your point.. I briefly had an EV6 and the 800V system is awesome.

The economy of scale is a lot different for Rivian and Hyundai/Kia. For Hyundai developing custom 1000V components in house in order to have 800V HV system is feasible, they can use those components on multiple lines of vehicles over the next decade. The cost and time for Rivian to develop 800V HV system would have likely delayed the release of the R1 models at least another year.

As I understand off the shelf 1000V components are becoming more available so for Rivian’s next gen platform it is likely a lot more feasible.

So 800V would have been great but I would rather have my 400V Rivian for a couple years and upgrade later if/when it becomes available, if I really need it.
Sponsored