Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
https://www.jeep.com/the-road-ahead.html

Rivian R1T R1S Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March 1612826637716

Rivian is still ahead of the legacy OEMs in delivering a vehicle to market IMO, but I'm starting to wonder how big of a window they actually have with the F-150 BEV, Hummer, Cybertruck, and potentially a Jeep (with its own adventure charging network) in the works.

Rivian better crush it with the R1T and R1S, and they need to be more proactive getting their brand out in the market.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
[/QUOTE]Rivian better crush it with the R1T and R1S, and they need to be more proactive getting their brand out in the market.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Many of us have said Rivian needs better, more frequent communications and brand awareness activities.

I am not really worried about a Wrangler BEV. Hard-core Wrangler buyers are different cats. They want to tweak, customize, accessorize, and "build" their own Jeep. They want onboard air, a custom winch package, body sliders and underpanels.

I do worry about the Cherokee and Wranger-wanna be buyers. They want the Jeep cool and solid off-road capabilities but are not hard-core. A Grand Cherokee BEV with solid off road but with more refined road sense would be a bigger threat to Rivian an adventure vehicle.

You are right - the addressible market for electric adventure vehicles with off road capabilities like trucks and SUVs is starting to look pretty crowded.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Jeep is also a single electric motor with traditional differential. Some of those on here that have rock crawling as a priority have expressed the desire for this setup.
But note that this is just a tease of a concept that will be revealed in a few months. For those looking for a reason not to go with Rivian, there will be an endless stream of concepts for upcoming vehicles. Some will make it to production (Hummer EV, Cybertruck, etc) others will not (Badger & ??).

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
The Wrangler 4xe system is paired with a 2.0L I4 DOHC direct-injection Turbo PHEV engine to bring out the best in already proven Jeep® Brand 4x4 capability. A 16-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, regenerative brake booster and eight-speed automatic transmission work together to send impressive amounts of power and torque to each wheel
25 miles on battery power alone.

400 miles using the range extender to burn gas.

Yah... Not worried.

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
50 miles on battery power alone.

400 miles using the range extender to burn gas.

Yah... Not worried.
That's the PHEV that has been known for a while. This is a new BEV.

Sponsored

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
As a current GC Trailhawk owner (previously had a Wrangler JK) who took it to an off-road park in Central TX this past weekend, I don’t think Rivian has much to worry about. I’m switching because I’m excited about the Rivian Brand and excited for someone other than Jeep (and Land Rover) to innovate in the off-road market and go full electric.

Jeep owners are a loyal bunch, but I think the Ford Bronco is the biggest threat to the cult. I think FCA, sorry Stellantis, wanted to beat Ford to market with their potential off-road BEV offering.

Now, if LRJ was dropping a Range Rover Sport BEV this year, I think Rivian would maybe start an internal email chain...

Pic from my cult meeting last weekend ;):
Rivian R1T R1S Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March 698E27E9-7DD3-43B8-A027-748A1BF037CE

Last edited:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
That's the PHEV that has been known for a while. This is a new BEV.
Since I was literally reading the details in the link posted by OP, I was confused by your reply.

As I scrolled down the page, you see "AMERICAN ADVENTURE ELECTRIFIED" and then a link to read more about the 4xe.

When most manufacturers talk about hybrids they literally use the word "hybrid", even if the vehicle can run exclusively on electric for short distances.

Since they used the language "electric" and avoided "hybrid", I thought it was them just being scummy about their inability to commit to all-electric.

---

So I scroll farther, and yes - Mentions of the BEV concept with zero details.

Still not worried, but slightly more intrigued.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My daily driver is a 2015 Grand Cherokee 4x4, which the R1S will replace, and I own 2 Wranglers as well (TJR & JKUR). I'm a Jeep guy & a RiviaNut.

I will fulfill my role as a broken record & say that hope that multiple players come to market with a true off roader in the vein of EV Wrangler/Bronco. I will reserve judgment until I can evaluate them on their actual technical & engineering merits. A Wrangler with a single motor & traditional TC/diffs/axles isn't going to cut it...I think Rivian is on the right track with 4 independent motors.

I'd love to see a vehicle that can run 37s, accommodate armor/winches/accessory gear, & removable top/doors. Shorter range, 500hp, & 80 mph top speed should be fine.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As a current GC Trailhawk owner (previously had a Wrangler JK) who took it to an off-road park in Central TX this past weekend, I don’t think Rivian has much to worry about. I’m switching because I’m excited about the Rivian Brand and excited for someone other than Jeep (and Land Rover) to innovate in the off-road market and go full electric.

Jeep owners are a loyal bunch, but I think the Ford Bronco is the biggest threat to the cult. I think FCA, sorry Stellantis, wanted to beat Ford to market with their potential off-road BEV offering.

Now, if LRJ was dropping a Range Rover Sport BEV this year, I think Rivian would maybe start an internal email chain...

Pic from my cult meeting last weekend ;):
698E27E9-7DD3-43B8-A027-748A1BF037CE.jpeg
Hidden Falls is a cool place. Bronco is scheduled to have one of their Off Rodeo events there.

We'll have to go test & show off our Rivians out there.

Couple pics from there that I have on my phone:

Rivian R1T R1S Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March FB_IMG_1548825003642

Rivian R1T R1S Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March Jeep2

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My daily driver is a 2015 Grand Cherokee 4x4, which the R1S will replace, and I own 2 Wranglers as well (TJR & JKUR). I'm a Jeep guy & a RiviaNut.

I will fulfill my role as a broken record & say that hope that multiple players come to market with a true off roader in the vein of EV Wrangler/Bronco. I will reserve judgment until I can evaluate them on their actual technical & engineering merits. A Wrangler with a single motor & traditional TC/diffs/axles isn't going to cut it...I think Rivian is on the right track with 4 independent motors.

I'd love to see a vehicle that can run 37s, accommodate armor/winches/accessory gear, & removable top/doors. Shorter range, 500hp, & 80 mph top speed should be fine.
Sounds a lot like Bollinger, but I have my doubts as to whether it ever gets to market. And even if it does, $125k for something to beat off the rocks is a bit hard to swallow!

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think the Ford Bronco is the biggest threat to the cult.
Agreed. I was surprised when Ford unveiled the new Bronco and Bronco Sport and they didn't have a BEV or at least a PHEV or HEV option. That feels like a massive oversight and tactical mistake, imo.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
My DD is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Jk with a 4” lift, 37’s and many mods. I originally planned for it to be an off-road vehicle, but I learned that if I break something on Sunday, I can’t get to work on Monday. Now it’s more of a get me to the trail, take me to the campsite Jeep.

It has well over 200,000 miles on it, leaks oil, blown shocks, shattered bump stops, and is currently in the shop getting a new fuel injector, water pump, and breaks.

I always said I would only trade it in for an Electric Jeep. Then Rivian came along. I am looking forward to a change.

I am interested in seeing an Electric Wrangler, but I doubt you will be able to beef up the suspension or out heavy tires on it without killing the range.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Those solar canopy charging stations are nice for the shade. The energy they collect is a minuscule fraction of what's needed to charge vehicles under them, though. Tesla has done this in a number of locations, and with batteries it can help with peak shaving, but it's more a marketing gimmick (and, truly, very welcome shade) than an actual offset.

Granted, "solar powered charging" can mean offsets with solar farms elsewhere, but the implication is that the canopy is what's charging the car.
Sponsored