Sponsored

Just wired up a charger outlet, Rivian charger worth it?

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
The level 2 charger I just installed has a 40amp breaker and a matching level 2 cable with a max 40 amp current capacity.

The cable I have is rated at a maximum 50 amps, so do you think it is worth opting for the Rivian charger to get the additional 10 amps, when I get the truck next year? It's destined to be a max pack battery.

Let me know what you think?
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The difference might be a bit south of 20 miles/hour added vs 25 miles/hour added. If you can leave the truck plugged in over night, what you've got should be fine.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
The level 2 charger I just installed has a 40amp breaker and a matching level 2 cable with a max 40 amp current capacity.

The cable I have is rated at a maximum 50 amps, so do you think it is worth opting for the Rivian charger to get the additional 10 amps, when I get the truck next year? It's destined to be a max pack battery.

Let me know what you think?
My understanding is charging on a 40 amp breaker circuit should be limited to 32 amps (80%). 16-17 miles added per hour. A 50 amp breaker circuit would be limited to 40 amps (20-21 miles added per hour). I installed a 60 amp breaker with the Rivian charger, can charge at 48 amps (~25 mile/ hour charge rate)

Not sure that you mean by a 50 amp cable, the wire between the breaker and charging plug? Or the cable to your R1T? The Rivian wall charger comes with a permanently attached cable that can work on a 60 amp breaker circuit, so 48 amp charging rate. This allows you to charge at "up to" a 25 mile/hour rate. (I do get 24-25, but I have now set my charge rate at 42 amps to provide more safety margin)

FWIW, the charging cable that comes in the R1T Frunk is rated for 32 amps (Rivian says 16 miles/hr range added).

You should be able to go from 32 amp to 40 charge rates if you put in the rivian charger and a 50 amp breaker (25% increase) and if the wiring allows. If you put in the Rivian charger and 60 amp breaker, and make sure the wiring is ok for the 60 amp breaker, you can get a 50% increase, and charge at 48 amp rates.

I agree with previous poster, if you are charging overnite, won't matter much.

Last edited:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Like @nc10 said, make sure you understand what breakers are required for any given current. The maximum amps on the breaker should be 80% (or the breaker should be 1.25x the amps, same result, whichever math you prefer.) If you have a 40A breaker, right now you are limited to using the cord you get with the truck that charges at 32A.

I'm not clear what you actually installed, if it was a DIY, or an electrician did it. Bottom line, you need a minimum 60A breaker for the Rivian wall charger with the appropriate wire to charge using 48A. If it is worth it depends on how much driving you do daily and what the extra speed/cost is worth to you.

I will say this, if you are paying an electrician to do it, the math gets complicated. I will do my charging at home and at a camp. I'm opting for the max you can get with a portable charger - 40A on a 50A breaker - to be able to use at both locations. I had the electrician run wire with the installation of a 14-50 outlet in my garage to future proof it in case I wanted to install a hardwired EVSE in the future. I know that upgraded wire added to the cost, but even purchasing the outlet and breaker myself (around $120), the electrician bill was $850. The camp will be more of a DIY with help from friends and doubt I'll ever consider a hardwired option there, so will be cheaper.

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
I can not talk on the Rivian charger but I did have the ford charger installed for my Mach E and it has 60 amp breaker and the unit required at least a 48amp. I get about 26 miles per charge hour on average. I charge once it is down to that 20% (ish) and charge to 80% in 5-6 hours.
Again this is on the Ford brand charger (got it to be able to use it on the ford pass app for the Mach E).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ripped

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
When I looked at the Rivian charger pdf a couple months ago, it looked like it was configurable for multiple amperages to a maximum of 60 amps (or did I read that wrong)

Yes one of my relatives is an electrician. The electrical panel supports an added 50 amp breaker (presently installed 40 amp breaker) but the currency capacity of the conductor is 50 amps, so can upgrade at a later time, if I wish.

40amps works with my current charge cable, so it's fine for now.

