Jeep Wrangler BEV concept coming in March

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I would assume in-house tech. They previously said they'd use the Rivian skateboard under the F-150 BEV but have since walked that statement back.
They've always said the F-150 would be on their own platform, and they were in fact developing it before their investment in Rivian.
They originally were planning on using the skateboard for a Lincoln SUV, but that project has either been scrapped or put on hold.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
F150 ship has sailed, but I think the 4 independent motor & adjustable ride height platform would be better for a Bronco EV.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I want to see a drive review of the 4xe. I do like the rubber insert for the charge plug...better than just a cover for an off road vehicle where the hood might get submerged.

I'm disappointed with Jeep's Magneto concept though. Total weak sauce. Just replacing a gas motor with an electric one...not even with a high HP one that could have made it moderately cool.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I want to see a drive review of the 4xe. I do like the rubber insert for the charge plug...better than just a cover for an off road vehicle where the hood might get submerged.

I'm disappointed with Jeep's Magneto concept though. Total weak sauce. Just replacing a gas motor with an electric one...not even with a high HP one that could have made it moderately cool.
They drove the Magneto. It must be really heavy at the front. Also, can't believe they kept the manual...

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
They drove the Magneto. It must be really heavy at the front. Also, can't believe they kept the manual...
One of the first things I read when people got their first look at it was talking about how great it was that they were able to keep the manual transmission. This concept is obviously not marketed at me, because I don't get it.

I did catch something about Jeep discussing plans to install chargers at trailheads, with places like Moab on the list. No complaints about that.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Video struck me as some Jeep *ss kissing, I look forward to see what they say about Rivian.

This concept is obviously not marketed at me, because I don't get it.
Me either. It's a concept, which I like to see more boundaries pushed...not just replace an ICE motor & gas tank with a single electric motor & batteries.

I did catch something about Jeep discussing plans to install chargers at trailheads, with places like Moab on the list. No complaints about that.
Yeah, L2 chargers though, probably 15-20 miles of range per hour. I think it's more marketing than anything.

And I say all of this as a hardcore Jeep guy...

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
One of the first things I read when people got their first look at it was talking about how great it was that they were able to keep the manual transmission. This concept is obviously not marketed at me, because I don't get it.

If others had paddle shifters to control regen braking, let them have their manual transmission for acceleration control. I think Ford tried having it on a concept Mustang, but nothing happened to it

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do kind of get the manual transmission though, because an electric motor doesn't need the range of an automatic due to much higher RPM range. In the video, they even said to just leave it in 2nd or 3rd around town & it basically works like an automatic.

At most, a manual would need 3 gears. Crawl, city, & highway/overdrive. But I know they don't have a custom transmission sitting on a shelf...would have been a cool touch & impressed me more though.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I do kind of get the manual transmission though, because an electric motor doesn't need the range of an automatic due to much higher RPM range. In the video, they even said to just leave it in 2nd or 3rd around town & it basically works like an automatic.

At most, a manual would need 3 gears. Crawl, city, & highway/overdrive. But I know they don't have a custom transmission sitting on a shelf...would have been a cool touch & impressed me more though.
Seems to me that they also could have accomplished that with a traditional high / low transfer case. It wouldn't be three speed, but it would be more likely to be available, and would satisfy the crawling range vs a street range.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I think Jeep is also worried about being "accepted" by their typical customer. They're not the most progressive group, imo; lots of old-school mentalities that must be coddled.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Sounds a lot like Bollinger, but I have my doubts as to whether it ever gets to market. And even if it does, $125k for something to beat off the rocks is a bit hard to swallow!
Greg,

To be clear, we haven't gravitated back to the Hummer discussion, right? ;)

I'm with you on the Bollinger. Really looking forward to seeing them and checking them out, but greatly doubt the sanity of anyone in a Bollinger climbing rocks like we see in Skyote's pics from Hidden Falls.
Sponsored