First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1988 BMW M6, Jeep Grand Cherokees, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Financial
I've been reading the forum for months but just decided today to join and contribute as today I drove the R1T!

Received an email Tuesday am and I scheduled for today in NY Metro area. Wonderful Rivian employee Pete was my Rivian Demo Driver and showed up at my home (Rivian gives you an option on where you'd like to meet). The R1T was LA Silver pre=production vehicle with Forest Edge interior and was beautiful (I have a pre-order for El Cap Granite, Max Pack with 20" AT Wheels). (You are required to wear a mask and keep windows down for Covid precautions.)

A few impressions as I think about them...in no priority order:

1. The 20" AT tires seem much bigger than I expected, look a bit massive actually, and look awesome.
2. The standard rims for the 20" are more attractive than I thought....the inner section is darker than expected and, well, they just look excellent.
3. Vehicle size is perfect (for me, at least). The design makes the truck look sporty/ a bit edgy. REALLY liked it.
4. Ride quality is quite impressive. Smooth, you don't feel like you're in a heavy truck at all. Handling is superb. Feels like a sports car.
5. Took it to an amusement park's empty parking lot for some testing and a policeman came barreling over and stopped us.....only because he knew about and was interested in Rivian and wanted to discuss. I told him I was doing the First Mile Drive and he just said: "HAVE FUN". Did some tight S turns. With the windows down you could hear the AT tires a bit during the tight, hard turns....no surprise there. I never felt even close to losing traction/control.
6. Interior quality is really nice. My wife was in backseat entire time and said it was very comfortable.
7. The sunroof is gorgeous.
8. There is a small, for lack of a better word, spoiler, over the back window which looks sporty/racy. It's a small detail but was a surprise to me and I loved it.
9. Acceleration is what everyone expects.....I couldn't punch it completely (Friday afternoon traffic in NY metro area isn't very forgiving) but its plenty powerful.
10. Audio quality was great ( I'm into audio quality, high end equipment, etc. and I was impressed).
11. The tonneau cover looks great but on this vehicle (possibly onthe pre-production vehicles acc. to Pete?)t wasn't working so I couldn't see it roll up. It was covering the bed the whole time so I couldn't get in there and get a real feel for truck bed size.
12. However, the truck bed...with the door open, will probably be sufficient for most of the stuff we all want to do.
13. The truck is very quiet.
14. The Touch Screens seem good....I probably should have spent more time assessing but time allotment was short.
15. I did notice, I think, a slight difference in width of seams between the sides of the truck bed door....again, pre production vehicle, so likely to be fixed.
16. Initially, months ago, the lights struck me as a bit odd. Before today I had decided they were cool....after today I think they're fantastic....they look high end and have some little details (like Rivian branding) that make them look top quality. Both front and rear lighting was great.
17. Gear tunnel is as expected.....a bonus.
18. The sound you hear when signaling to go left or right....is that of a heartbeat (interesting touch).
19. Initial impression of getting into the truck is that it was a little higher step up than I expected.
20. The visibility as you're driving, due to the design of the truck, the slopes/angles, etc....is Fantastic.

I probably left out some stuff and will contribute later if it comes to mind. I'll leave with what's running through my mind right now:

A) This is a fantastic machine in all aspects.​
B) The size of the tires relative to the truck were what impressed me the most....they make a beautiful truck look bad **s.​

Updated with some photos:

Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review IMG_1455

Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review IMG_1454

Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review IMG_1452

Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review IMG_1453

Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review IMG_1459
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Great review. On the higher than expected step up, do you know what height it was set at? Was it at the lowest possible height?

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial
Great review. On the higher than expected step up, do you know what height it was set at? Was it at the lowest possible height?
Thanks. I don't recall at what height but am sure it was not at highest level as we discussed that but never got there. Probably worth reiterating how good the visibility was and how connected I felt to the truck...really smooth.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I've been reading the forum for months but just decided today to join and contribute as today I drove the R1T!

Received an email Tuesday am and I scheduled for today in NY Metro area. Wonderful Rivian employee Pete was my Rivian Demo Driver and showed up at my home (Rivian gives you an option on where you'd like to meet). The R1T was LA Silver pre=production vehicle with Forest Edge interior and was beautiful (I have a pre-order for El Cap Granite, Max Pack with 20" AT Wheels). (You are required to wear a mask and keep windows down for Covid precautions.)

