Jebinc’s Charging pad mod

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Besides the phone sliding all around when driving, I noticed (even when not moving) that the charging coils focal length is too shallow; meaning it can’t reach the phone due to the slight angle caused by the camera bump. Even if I take off the super thin Apple MagSafe case, it rarely connects and shows “charging”.

Clearly a design defect with the pad Rivian is using. I assume I’m not alone with this issue.

As anyone reported this or opened a service ticket. What does Rivian say or suggest?
Here is a charging pad I make. It works with the Apple MagSafe charger. It simply clips into place. It works great with my iPhone 14 pro.
Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s Charging pad mod E8831621-0EC4-4726-9CFB-758BBA2051C2

Sponsored

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
So, I found a quick solution…

I dug out an old Testap charging pad I had in my 2019 Tesla Model 3 and it fits perfectly above the Rivian pad. Took 10s to install, literally. It also connects flawlessly and stays in place. The benefit here is MagSafe cases/iPhones and non MagSafe phones can charge using this pad. Woo-hoo!

B89C080D-BED3-4EB5-A373-1FE9822BA3D0.jpeg

E7C83F02-1F05-4A9E-ACC1-61F1321BC3B1.png
I am shopping for one of these on amazon and there are several different models with different cords. Which cords does yours have? Did you need an adaptor for the USB c in the Rivian's console? I am trying to avoid buying the wrong one! Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I am shopping for one of these on amazon and there are several different models with different cords. Which cords does yours have? Did you need an adaptor for the USB c in the Rivian's console? I am trying to avoid buying the wrong one! Thanks for the tip!
Mine is very old first gen and has USB-A. A simple USB-A to C adapter or jumper cable is all that was needed for me. I had all the parts needed in my junk drawer! 🤣🔥

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Mine is very old first gen and has USB-A. A simple USB-A to C adapter or jumper cable is all that was needed for me. I had all the parts needed in my junk drawer! 🤣🔥

I believe I have the first gen of this model from Taptes

TAPTES Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020, Dual Phone Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3 Accessories, Car Center Console Interior, Compatible with iPhone & Samsung Smartphones, Black https://a.co/d/4Mlb3GV

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

You’re better off using a genuine Apple MagSafe puck and attaching it with a small piece of carpet tape. It won’t go anywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You’re better off using a genuine Apple MagSafe puck and attaching it with a small piece of carpet tape. It won’t go anywhere.
Not if you have passengers with non MagSafe or Android phones. That pad offer flexibility and phone stability. Also, easy on and
Off. No putty or tape or other to hold a “puck” in place, either.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
I believe I have the first gen of this model from Taptes

TAPTES Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020, Dual Phone Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3 Accessories, Car Center Console Interior, Compatible with iPhone & Samsung Smartphones, Black https://a.co/d/4Mlb3GV
THANK YOU!
Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s Charging pad mod Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 10.27.01 PM

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Not if you have passengers with non MagSafe or Android phones. That pad offer flexibility and phone stability. Also, easy on and
Off. No putty or tape or other to hold a “puck” in place, either.
Understood on the tape part, but MagSafe works on all Qi-enabled phones.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Understood on the tape part, but MagSafe works on all Qi-enabled phones.

Yes, but the pucks are so thick, and a non MagSafe phone wouldn’t stay put as it would on a nice mat pad with ridge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Yes, but the pucks are so think and a non MagSafe phone wouldn’t stay pul, as it would on a nice mat pad with ridge.
Objectively, phones will still slide around, except they'll be contained by the center console ridge, around the charging mat area.

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
DAMMIT! I left my Nomad wireless charger in the model 3 I sold because I figured I'd have no use for it.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Objectively, phones will still slide around, except they'll be contained by the center console ridge, around the charging mat area.
Not on the pad I’m using, they won’t.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Not on the pad I’m using, they won’t.
If it's rubberized, sure, probably not. Regardless, it's still a Qi wireless charger which is low-quality charging output, another reason why I recommended MagSafe, or something else that's high quality, that outputs a full 15W

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If it's rubberized, sure, probably not. Regardless, it's still a Qi wireless charger which is low-quality charging output, another reason why I recommended MagSafe, or something else that's high quality, that outputs a full 15W
It is rubberized and yes it is 15w. Exactly want I want for longer road trips. Don’t want to be running at 100% SoC. If I need a faster charge, I have a USB-C to Lightning cable in the console.
Sponsored