Sponsored
OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
I weighed the 2 options and not much of a difference in weight... guess the weight of the tires is incorrect on tirerack.

I guess the efficiency is about right considering this new info...i think to get any tire in these sizes with 51 max psi I think are all basically xl rated so they are just heavier
Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221105_164903

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221105_165003
Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Does anyone know if the 21 stock tires have the sound dampening foam in the tires?
No. None of the Rivian Pirelli tires have the foam. I with they or someone would make them. I’m sensitive to the constant tire sound emoted on tires without foam.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Definitely different look with the road tires however I can for sure say the 20s look better than the 21s in person even with road tires. Also one of the main reasons for me changing was the tire options... you get 1 tire option with 21s
I'm planning to get the 20" bright wheels for my R1S just because I like how they look. I will likely mount 275/60R20 all-season tires like you did for better efficiency, a bigger sidewall than the 21's, and more tire options in the future. Now that you've had the Scorpion tires on 20" wheels for a couple of weeks, would you recommend them over the 21's?

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
I'm planning to get the 20" bright wheels for my R1S just because I like how they look. I will likely mount 275/60R20 all-season tires like you did for better efficiency, a bigger sidewall than the 21's, and more tire options in the future. Now that you've had the Scorpion tires on 20" wheels for a couple of weeks, would you recommend them over the 21's?
So far they feel exactly the same so if you want the 20s I would say go for it... my disappointment is that the 20s setup isn't that much lighter than the 21s therefore it isn't any more efficient.

But the 20s are as quiet and comfortable as the 21s and just as efficient. I definitely think the 20s look better though and obviously more choices on tires and cheaper

Taiga

First Name
Taiga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, e-Golf
Occupation
Self employed
Will someone try out the Michelin Defender? Very curious to see what the efficiency is. It's closer to the overall diameter of the stock AT20's so it's not going to add miles to your odometer. It also will have similar proportions to the truck given its 34" diameter. I'm assuming it will get similar efficiency numbers to the 21"s or the Pirelli AS 3 plus. It is a heavier tire but I'm thinking tread pattern matters more than weight.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rivrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (White w/ ocean coast 20" AT)
Occupation
Engineer
So far they feel exactly the same so if you want the 20s I would say go for it... my disappointment is that the 20s setup isn't that much lighter than the 21s therefore it isn't any more efficient.
This is awesome! thank you very much for testing and posting this! I'm for sure getting 275/60R20 A/S for my 20". My truck is coming this Saturday :D

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The two all season tires I’m interested in that have 275/60/20 are:

Nokian One HT - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-one-ht/p/87959
Falken Wildpeak HT02 - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-h-t-ht02/p/44944

The Falken sidewall still looks aggressive and has an all terrain look and both should be better than the 21” Pirelli tires in snow.

They are available in 275/65/20 but those Falken tires in that size are insanely heavy at 62 lbs since they are LT tires. Nokians are 46 lbs. Also both only have 112 mph speed rating, cost more, and have lower mileage warranty in 275/65/20.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
The two all season tires I’m interested in that have 275/60/20 are:

Nokian One HT - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-one-ht/p/87959
Falken Wildpeak HT02 - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-h-t-ht02/p/44944

The Falken sidewall still looks aggressive and has an all terrain look and both should be better than the 21” Pirelli tires in snow.

They are available in 275/65/20 but those Falken tires in that size are insanely heavy at 62 lbs since they are LT tires. Nokians are 46 lbs. Also both only have 112 mph speed rating, cost more, and have lower mileage warranty in 275/65/20.
The falken looks great but those nokians look a little shady with the sides having no opening for water to tread out. These tires do weigh a ton though...I want to try these tires but I also want to try the Falken ziex ct60

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I also want to try the Falken ziex ct60
FWIW, Consumer Reports says the Ziex CT60 is a strong performer in snow traction, rolling resistance, and quietness. Also, its load rating is 116 XL, whereas most other 275/60R20 tires are rated 115 SL (which some tire shops may refuse to install).
However, it is heavier than the Scorpion AS+3 (46 vs 38 lbs). Ride comfort is probably better with the Scorpion.

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Falken Ziex CT60 A:S

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The falken looks great but those nokians look a little shady with the sides having no opening for water to tread out. These tires do weigh a ton though...
Thats an interesting observation. I have the predecessor to these, the entyre 2.0 and entyre c/s on other cars and they have been excellent in all weather conditions. I can’t imagine they’d go backwards in wet weather performance with a new model.

I wonder how much weight impacts range. Is 10 lbs 1-2% or more like 3-5%?

Sponsored

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
FWIW, Consumer Reports says the Ziex CT60 is a strong performer in snow traction, rolling resistance, and quietness. Also, its load rating is 116 XL, whereas most other 275/60R20 tires are rated 115 SL (which some tire shops may refuse to install).
However, it is heavier than the Scorpion AS+3 (46 vs 38 lbs). Ride comfort is probably better with the Scorpion.

Falken Ziex CT60 A:S.jpg
i wonder what kind of difference there are between these and the falken wildpeak though...also the weight of the pirellis are wrong...they are not 38lbs like it says on tirerack and more like 46lbs as ive mentioned that the weight of the 20s with pirellis is almost the same as the 21s and pirellis.

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Thats an interesting observation. I have the predecessor to these, the entyre 2.0 and entyre c/s on other cars and they have been excellent in all weather conditions. I can’t imagine they’d go backwards in wet weather performance with a new model.

I wonder how much weight impacts range. Is 10 lbs 1-2% or more like 3-5%?
the reason i say this is because i remember back when the bfg ko1 tires were out many people complained about wet traction and mud traction. they were not very good in those conditions but when the ko2s came out they made cuts so the water and mud can get out and everyone raved about the tires having fixed those prior problems.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Will someone try out the Michelin Defender? Very curious to see what the efficiency is. It's closer to the overall diameter of the stock AT20's so it's not going to add miles to your odometer. It also will have similar proportions to the truck given its 34" diameter. I'm assuming it will get similar efficiency numbers to the 21"s or the Pirelli AS 3 plus. It is a heavier tire but I'm thinking tread pattern matters more than weight.
My guess is the Michelin Defender is rated for longer wear, made out of a harder compound with a higher rolling resistance.

That's just a guess, though, based on years-past experience with other Michelins on hybrid sedans. I haven't specifically looked at the Defender model that fits the R1S.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
i wonder what kind of difference there are between these and the falken wildpeak though
CR rates the Wildpeak HT02 tire worse than the Ziex CT60 in every category, including wet braking, snow traction, and rolling resistance.

Are you looking for other tires to try because you're not happy with the Scorpion AS+3's ?

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Falken Wildpeak HT02

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
CR rates the Wildpeak HT02 tire worse than the Ziex CT60 in every category, including wet braking, snow traction, and rolling resistance.

Are you looking for other tires to try because you're not happy with the Scorpion AS+3's ?

Falken Wildpeak HT02.jpg
I'm very happy with the scorpion as3+ but I'm always looking to see if there is a better tire... my main concern is comfortable and quiet ride which these have but just wondering if there is something quieter.

I really wish they would put some foam in these tires though as I have noticed the foam takes away some frequencies and definitely makes it sound a touch quieter.

Also as another update I've been driving with these scorpion as3+s for about 3k miles now and it seems like I'm getting better efficiency as I've been driving with some heat in the mornings at about 40-60f temps averaging 2.45mi/kwh. Seems very good in these conditions.
Sponsored