Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Title speaks for itself
Sponsored

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

TL;DW: He clearly likes it. Has a few minor quibbles. And his tonneau cover broke.

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

I think I know what broke his tonneau (2:00). I cringed when I watched it.
He actually said it was broken before the dirt went in the bed. I think it got hung up on the boxes that were crammed up under it and it's just that fragile. My tonneau cover still works after 3 days but it's definitely on the clunky side and I'm not going out of my way to play with it.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I've only got 300 miles so far but agree 100% with his observations.

A simple improvement that Rivian could do in a flash (literally) is replicate the info found in the upper rightmost corner (banner) on the center display and put it in the same upper right corner on the driver's display. It's crazy that you can only see the time, for example, by glancing far to the right and squinting at about 1/8" size numbers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think I know what broke his tonneau (2:00). I cringed when I watched it.
probably is just a piece of bark stuck in the track or something

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I definitely agree with him on lack of Info. GM and Ford are doing much better in letting you know what the car is doing.

Can someone explain if the air is not leaking why suspention need to adjust itself at the light? And can the auto adjust be turned off?

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I definitely agree with him on lack of Info. GM and Ford are doing much better in letting you know what the car is doing.

Can someone explain if the air is not leaking why suspention need to adjust itself at the light? And can the auto adjust be turned off?
Someone mentioned before once you go above a given speed, the vehicle adjusts slightly for better aero, then when it goes below the speed it readjusts to the original height. So sitting at a stoplight likely hits its given time limit before trying to readjust out of that slippery profile. Could also be a software auto level issue that just needs to be fine tuned.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
He actually said it was broken before the dirt went in the bed. I think it got hung up on the boxes that were crammed up under it and it's just that fragile. My tonneau cover still works after 3 days but it's definitely on the clunky side and I'm not going out of my way to play with it.
I'd believe it. Mine jammed when I closed it over a bed full of firewood. I'd put a tarp down and was very careful to make sure the firewood was below the track, but the slight pressure of pushing the bunched up tarp aside seemed to be enough to knock the tracks off angle and jam it.

Rivian replaced it in a couple hours and I'm hopeful for a redesign. In the meantime, my takeway is to ensure it never operates with any load/pressure from any angle - top, bottom, or leading edge.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Rivian replaced it in a couple hours and I'm hopeful for a redesign. In the meantime, my takeway is to ensure it never operates with any load/pressure from any angle - top, bottom, or leading edge.
Do you feel like these issues have to do with how the cover is designed more fundamentally, or are they exclusively power tonneau related? I feel like a lot of folks are banking on the manual option as a way to stay clear of issues but it might not be a fix-all from what you've described.

Also kind of funny how this is the R1T's Achilles' heel despite all the new sh*t they've designed and delivered successfully on so far.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Someone mentioned before once you go above a given speed, the vehicle adjusts slightly for better aero, then when it goes below the speed it readjusts to the original height. So sitting at a stoplight likely hits its given time limit before trying to readjust out of that slippery profile. Could also be a software auto level issue that just needs to be fine tuned.
It must be the old geezer in me but any kind of movement I didn't ask for would freak me out. I hope they let me turn the auto function off.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Do you feel like these issues have to do with how the cover is designed more fundamentally, or are they exclusively power tonneau related? I feel like a lot of folks are banking on the manual option as a way to stay clear of issues but it might not be a fix-all from what you've described.

Also kind of funny how this is the R1T's Achilles' heel despite all the new sh*t they've designed and delivered successfully on so far.
Agreed that it's a bit darkly humorous 😊

I think it's probably unique to the power tonneau - it seems to be an issue with the combination of the stacking mechanism and the need for the panels to be perfectly perpendicular to the track as they enter it. My guess is the issue of debris entering the mechanism is actually a lot of panic about nothing, and it's really more about the tolerances and motor sync in keeping things aligned and stacked. But I haven't seen the mechanism and am not an engineer, so salt that opinion heavily.

In any case, the manual tonneau seems to just be three panels that you push into the track. I'd be super surprised if there's any issue there which couldn't be solved with a quick brush or blow of the air compressor from time to time. They don't stack and are much bigger panels, so alignment should be less of an issue.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
A powered hard tonneau cover is a cool factory option. I am confident the engineering team is looking into the complaints and trying to identify the root cause of the problems.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It must be the old geezer in me but any kind of movement I didn't ask for would freak me out. I hope they let me turn the auto function off.
I’ll have to see how it behaves.

My Jeep lowers at speed to ECO mode so when I stop at a light it will raise back up. Not sure if this is the behavior they are seeing or if it is an over-sensitive auto-leveling feature.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don’t know how Rivians compare to what I’m used to with air suspension so I don’t know how frequent or pronounced this is. Here’s one explanation which may help: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/air-suspension-auto-adjust-quirks.5540/

If Rivian let people turn it off then they risk complaints because the vehicle isn’t parallel to the road surface or the ride quality is poor.

edit: clarity
Sponsored