First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I can’t recall the last time I had a human in the rear seat of any of my EVs, so I removed the headrests and installed some rubber mat to his the ugliness beneath. Great rear view from driver’s seat now!

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s improved rear window visibility mod… C816EF58-BDBD-437B-8267-9D9DA4FCA9F9

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s improved rear window visibility mod… 2B22D0ED-A6AA-4605-BE41-2FF837DA01F6

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s improved rear window visibility mod… 9FBBCE63-1018-44FC-A56A-50AE29136C82
Sponsored

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Did the same with my (pre-backup camera era) Honda CRV back in the day.. made a huge difference in visibility!
BMW has a nice setup on the i3... the rear headrests can be swiveled down when not being used so you get a great view out the back hatch window. Rivian could do the same with a little effort.

Will they fit in the under-seat storage compartments?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Did the same with my (pre-backup camera era) Honda CRV back in the day.. made a huge difference in visibility!
BMW has a nice setup on the i3... the rear headrests can be swiveled down when not being used so you get a great view out the back hatch window. Rivian could do the same with a little effort.

Will they fit in the under-seat storage compartments?
Yes, with ease and a ton of room to spare!

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s improved rear window visibility mod… 8B1F3ED9-507D-44E5-BCA3-D243C43B0B7B

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I've considered removing them and storing them under the seat or in the gear tunnel as well, since I rarely have rear seat passengers. The one feature I am legitimately upset my R1T doesn't have that past vehicles did (My LRs) - digital rear view mirror. I firmly believe every current vehicle should have them, they're a huge improvement no matter how good the vehicle's visibility is.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
May design and print flush inserts to make the look “stock”. For now, the rubber mats will suffice.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I can’t recall the last time I had a human in the rear seat of any of my EVs, so I removed the headrests and installed some rubber mat to his the ugliness beneath. Great rear view from driver’s seat now!

C816EF58-BDBD-437B-8267-9D9DA4FCA9F9.jpeg

2B22D0ED-A6AA-4605-BE41-2FF837DA01F6.jpeg

9FBBCE63-1018-44FC-A56A-50AE29136C82.jpeg
If Rivian used the headrest folding mechanism from the R1S in the second row of the R1T it would make things easier and pretty much guarantee that if you do need to put someone in the back seat they’ll have a headrest available to protect them in the event of a rear end crash. Maybe Rivian will include that as an upgrade to help take the sting out of future price increases…

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I've considered removing them and storing them under the seat or in the gear tunnel as well, since I rarely have rear seat passengers. The one feature I am legitimately upset my R1T doesn't have that past vehicles did (My LRs) - digital rear view mirror. I firmly believe every current vehicle should have them, they're a huge improvement no matter how good the vehicle's visibility is.
I haven’t had a vehicle with a digital rear view mirror but I imagine that the rear view mirror aiming is almost irrelevant since the view is dictated by the camera and not the direction of a reflective mirror. I know that our US regulations aren’t friendly to camera-based side-view mirrors, and I think the regulations mean that digital rear view mirrors have to function as traditional mirrors when the display is off. If we could allow these systems to replace the reflective mirrors entirely then manufacturers could improve fuel efficiency (less wind resistance compared to side view reflective mirrors) and reduce mechanical complexity (no more side-view motorized mirror aiming, memory requirement, and power folding) while not relying on drivers to aim their mirrors properly to avoid blind spots.

edit: clarity

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea, when it's using the camera you can turn the mirror anywhere you want and it's no big deal. i used to turn it facing all the way towards me so i had a good straight-on view to it.

It did still work as a regular mirror, you just flipped the toggle like you would for other mirror's day/night mode. Always required a re-adjustment but I only really ever used that when i was driving and the rear camera got obstructed by moisture or leaves or some other crap.

But yea, I would love to see the side-view mirrors get canned in favor of some sort of in-cabin display plus automated detection/warning systems. Definitely would improve efficiency, and I think cars would look so much cooler without the ears sticking off the doors lol

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The one feature I am legitimately upset my R1T doesn't have that past vehicles did (My LRs) - digital rear view mirror. I firmly believe every current vehicle should have them, they're a huge improvement no matter how good the vehicle's visibility is.
Completely agree!
I loved the very wide angle electronic rear view mirror in my Bolt. So much so that I now have an aftermarket version installed in my i3. Once you get used to the enhanced view (no headrests/cargo/passenger heads/C-pillar, etc.. obstructing the view) you get w/the electronic mirrors you'll hardly ever want to use the reflective mirrors again. The wide angle electronic rear view mirror in the Bolt covered so much that it almost rendered the side view mirrors unnecessary... almost.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been thinking about trying something aftermarket on my T. It really is a world of difference. Might wait a while and see what the market brings out as options.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I haven’t had a vehicle with a digital rear view mirror but I imagine that the rear view mirror aiming is almost irrelevant since the view is dictated by the camera and not the direction of a reflective mirror. I know that our US regulations aren’t friendly to camera-based side-view mirrors, and I think the regulations mean that digital rear view mirrors have to function as traditional mirrors when the display is off. If we could allow these systems to replace the reflective mirrors entirely then manufacturers could improve fuel efficiency (less wind resistance compared to side view reflective mirrors) and reduce mechanical complexity (no more side-view motorized mirror aiming, memory requirement, and power folding) while not relying on drivers to aim their mirrors properly to avoid blind spots.

edit: clarity
Multiple manufacturers (including GM) have had camera/screen rearview mirrors as at least an option for years. Nearly all are regular rear view mirrors that you press a button or flip a lever and it turns on a display behind the mirror glass that shines through it (one-way mirror style) to replace the reflected image as the "primary" view.

I think the Rivian would have a great option, too - one GearGuard camera is at the top of the rear window - nearly perfectly in line with where you would be seeing out the physical-mirror view; so switching to camera wouldn't have much visible difference in "field of view", it would just erase any in-cab obstructions.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I'm going to have to disagree on the digital rearview. I think it is a good option to have in the case that your bed is full enough to obstruct rearward visibility, but otherwise it is in my opinion a poor substitute for an actual rear view mirror. The first major problem is it requires your eyes to quickly refocus to near viewing and even forcing myself to use one for a few weeks I could never get it to be automatic. Second it inhibits depth perception of the vehicles behind you. Third, and maybe the LR's are higher resolution or quality, but on my TRX it wasn't nearly as clear as an actual mirror in daylight, and it was borderline worthless in the dark. As a way to explain, even in optimal conditions I could only see the face of a driver of a vehicle if it was directly behind me. I had never really considered it before, but comparatively with my mirror I could clearly see the faces of drivers of cars 10s of car lengths back. To truly replace a mirror we will need both high pixel density cameras and displays, each able to handle low light exceptionally well.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
My 2013 XC-90 had a button near the driver that dropped the rear headrests to improve the view out of ear window. The Volvo needed it as the headrests, in typical Volvo fashion, were oversize and pretty robustly built.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek

C816EF58-BDBD-437B-8267-9D9DA4FCA9F9.jpeg

2B22D0ED-A6AA-4605-BE41-2FF837DA01F6.jpeg

9FBBCE63-1018-44FC-A56A-50AE29136C82.jpeg
The fact they don't fold is a huge miss by Rivian. My JGC costs less than 1/2 and they fold.

Having them folded down offers the same benefit for visibility without losing them or having them bounce around.
Sponsored