50 amp breakers are s special order, so if doable, I'll order it in advance.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
When I looked at the Rivian charger pdf a couple months ago, it looked like it was configurable for multiple amperages to a maximum of 60 amps (or did I read that wrong)
True. Has actual dip switches.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Yes one of my relatives is an electrician. The electrical panel supports an added 50 amp breaker (presently installed 40 amp breaker) but the currency capacity of the conductor is 50 amps, so can upgrade at a later time, if I wish.

40amps works with my current charge cable, so it's fine for now.

50 amp breakers are s special order, so if doable, I'll order it in advance.
The Rivian wall charger has a max capacity of 48 amps.

In order to utilize the wall charger at 48 amps, you need a 60 m circuit breaker.
Rivian R1T R1S Just wired up a charger outlet, Rivian charger worth it? Screenshot_2022-08-04-11-31-48-49_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f~2

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
No, the max is 48 maps using a 60 amp circuit breaker. The wall charger dip switches cannot be set any higher than 48 amps.
Obviously, 60 amp breaker, 48 amp charge rate as I stated above, but they can and need to be set lower if he used the 40 or 50 amp breaker.............

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Obviously, 60 amp breaker, 48 amp charge rate as I stated above, but they can and need to be set lower if he used the 40 or 50 amp breaker.............
Ok... We are on the same page then. The OP stated the wall charger can be configurable to 60 amps, and you responded "true." It's actually not true.

I was just trying to clarify because it seems the OP was maybe not understanding that the charger cannot be configured to 60 amps (unless of course he was referring to the circuit breaker max of 60 amps as opposed to the actual current the charger can provide which is 48 amps), hence my clarification.

I reread your longer post above and realize you already explained all that.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
My understanding is charging on a 40 amp breaker circuit should be limited to 32 amps (80%). 16-17 miles added per hour. A 50 amp breaker circuit would be limited to 40 amps (20-21 miles added per hour). I installed a 60 amp breaker with the Rivian charger, can charge at 48 amps (~25 mile/ hour charge rate)

Not sure that you mean by a 50 amp cable, the wire between the breaker and charging plug? Or the cable to your R1T? The Rivian wall charger comes with a permanently attached cable that can work on a 60 amp breaker circuit, so 48 amp charging rate. This allows you to charge at "up to" a 25 mile/hour rate. (I do get 24-25, but I have now set my charge rate at 42 amps to provide more safety margin)

FWIW, the charging cable that comes in the R1T Frunk is rated for 32 amps (Rivian says 16 miles/hr range added).

You should be able to go from 32 amp to 40 charge rates if you put in the rivian charger and a 50 amp breaker (25% increase) and if the wiring allows. If you put in the Rivian charger and 60 amp breaker, and make sure the wiring is ok for the 60 amp breaker, you can get a 50% increase, and charge at 48 amp rates.

I agree with previous poster, if you are charging overnite, won't matter much.
I have a 40amp breaker installed with appropriate wire gauge and I just got the truck and plugged it in today. Said 32 amps like you said on the screen and only 9 miles per hour charging. AC was also running which may have lowered the miles per hour charging. since I only drive ~25 miles per day I am not super worried about it. 6 hours of charging from our solar system (10am-4pm) will be plenty of juice and cost nothing!

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Said 32 amps like you said on the screen and only 9 miles per hour charging.
A little disappointing, Not sure if this is your case, I guess if you have AT tires, and your range/hour added at any setting would be 10-15% less than what I see for 21" wheels, but that would only be about ~ 2 miles range per hour difference.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
A little disappointing, Not sure if this is your case, I guess if you have AT tires, and your range/hour added at any setting would be 10-15% less than what I see for 21" wheels, but that would only be about ~ 2 miles range per hour difference.
20” AT tires. After I locked it and AC went off the rate increased to 12.3 miles/hour. About half what the Rivian wall charger boasts but with larger breaker and probably thicker wires. Two hours of charging will get me to work and back.

Rivian R1T R1S Just wired up a charger outlet, Rivian charger worth it? 682A7B56-8D7F-4BC7-BF3C-A8BA69E37F70

Rivian R1T R1S Just wired up a charger outlet, Rivian charger worth it? FBAF9A8A-5DD6-4CD5-8B72-BBEB65BDCAA3
Sponsored