OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Quick update on my trip to PS. I’m definitely liking the truck a lot. I like the seats, driving position, and most of the controls. Still getting used to it of course.

A couple things did pop up that I’m not loving. One is that there is some passenger side wind noise. I see it’s a pretty common thing so I guess I’ll have service take a look.

Two, the bottom rung of the steering wheel has some pretty sharp edges where the front and rear plastic covers join. I’m guessing it’s just how I hold the wheel because I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, but it is not the most tactile feeling aspect of the truck, to say the least.

Also I spoke a bit too soon on the steering wheel alignment. It’s off just a smidge. But I’m not concerned with that since my best friend is like a super old-school vehicle frame and alignment guru. He’ll cry to me that I bring him the weirdest vehicles but he’ll make it perfect. BTW, anyone in the Hollywood area needing alignment, let me know and I’ll pass along his info.

Otherwise, all is great! I used Drive+ a lot and find it to be nearly as good as standard Tesla AP, with the exception of it not always wanting to engage on every road. Not sure about vampire drain yet as I haven’t made my way to the truck this morning. I averaged 2.1 miles per kW/h with a LOT of traffic and local to avoid the traffic.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Quick update on my trip to PS. I’m definitely liking the truck a lot. I like the seats, driving position, and most of the controls. Still getting used to it of course.

A couple things did pop up that I’m not loving. One is that there is some passenger side wind noise. I see it’s a pretty common thing so I guess I’ll have service take a look.

Two, the bottom rung of the steering wheel has some pretty sharp edges where the front and rear plastic covers join. I’m guessing it’s just how I hold the wheel because I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, but it is not the most tactile feeling aspect of the truck, to say the least.

Also I spoke a bit too soon on the steering wheel alignment. It’s off just a smidge. But I’m not concerned with that since my best friend is like a super old-school vehicle frame and alignment guru. He’ll cry to me that I bring him the weirdest vehicles but he’ll make it perfect. BTW, anyone in the Hollywood area needing alignment, let me know and I’ll pass along his info.

Otherwise, all is great! I used Drive+ a lot and find it to be nearly as good as standard Tesla AP, with the exception of it not always wanting to engage on every road. Not sure about vampire drain yet as I haven’t made my way to the truck this morning. I averaged 2.1 miles per kW/h with a LOT of traffic and local to avoid the traffic.

@uthatch Thanks for the update! Yeah, get an alignment, just because. I had the SC do mine last month. Wind noise is likely that small triangle piece of glass. My Tesla has the same issue. Use painter's tape around it on the outside and see if the noise goes away. If not, do the same to the body colored plastic trim between the windshield and pano roof glass. Some trucks have misaligned glass or panels there. My money is on one of those being the culprit. Easy SC fix.

Yeah, D+ is good, on roads where it is active.

Last edited:
OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
@uthatch Thanks for the update! Yeah, get an alignment, just because. I had the SC do mine last month. Wind noise is likely that small triangle piece of glass. My Tesla has the same issue. Use painter's tape around it on the outside and see if the noise goes away. If not, do the same to the body colored plastic trim between the windshield and pano roof glass. Some trucks have misaligned glass or panels there. My money is on one of those being the culprit. Easy SC fix.

Yeah, D+ is good, on roads where it is active.
Thanks! I’ll do exactly as you say with the tape. It’s really not too bad, but I suspect it can be quieter.

But yeah I’m digging the truck more and more. Also the lack of the Tesla SC network has made me get more creative with searching for charging and that’s saving me some charging money. Not much, but it’s interesting.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Another 1/21 VIN Confirm here, scheduled delivery for 2/28. (It was available 2/20 but we're out of town.)
Positively bursting with excitement!
Seems like Rivian filled a lot of containers in the last couple of weeks!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! I’ll do exactly as you say with the tape. It’s really not too bad, but I suspect it can be quieter.

But yeah I’m digging the truck more and more. Also the lack of the Tesla SC network has made me get more creative with searching for charging and that’s saving me some charging money. Not much, but it’s interesting.
EA at Walmart; that's my go to! Grab a sub at Subway while charging. The interior of my truck is quieter than my MS Plaid (save for the motor whine). I also have the "RUS" (Reinforced Underbody Shield for $2000). That's steel and CF, so that might contribute to my quiet cabin. Love the RUS!

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

My R1T would have been a "late February delivery," were it not for the SNAFU at Tower FCU. Things are finally all straightened out, Rivian Irvine has confirmed having received the checks, and I am scheduled to pick up my pickup on Monday, 3-6-2023.
Besides all the issues getting a loan pushed across the finish line, the other glitch is that my truck, which was listed in the Rivian Shop as having a (presumably working) PTC, now has a broken PTC. The SC called me to tell me that the tonneau cover had failed (at the SC), and that they had subsequently locked it in the open position. He said that it would take some months until they had parts to repair it. I'll probably have to buy an after-market tonneau cover to get me by, until Rivian can finally release the upgrade.
Sponsored