First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
I just got the email invite to the R1S Shop and see they're moving quickly... Can someone that's been through the process offer some insight?

How often does this inventory update? Range is what's most important to me so I really want the 21" tires... which for some reason they don't have many of in the list.

What is your experience on delivery time? When do you start the Trade-in process?

All the best!!

Thanks in advance!

-Jared
Sponsored

mifj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT
I can’t tell how long they will last in shop, I got one last week, at that time only 8 R1S in the shop. I want 21in tires but none of them are equipped with 21in. Most of them with all terrain upgrade.

OP
OP

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
I can’t tell how long they will last in shop, I got one last week, at that time only 8 R1S in the shop. I want 21in tires but none of them are equipped with 21in. Most of them with all terrain upgrade.
You don't lose access to the shop, do you?

lennierb5

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Inventory seems to move all the time, there was one I was interested in that was on and off within 10 minutes. Others stayed there for my entire time with access to the shop, it's very dynamic and if you see one you like, I'd jump on it.

I selected a vehicle from the shop on Monday, filled in trade in info but it is still "in review". I can't move to any other steps like financing until the trade in offer is completed it seems. From what I can tell, the process after that is to either accept or deny their offer, then if I accepted, I'd bring it in when I pick up the Rivian.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
They move quickly. Some days a few are posted, other days it's dozens. I picked mine a few Thursdays ago when they posted 36 in the shop all at one time ... and all were gone by the next morning. You pretty much need to decide ahead of time what configurations you will accept, and when you see one, go for it. It may be gone 10 minutes later.

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
I got access last night. Started out with 15 or so R1Ss. Numbers varied up and down a little, but didn't seem like things were moving much. This morning, the number of trucks were almost double with many from last night still there. My exact config was there and I pulled the trigger. Seemingly very recent VIN 115xx and likely still in Normal. Currently stuck within the 8 steps waiting on Rivian to provide exact amount with fees and taxes.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

You pretty much need to decide ahead of time what configurations you will accept, and when you see one, go for it. It may be gone 10 minutes later.
This is great advice, especially if you have to take another person’s likes and dislikes into account.

My husband and I decided in advance what was an absolute requirement (20” AT and underbody shield for us) and what was preference, like exterior and interior colors. Then we ranked them all (in a spreadsheet because we’re both nerds) and decided that we were only going to consider something from our top 5 choices for the first week of shop access. After that first week we figured we could decide if we wanted to stick to ideal configs or cast a wider net and also include acceptable.

As it turned out I saw our top pick for exterior + interior color with 20” AT and underbody shield on the 3rd day of shop access so I immediately selected it without having to text/call for consultation, or even think about it. Knowing what we wanted in advance made the selection easy and eliminated the chance of any nasty surprises.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I've had shop access for the better part of a year, though not continuously throughout. In fact, for reasons I won't bother you with, I lost access about eight weeks ago, and just today got notified that I have access again. I'm also on my third Rivian guide, but I digress.

About the R1 Shop, the inventory you see is not necessarily what other folks see. I don't know how they match you with available inventory and why the shop view is not universal though. As folks have already pointed out, the available inventory varies a lot, some days only one or two, other times a lot. I've seen as many as 34 but today for example there are only two. There are also stretches with nothing available, again sometimes just a day, other times for several.

Again as others have already pointed out, if you see something you like, you should click on the "Confirm Configuration" button right away. If you don't do that and initiate the purchase process, there's not any guarantee the same vehicle will be there later. As far as the purchase process, it takes a few days for things to percolate through the Rivian system, but eventually you'll need to go through the purchasing steps on the Rivian website. The process isn't always well-explained, but you can ask your guide for help.

If you have a change of heart about your selection, you can detach from the vehicle (or more accurately, ask your Guide to detach you) and take your place back in line again. I don't know if there's an adverse impact to your delivery date if you do this, but otherwise it's kind of a "no harm, no foul" thing. So for example, if you have pre-March '22 pricing, you retain that after detaching.

One piece of advice I can provide is to find out what your delivery options are before making a selection from the shop. The delivery address in your profile will be used to determine where your Rivian is shipped to from the Normal, IL factory. By default, the Rivian system makes the address you initially provide also your delivery address. You can elect to change your delivery address however, but you need to do so before your begin the purchase process.

An example: Let's say your permanent address ties you the Brooklyn, NY service center. If that's the case, your Rivian will be sent there, and since that center is overwhelmed with both service work and deliveries, more likely than not (or so it seems from the posts I've seen), home delivery will not be an option, regardless of how far away you are. That may not be the case for other nearby service centers, and it may well be that even if they also won't deliver to home, they may be easier to get to than slogging through North Jersey and then Manhattan or Staten Island to get to Brooklyn.

