First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Everybody wants on the Munro gravy train.
I guess it's good for their two audiences to intersect.
Zack could do another vid having the Munro folks advise on how to complete his Hummer EV. : )

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Everybody wants on the Munro gravy train.
I guess it's good for their two audiences to intersect.
Zack could do another vid having the Munro folks advise on how to complete his Hummer EV. : )
Munroe JRE Hummer teardown:

"Way too many fasteners! This whole vehicle should be single-use injection molded plastic!"

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

"I'm starting to think that the reason these trucks are so expensive is because they wrote Rivian all over the place"
:CWL:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Overall a great video but I REALLY liked hearing Munro go into detail on the tonneau issues.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Overall a great video but I REALLY liked hearing Munro go into detail on the tonneau issues.
His “solution” doesn’t make sense. A second motor doesn’t prevent the slats from incorrectly joining (shouldn’t be flat, but some are) nor does it address the physical clearance issues that seem to be linked to thermal expansion.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

His “solution” doesn’t make sense. A second motor doesn’t prevent the slats from incorrectly joining (shouldn’t be flat, but some are) nor does it address the physical clearance issues that seem to be linked to thermal expansion.
But it would overcome the resistance from the springs. Will be interesting what solution they come up.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
But it would overcome the resistance from the springs. Will be interesting what solution they come up.
There are issues that aren't caused by the springs, though. In fact, I'm not sure that the springs are even an issue, at all... Even if they are, they are not the only or even primary issue.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
There are issues that aren't caused by the springs, though. In fact, I'm not sure that the springs are even an issue, at all... Even if they are, they are not the only or even primary issue.
I’m REALLY curious about how the fix is going to address the cover jamming due to thermal expansion in hot weather. To date that’s the only tonneau issue I’ve had. Guessing they’ll either change the material or trim the width.

And I’m not watching Munro do his “color commentator” smartest guy in the room routine. 😆

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sounds like Will Forte doing a MacGruber skit on tearing apart the Rivian battery pack. 🤣

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Note that Sandy's first recommendation was bigger working surfaces on the gear faces and or a bigger drive shaft. I think he's see the twisting forces distorting the stacker frame and the planks skewed as they drive onto the gears.
I think they've observed wear on the rack gear surfaces and suspect it's torque misalignment, so a motor on both ends (I'm astonished it doesn't have a motor on both ends of the tracks) would help.
Of course synchronizing two electric motors is a non-trivial task but Rivian is at its core, an electric motor company … synchronizing a regulator is trivial to these teams.
The leaf springs are primitive and a cost-saving simplicity that's just too simple. No wonder the stacking noise is uncontrolled. I'm not purporting to be an industrial design engineer. From my experience, what I see is hydraulics for carriers … linear force and adjustable or even self-adjusting. This makes it possible to manufacture, assemble and maintain the whole assembly without these "recall" level events where the OEM has to literally invent a field service solution (effectively negating profits … ouch …)

The thing I see is no cleaning mechanism, not even service access. There really needs to be sweepers and feeders to clean foreign object ingestion. I don't see water seals (no wonder it leaks) and that means when it fills up with snow, when the snow melts, it will be full of grit. A few months of winter weather, parked in the snow, freeze-thaw dumping all the grit from gallons of melting snow … who at the tonneau stacker OEM (a German company operating in the USA called BOS) seriously thought this design would be durable?

As a rule, if a mechanism creates noise, it is causing wear. The astonishing amount of noise and lumbering and grinding in the stacker loudly declares it will not be durable. Hopefully when Rivian puts a few of their bright people on this problem, they'll be offering a retrofit that addresses all these design flaws and then some. I'd like to see them deliver on silent and fast mechanism that is almost unbreakable and could be used as a recovery winch.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I can’t wait to hear what the new design and engineering solution will be in 2023.

Rivian most likely knew they had an issue with the tonneau cover but decided to get the truck in the publics hand ASAP and deal with a solution later instead of delaying the truck.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Once I find a cap I won’t have to worry about it. Mine works and any leaking seems to end up below the floor of the bed. I have a pile of tools including some cotton tarps in the bed all the time and haven’t noticed anything getting wet In spite of days of soaking by what was left of Ian.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I see the tl;dr that it does indeed have 7777. But I know RJ was touting that the door flashlight battery was the same cell, which is what made it the full all-sevens. Yet I've opened my flashlight, and it *definitely* doesn't have the same cell as the main pack. So.... Does the main pack have 7777?

Because if not, then it has more than 7777, since the camp speaker has a few cells, (that presumably aren't even meant to be the same cell as the main pack) too.
Sponsored