atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Why was the subterfuge required at Discount Tire? As long as it wasn’t a safety thing and they didn’t have to modify/cut anything and you had the cash, why would they care?
Sponsored

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Why was the subterfuge required at Discount Tire? As long as it wasn’t a safety thing and they didn’t have to modify/cut anything and you had the cash, why would they care?
It was a safety thing... they said that the 115 load rating wasn't enough and had to be at least 116 for them to do it

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Couldn’t agree more. I have the 20’s with AT… and if the the 20’s came from Rivian with road centric tires , I think I would have just chose the 21’s. The 20’s with those tires seem ‘muted ‘. Seeing these SBS pics make me realize that the major appeal in my decision to go with the 20’s was really how the R1T looked with the right tires.
Definitely different look with the road tires however I can for sure say the 20s look better than the 21s in person even with road tires. Also one of the main reasons for me changing was the tire options... you get 1 tire option with 21s

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Definitely different look with the road tires however I can for sure say the 20s look better than the 21s in person even with road tires. Also one of the main reasons for me changing was the tire options... you get 1 tire option with 21s
Yeah I think I’ll be switching to the 20s for no other reason than having a reasonable choice in tires. I waffled 97 times before soft-locking my config with the 21s, before realizing I couldn’t change back without a schedule hit.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Yeah I think I’ll be switching to the 20s for no other reason than having a reasonable choice in tires. I waffled 97 times before soft-locking my config with the 21s, before realizing I couldn’t change back without a schedule hit.
Same. Between that and exterior color. So got stuck with 21s and LA Silver....

At least I can change tires now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Does anyone know if the 21 stock tires have the sound dampening foam in the tires?

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Did the same with Dark 22's and made my change with 2 minutes to spare before 10/16 deadline to Dark 20's. In hindsight maybe I should've stayed with 21's and got them powder coated and then just buy extra Dark 20's or even bright ones and have them satin powder coated.

Taiga

First Name
Taiga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, e-Golf
Occupation
Self employed
Can't wait to hear how efficiency is with the new tires. Thanks for guinea pigging this one. I had the same idea just no truck yet.

I like the way it looks lowered but on the high setting the tires start to look a bit small in proportion to the truck. Wondering if there will be an all season 34" tire for the 20" wheels ? Haven't found any so far.

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
So I have now driven about 300 miles half city and half highway at about 70mph and unfortunately looks like I'm only getting same efficiency as 21". Weather was about 70f and little wind.

On conserve mode im getting right around 2.6 miles/kw to get right about 340 miles. I was really hoping to get better range as this setup is about 15lbs lighter than the 21"setup.

I will keep testing the range over the next couple weeks... also I'm starting to think pirelli put in the sound dampening foam in the tires for 21"

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
So I have now driven about 300 miles half city and half highway at about 70mph and unfortunately looks like I'm only getting same efficiency as 21".
That's still very good news. Now we know that you can get the look of the 20" wheels with the efficiency of the 21's.

Sponsored

Taiga

First Name
Taiga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, e-Golf
Occupation
Self employed
So I have now driven about 300 miles half city and half highway at about 70mph and unfortunately looks like I'm only getting same efficiency as 21". Weather was about 70f and little wind.

On conserve mode im getting right around 2.6 miles/kw to get right about 340 miles. I was really hoping to get better range as this setup is about 15lbs lighter than the 21"setup.

I will keep testing the range over the next couple weeks... also I'm starting to think pirelli put in the sound dampening foam in the tires for 21"
So there's more road noise?

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
So there's more road noise?
I wouldn't say more road noise but slightly different noise... on certain rough roads there is kind of like an echo noise... hard to explain but just different in a way that makes me feel like there is foam in there.

I wish someone could confirm... typically they had pncs on them if they had the foam but the stock 21s didn't have that

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Quick update I've driven about 1500 miles so far on these tires and tires are still extremely quiet and smooth... in conserve mode getting the same if not possibly slightly better efficiency than the 21s.

I'm on a road trip now going slightly higher elevation averaging 73mph I'm getting 2.34mi/kwh... but I think the mph is off as I've been driving 78mph for 99 percent of the drive. Temps are 70 outside so no ac or heat

Efficiency is better than I thought going 80mph but I haven't done an efficiency test driving this fast on the 21s so I may put those back on to test those at these speeds... also to see if it feels better or worse and noise.

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221101_105736

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Thanks. Aboutt the same efficiency I'm getting with my 21 with aero covers removed

Taiga

First Name
Taiga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, e-Golf
Occupation
Self employed
That’s awesome! Thanks for testing. Would you mind posting some more photos of different angles and ride heights?
Sponsored