Sponsored

Just got my Rivian! Should I rustproof it?

Holt26

First Name
Holt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 4x4
Occupation
VA Medical center
I wouldn't say it's mandatory, but it's good piece of mind. A giant, painted, blunt front end is begging for rock chips. I did the door sills as well.
I picked up my R1S last August and have been trying to decide whether to PPF. If so, how much of the R1S/T did you cover at what cost. Did anyone ceramic coat it or do both??? Would like other owners comments.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
My opinion on this is that the first step is to be honest with yourself about how long you will keep the vehicle. I have typically driven my vehicles until they were 15 years old, but I think this one is going to be different.

I predict that these vehicles are going to be really expensive to own out of warranty and I will therefore most likely try to get out before the warranty expires. If you (like me) are planning to sell the vehicle in a few years, money spent on things like PPF or anti-rust coatings are unlikely to be worthwhile.

Rivian used a lot of parts that although cool, are going to be much more prone to failure than alternative designs. For example, Rivian's charge port door which is motorized and moves on two axis vs the spring loaded gas cap flap. Or the air suspension vs traditional coils. Or the motorized door handles. Two motorized trunks. Sensors everywhere. There is just so much that can break on these vehicles. And it isn't just theoretical. In the first 6 months I have been back for repairs 4 times.

On top of that, Rivian service centers have really high billing rates and take their time (a recent repair estimate someone posted on the forms showed Rivian was going to bill 0.5H of labor to remove the floor mats). And at least near term, it is not an option to take the vehicle somewhere else.

Frequent Repairs X Expensive Repairs X no alternatives = a really good reason to get out before the warranty expires.

TheRiviAnswer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

About PPF... put a condom on your truck if you wish.

Joke aside, what people don't consider about PPF:
- initial cost (ok, most people consider this)
- It has an 8 to 10 year lifespan. You will have to pay to have it removed and redone. You wait too long and it could be rather difficult to remove
- if you scratch one area, it's going to look terrible until you pay to have it removed and redone (similar to an actual scratch)
- Why are you doing it? For "matte/satin" aesthetics-- ok sure if that's your thing. To preserve resale value? Don't forget to factor in what you paid and how much really fewer rock chips will make a difference in resale.

That said, if I lived in an area notorious for rock chips, like AZ, I would consider PPF on the front and hood
Sponsored