Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Will consider switching to 20" when closer to needing new tires. Like the look of them better. Maybe other 21" wheel options will be available by them as well.

Do tires need to be EV rated or will any wheel work?

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Will consider switching to 20" when closer to needing new tires. Like the look of them better. Maybe other 21" wheel options will be available by them as well.

i highly doubt more 21" tire options are going to be available any time soon as there arent enough of a market for that size.

also tires just need to be rated to handle the load and if you worry about efficiency then ev rated...if you dont get the low resistance tires then you will just lose a little bit of efficiency.

also any wheel wont work if it cant also handle the load...every wheel has a load rating...the more reputable wheel companies will have tested this and have it posted but if a wheel company doesnt have it then i wouldnt buy them.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

So sounds like I'll be moving to the 20 AT in 2-3 years once current tires are worn out.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow ok well I hope tirerack is sending out the right ones because on their site it says 115h
The 22's that shipped with my truck are 115H. I wonder if Rivian bumped the spec up to 116H for the Max Pack trucks...

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

Any tire will work as long as it meet's two specs: load and speed ratings. As for wheels/rims, they have load ratings as well and with the 7000 lb and max gvwr, beware of getting sub-spec rims and tires, IMO.

amhawk60

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lexus rx330
Occupation
medical research
Right but every sl tire I've seen seems to have a max pressure of 44psi and only the xls I've seen were able to get up to 51psi but I guess I was wrong.

Also the other dilemma I was having was choosing the right tire which I decided I was going to go with the pirelli scorpion as plus 3 but when I called pirelli they told me the sites info was wrong and max pressure was 44psi on those.

Well I went to discount tire where I had some ordered just now and it actually does say max pressure off 51psi so instead of the continental I'm going with the pirelli as those had better reviews especially for comfort.

Either way I'm pretty excited to try out a highway tire on the 20s to see if they get the same or possibly more miles that the 21s. The 20s are lighter and the pirelli tires only weigh 38 lbs vs 48 lbs on the a/ts
Please post on what you find. I am very interested in this topic. thx

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
A lot of people do not care for the look of the 21", this is the main reason I got the 20". I was able to purchase a set of 21" and did some cosmetic changes. I think, now, I actually like them better. The difference is subtle but I find it much better looking. I will use the 20" for my snow tires in the winter. At least this method gives you a choice you may not have thought about.

I only matched and airbrushed the outer polished rim of the 21". It did take a while to mask. After spraying the color, I remasked and sprayed clear coat so as not to leave a "lip" at the edge of the paint.

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 1.00.28 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 1.00.46 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 1.01.00 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 1.01.15 PM

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Just picked up tpms and center caps for the 20s just now... if anyone's interested I have posted pictures below of the tpms in case you think some aftermarket ones will work

In here at discount tire and definitely had to have them think I'm installing these on a different truck...I told them a navigator but it would be better if you found a truck that has these similar specs on tires and tpms that use 433hz frequency as they kept telling me not to install these tpms on these wheels lol... even though it clearly has rivian on the wheels in bright yellow 🤣

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221025_110313
Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221025_110324

Sponsored

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Initial impressions of the 275/60/20 pirelli scorpion as plus 3s vs stock 21 pirellis is that they feel slightly more compliant/ comfortable... other than that there seems to be no difference in noise feel.

I've driven about 20 miles on the highway in comfort and seems to be getting about the same efficiency also but I'm going to charge to 100% tonight and drive it down to 0 in the next couple days to compare... weather for next 3 days are going to be about 70f and sunny so prefect timing.

Also included a picture of the difference between the looks of 20 vs 21 side by side

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221025_135155

Rivian R1T R1S Just bought new OEM factory 20" AT wheels 20221025_132550

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Initial impressions of the 275/60/20 pirelli scorpion as plus 3s vs stock 21 pirellis is that they feel slightly more compliant/ comfortable... other than that there seems to be no difference in noise feel.

I've driven about 20 miles on the highway in comfort and seems to be getting about the same efficiency also but I'm going to charge to 100% tonight and drive it down to 0 in the next couple days to compare... weather for next 3 days are going to be about 70f and sunny so prefect timing.

Also included a picture of the difference between the looks of 20 vs 21 side by side

20221025_135155.jpg

20221025_132550.jpg
Thank you for posting! SBS pics are incredibly helpful.

Also the first pic I’ve seen of the 20s wearing road tires. It occurs to me that much of the aesthetic appeal (to me) of the 20s is the tires. I still love the 20” wheels, but they take on a very different look with roads vs. ATs.

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x

Also the first pic I’ve seen of the 20s wearing road tires. It occurs to me that much of the aesthetic appeal (to me) of the 20s is the tires. I still love the 20” wheels, but they take on a very different look with roads vs. ATs.
Absolutely...I definitely like the aggressive looking tires better but definitely don't want to daily with them... plus I really want the efficiency which I feel like I'm always chasing.

I really do hope these end up being a little more efficient as the entire setup is about 15 lbs lighter than the 21s

dsps70

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model sP90D/ ram 1500/lexus 350RH
Occupation
medicine

Couldn’t agree more. I have the 20’s with AT… and if the the 20’s came from Rivian with road centric tires , I think I would have just chose the 21’s. The 20’s with those tires seem ‘muted ‘. Seeing these SBS pics make me realize that the major appeal in my decision to go with the 20’s was really how the R1T looked with the right tires.
Sponsored