To continue with the example, if you were to change your delivery address to say, your brother-in-law's place in Wilmington, DE, your vehicle will be sent to a MD service center from Normal. While that MD service center may also be too busy to provide home delivery, it may be far easier to get to than Brooklyn if you have go there for pick-up. Just keep in mind that home delivery would mean to your delivery address and that you will still be tied to the SC per your permanent address (meaning the dreaded Brooklyn SC in my case - 120 miles and sevaral hours in heavy traffic away). This probably doesn't matter for a lot of folks, but if you live near Boston, NYC and perhaps some other congested places, it could make life a bit easier.

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I've had shop access for the better part of a year, though not continuously throughout. In fact, for reasons I won't bother you with, I lost access about eight weeks ago, and just today got notified that I have access again. I'm also on my third Rivian guide, but I digress.

About the R1 Shop, the inventory you see is not necessarily what other folks see. I don't know how they match you with available inventory and why the shop view is not universal though. As folks have already pointed out, the available inventory varies a lot, some days only one or two, other times a lot. I've seen as many as 34 but today for example there are only two. There are also stretches with nothing available, again sometimes just a day, other times for several.

Again as others have already pointed out, if you see something you like, you should click on the "Confirm Configuration" button right away. If you don't do that and initiate the purchase process, there's not any guarantee the same vehicle will be there later. As far as the purchase process, it takes a few days for things to percolate through the Rivian system, but eventually you'll need to go through the purchasing steps on the Rivian website. The process isn't always well-explained, but you can ask your guide for help.

If you have a change of heart about your selection, you can detach from the vehicle (or more accurately, ask your Guide to detach you) and take your place back in line again. I don't know if there's an adverse impact to your delivery date if you do this, but otherwise it's kind of a "no harm, no foul" thing. So for example, if you have pre-March '22 pricing, you retain that after detaching.

One piece of advice I can provide is to find out what your delivery options are before making a selection from the shop. The delivery address in your profile will be used to determine where your Rivian is shipped to from the Normal, IL factory. By default, the Rivian system makes the address you initially provide also your delivery address. You can elect to change your delivery address however, but you need to do so before your begin the purchase process.

An example: Let's say your permanent address ties you the Brooklyn, NY service center. If that's the case, your Rivian will be sent there, and since that center is overwhelmed with both service work and deliveries, more likely than not (or so it seems from the posts I've seen), home delivery will not be an option, regardless of how far away you are. That may not be the case for other nearby service centers, and it may well be that even if they also won't deliver to home, they may be easier to get to than slogging through North Jersey and then Manhattan or Staten Island to get to Brooklyn.

To continue with the example, if you were to change your delivery address to say, your brother-in-law's place in Wilmington, DE, your vehicle will be sent to a MD service center from Normal. While that MD service center may also be too busy to provide home delivery, it may be far easier to get to than Brooklyn if you have go there for pick-up. Just keep in mind that home delivery would mean to your delivery address and that you will still be tied to the SC per your permanent address (meaning the dreaded Brooklyn SC in my case - 120 miles and sevaral hours in heavy traffic away). This probably doesn't matter for a lot of folks, but if you live near Boston, NYC and perhaps some other congested places, it could make life a bit easier.
No MD SC just yet. Capital Heights is a non-customer-facing SC. I was told we would take delivery from Richmond, VA. We aren't that far from you if your in SE PA. We are near Frederick, MD.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
This is great advice, especially if you have to take another person’s likes and dislikes into account.

My husband and I decided in advance what was an absolute requirement (20” AT and underbody shield for us) and what was preference, like exterior and interior colors. Then we ranked them all (in a spreadsheet because we’re both nerds) and decided that we were only going to consider something from our top 5 choices for the first week of shop access. After that first week we figured we could decide if we wanted to stick to ideal configs or cast a wider net and also include acceptable.

As it turned out I saw our top pick for exterior + interior color with 20” AT and underbody shield on the 3rd day of shop access so I immediately selected it without having to text/call for consultation, or even think about it. Knowing what we wanted in advance made the selection easy and eliminated the chance of any nasty surprises.
How long did it take to arrive?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How long did it take to arrive?
I selected it on Thursday, May 25th and we should take delivery the week of June 12th.

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I live in northern MD near PA and right now the First Drive is linked to Brooklyn SC which I haven't done yet because I have no desire to make the trip up and back which will cost hundreds no matter how I travel. I have tried to get one closer but no open timeslots.

Are you saying I could add a second address for delivery that would be further south and get attached to the Richmond SC? That would probably have less people than NYC and surrounding area.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
I live in northern MD near PA and right now the First Drive is linked to Brooklyn SC which I haven't done yet because I have no desire to make the trip up and back which will cost hundreds no matter how I travel. I have tried to get one closer but no open timeslots.

Are you saying I could add a second address for delivery that would be further south and get attached to the Richmond SC? That would probably have less people than NYC and surrounding area.
I've done two First Drives, one near my home where they picked me up and one in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn one was terrible because the traffic is endless and there are 25 mph speed cameras everywhere. It's not Rivian's fault but their location in Brooklyn make test drives a waste of time for people coming all that way. If you're local or plan to test stop and go traffic then it's terrific but don't expect to do a lot more than that.
Sponsored