Sponsored

Do you feel this sealing approach is more viable and easier than other discussed methods?

• Total voters

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Sealing the added holes with the gorilla seal is a better option, IMHO. Keep in mind, Rivian ships them sealed from the factory. And, it’s quite wet in Seattle, and the Gorilla seal is still 100% still like the day I installed it.
I pressure washed the bottom the other day and noticed the Gorilla tape basically looks like it was just installed. Only four months but it looks like it's going to last.

Due to the gravel roads where I live, I get quite a bit of dust accumulation under where the mounts are, especially near the front tire. On my previous truck, the dust would fill the hollow molded mud flaps and it was a constant battle keeping the extra few pounds of gravel out of them. For my R1T, I think leaving the hole open would allow the dust to accumulate which basically turns into concrete when wet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I pressure washed the bottom the other day and noticed the Gorilla tape basically looks like it was just installed. Only four months but it looks like it's going to last.

Due to the gravel roads where I live, I get quite a bit of dust accumulation under where the mounts are, especially near the front tire. On my previous truck, the dust would fill the hollow molded mud flaps and it was a constant battle keeping the extra few pounds of gravel out of them. For my R1T, I think leaving the hole open would allow the dust to accumulate which basically turns into concrete when wet.
Same experience and expectation! The Gorilla seal is a great DIY’er for the average person! Easy-peasy!

2020rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Maserati
Occupation
Consultant
Checking back in on this… I am getting ready to install my rails now. How has the tape held up?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Checking back in on this… I am getting ready to install my rails now. How has the tape held up?
100% perfect, months later!

Last edited:

browntye

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Consultant
OP