First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I think this is a great idea, actually. I get tree crap in my roof bar mounts all the time, which inevitably deteriorates and turns into muck when wet. It would be nice to not have that in there. So - definitely a real problem worth investigating.

Second, it would be fun to see just how much more aero you can squeeze out of the R1T - functionality be damned. (Admittedly, I’d need to start with removing the Yakima Megawarrior off the bed. Ha.)
In that vein…. @EV Sportline How about snap on properly shaped aero caps for the tow hooks on the front face (bumper)?! ☺🎉
Just for long haul use cases!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
In that vein…. @EV Sportline How about snap on properly shaped aero caps for the tow hooks on the front face (bumper)?! ☺🎉
Just for long haul use cases!
@EV Sportline Maybe sell all of these aero mods separately, and as a large aero pack kit (including the 20” wheel aero covers)… 🤷‍♂️

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Hello again, fellow Rivarians! So, while I was working on the @EV Sportline running board project, I thought we could benefit from a site sponsor or two to “step up” make either rubber rack aero mounts inserts (Slides under and through the yellow accented rack mount bar, or a cheaper 3D printed cover. Personally, I would prefer the former as it would “plug” the cavity while leaving the silver / yellow mount showing!

Edit: I was thinking about playing around with some plumber’s putty to get a feel for the mold needed…. Don’t have a 3D scanner in my back pocket, just yet…

Thoughts? Anyone interested in producing these?

6EE5EB78-C267-4191-82C5-0771E5E82564.jpeg

@twraps @RWerksman @EV Sportline
Are those mounts causing and negligible aero hit? Or noise?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think this is a great idea, actually. I get tree crap in my roof bar mounts all the time, which inevitably deteriorates and turns into muck when wet. It would be nice to not have that in there. So - definitely a real problem worth investigating.
Here in wonderful Seattle, wet fir tree needle carcasses abound, causing all sorts of issues with rack-mount divots and other holes and crevices. On of the main reasons I needed a sealing solution for the running board bracket 4” holes in those plastic panels!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Are those mounts causing and negligible aero hit? Or noise?
No idea, but I will rarely use the one’s on the roof line, and as mentioned, they fill up with fir needles and all sorts of other tree crap.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
No idea, but I will rarely use the one’s on the roof line, and as mentioned, they fill up with fir needles and all sorts of other tree crap.
I could see some caps if they were priced right.

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
Great idea!

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Just curious, rough timeline from scan to prototype? No rush as not a critical item, just a luxury piece! 🤣
well, the scan was easy :) now it's a CAD project, and your buddy Eric is under the R1T working on Sliders right now :). So....once we get the CAD, we can print the 3d in 24hrs. But give me a minute to get the CAD rolling...

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
well, the scan was easy :) now it's a CAD project, and your buddy Eric is under the R1T working on Sliders right now :). So....once we get the CAD, we can print the 3d in 24hrs. But give me a minute to get the CAD rolling...
Again no rush; thanks for taking this on! :)

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
How about some removable, rubber, plugs for the "vents" behind the front wheels? I don't want to put mud flaps on the truck. But plugs would be helpful on gravel roads.

Edit: "Anti-Aero"

ByzRiv

First Name
Byz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 R1S, 2015 991GTS
Occupation
Healthcare
How about some removable, rubber, plugs for the "vents" behind the front wheels? I don't want to put mud flaps on the truck. But plugs would be helpful on gravel roads.

Edit: "Anti-Aero"
I had actually installed some RallyArmor mud flaps, which have the cutout for the slits, and thought about putting some window screen mesh material bonded to the mud flap...but got lazy and just slapped the mud flaps on. I think a mesh might be a good idea...

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINCs Aero rack mount ideas… 20230307_124033

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I had actually installed some RallyArmor mud flaps, which have the cutout for the slits, and thought about putting some window screen mesh material bonded to the mud flap...but got lazy and just slapped the mud flaps on. I think a mesh might be a good idea...

20230307_124033.jpg
Looking good!

I had mudflaps on my Tacoma, but would prefer not to on the Rivian. At the same time, I'd like prevent the rock splash and wear in this particularly hard to maintain area.

Mudflaps would certainly provide better protection in every way, but for occasional driving on rock roads, especially at speeds over 15-20 miles an hour, a removable and pliable rubber plug, inserted from the wheel well side, would at least protect the side of the front fender and door.

Probably a crazy idea......

ByzRiv

First Name
Byz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 R1S, 2015 991GTS
Occupation
Healthcare
thanks...I think that little cutout in the back of the front wheel doesn't appear to serve any purpose, other than looking cool. It can't be for any brake cooling purpose, and really just serves as a funnel for rocks and dirt to come up and pepper that part of the car panel. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno...
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINCs Aero rack mount ideas… 20230307_124023

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Looking good!

I had mudflaps on my Tacoma, but would prefer not to on the Rivian. At the same time, I'd like prevent the rock splash and wear in this particularly hard to maintain area.

Mudflaps would certainly provide better protection in every way, but for occasional driving on rock roads, especially at speeds over 15-20 miles an hour, a removable and pliable rubber plug, inserted from the wheel well side, would at least protect the side of the front fender and door.

Probably a crazy idea......
Our mud flaps cover the aero hole… but it’s a hassle to casually mount/demount them… still, if you need to cover that hole this is one way to go:
https://twraps.com/products/mud-flaps-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
Sponsored