1. The 20" AT tires seem much bigger than I expected, look a bit massive actually, and look awesome.
2. The standard rims for the 20" are more attractive than I thought....the inner section is darker than expected and, well, they just look excellent.
3. Vehicle size is perfect (for me, at least). The design makes the truck look sporty/ a bit edgy. REALLY liked it.
4. Ride quality is quite impressive. Smooth, you don't feel like you're in a heavy truck at all. Handling is superb. Feels like a sports car.
5. Took it to an amusement park's empty parking lot for some testing and a policeman came barreling over and stopped us.....only because he knew about and was interested in Rivian and wanted to discuss. I told him I was doing the First Mile Drive and he just said: "HAVE FUN". Did some tight S turns. With the windows down you could hear the AT tires a bit during the tight, hard turns....no surprise there. I never felt even close to losing traction/control.
6. Interior quality is really nice. My wife was in backseat entire time and said it was very comfortable.
8. There is a small, for lack of a better word, spoiler, over the back window which looks sporty/racy. It's a small detail but was a surprise to me and I loved it.
9. Acceleration is what everyone expects.....I couldn't punch it completely (Friday afternoon traffic in NY metro area isn't very forgiving) but its plenty powerful.
10. Audio quality was great ( I'm into audio quality, high end equipment, etc. and I was impressed).
11. The tonneau cover looks great but on this vehicle (possibly onthe pre-production vehicles acc. to Pete?)t wasn't working so I couldn't see it roll up. It was covering the bed the whole time so I couldn't get in there and get a real feel for truck bed size.
12. However, the truck bed...with the door open, will probably be sufficient for most of the stuff we all want to do.
14. The Touch Screens seem good....I probably should have spent more time assessing but time allotment was short.
15. I did notice, I think, a slight difference in width of seams between the sides of the truck bed door....again, pre production vehicle, so likely to be fixed.
16. Initially, months ago, the lights struck me as a bit odd. Before today I had decided they were cool....after today I think they're fantastic....they look high end and have some little details (like Rivian branding) that make them look top quality. Both front and rear lighting was great.
18. The sound you hear when signaling to go left or right....is that of a heartbeat (interesting touch).
19. Initial impression of getting into the truck is that it was a little higher step up than I expected.
20. The visibility as you're driving, due to the design of the truck, the slopes/angles, etc....is Fantastic.

I probably left out some stuff and will contribute later if it comes to mind. I'll leave with what's running through my mind right now:
A) This is a fantastic machine in all aspects.
B) The size of the tires relative to the truck were what impressed me the most....they make a beautiful truck look bad **s.
Awesome - for other NY people on long island, think about going to Ocean parkway, usually very light traffic,

A) This is a fantastic machine in all aspects.
B) The size of the tires relative to the truck were what impressed me the most....they make a beautiful truck look bad **s.
Awesome! Conscious decision not to post pics? Just asking because mine is next week in NY

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The legend of the inaccessible tonneau cover continues! Starting to wonder if every R1T won't come equipped with a Rivian employee to say "woah woah woah, slow your jets there" every time you even think about activating the cover. Maybe that's SasquWatch's true job.

One day...
Rivian R1T R1S Just Finished NY First Mile Drive. My R1T impressions & Review W8jn8fP

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial
Awesome - for other NY people on long island, think about going to Ocean parkway, usually very light traffic,

Awesome! Conscious decision not to post pics? Just asking because mine is next week in NY
Yes, the pics aren't special or different from anything we've seen......I'll look to see if one provides good size perspective....

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

There has been some debate in the color threads, but what did you think of the LA Silver/Forest Edge combination? Did it work well or did the Forest Edge interior seem like an odd match with the LA Silver?

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial
There has been some debate in the color threads, but what did you think of the LA Silver/Forest Edge combination? Did it work well or did the Forest Edge interior seem like an odd match with the LA Silver?
LA Silver was nice....but not different than other silver colors around. IMO. The Forest Edge was nice....more subtle than I thought it would be......and was not too green. The combo looked good together.

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Love the look of the tunnel without the shuttle. What did you think?

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial
Love the look of the tunnel without the shuttle. What did you think?
Agree....I'll find multiple uses for that space.....and having the door to sit/stand on is a nice plus and will be useful.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Thanks for posting. I love it when the law pulls up to…check out your ride…

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
Thank you for these observations. I have been particularly interested in the visibility. I have a Tacoma I use as a farm truck now and the visibility through the front windshield is terrible, to say nothing of the performance.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Do you know if the heartbeat sound can be changed? I hope so. I know some people who might refuse to ride in the vehicle if they had to hear that at every turn.
Sponsored