Sponsored

Jump starting an ICE vehicle from the power port?

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
I’m not sure this has been asked and answered before, but I imagine a Rivian could jumpstart an ICE vehicle using the onboard power ports. Can anyone confirm this, and what cables would be needed to keep in the vehicle in order to do this?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
How and why would you jumpstart a car from a 110 outlet or 12v cigarette lighter plug, when you could use regular jumper cables from the 12v battery, or, even safer, use a booster pack. https://no.co/products/power/boost

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How and why would you jumpstart a car from a 110 outlet or 12v cigarette lighter plug, when you could use regular jumper cables from the 12v battery, or, even safer, use a booster pack. https://no.co/products/power/boost
Rivian user manual says to never jump another vehicle. I'm guessing the 12V batteries aren't high enough capacity and bad things might happen when the other vehicle's alternator kicks on.

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Tesla and the VW/Porsche EV’s are the same way, don’t attach to the 12V battery to jump another vehicle. The small 12V lithium batteries they use are not up to the task. They’re really just a buffer and power supply for the onboard 12V systems which recharges off the main pack.

At this point I think the only EV that has the capability is the F-150 Lightning with its dual 12V batteries up front. I don’t know how capable it is in this regard, but Ford guys at the test drive event were saying it could do it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Booster pack is the way to go, these days.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If I specifically wanted to use the Rivian's 120VAC outliet, I would go with something like this. Battery charger and boost starter. But these have a low duty cycle, such as 3 seconds cranking and 300 seconds cooldown.
Rivian R1T R1S Jump starting an ICE vehicle from the power port? 1638070642455
Sponsored