First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been too busy modding a cottage and haven’t installed mine. Thanks for the head’s up! I would suggest reaching out to them as they may have received a bad lot, etc. I will test mine in the morning and will report. I can say for certain, the prototype works well. I modified it a bit more since the original OP to make the design even better.
@CommodoreAmiga I test fit one just now, and have the same situation you reported. No comments on my pajama pants, please - it’s early here and your post was on my mind.

I reached out to @EV Sportline on the matter. I’m fairly certain there is a bad lot of parts from the manufacturer getting out, and that @EV Sportline will quickly rectify whatever the issue is - while taking care of us early pioneers who recieved less than ideal parts. I also asked them to comment in this thread, re the issue and next steps.

Again, my prototype works wonderfully and is flush and tidy. My experience tells me @EV Sportline will certainly sort and make things right. We must all remember, they took this project on per our request as making custom prototypes, as I did, is not viable for the masses. Hopefully we will hear more in the next day or so.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7697

My prototype
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7698
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
@CommodoreAmiga I test fit one just now, and have the same situation you reported. No comments on my pajama pants, please - it’s early here and your post was on my mind.

I reached out to @EV Sportline on the matter. I’m fairly certain there is a bad lot of parts from the manufacturer getting out, and that @EV Sportline will quickly rectify whatever the issue is - while taking care of us early pioneers who recieved less than ideal parts. I also asked them to comment in this thread, re the issue and next steps.

Again, my prototype works wonderfully and is flush and tidy. My experience tells me @EV Sportline will certainly sort and make things right. We must all remember, they took this project on per our request as making custom prototypes, as I did, is not viable for the masses. Hopefully we will hear more in the next day or so.

IMG_7697.jpeg

My prototype
IMG_7698.jpeg
Santa, did you get my letters? I never got that Lego Millennium Falcon I asked for when I was 7.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! 1686231000136

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Thanks. Both for confirmation of the issue and taking point on reaching out to EV Sportline.

I did try rotating the pucks so the long-slot is almost vertical and that let me tighten things to be less askew (still not perfect). With the included ring accessories it technically works since they can rotate freely. But it is not how L-track should normally be oriented, may impact the ability to use other attachments/accessories, and honestly it just doesn't look right, to me.

I'm going to hold off on installing the rest until we hear more about what can be done.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Hey guys, sorry been on vacation - back in action now.

Couple things:

The Rivian bed liner has A LOT of variability / tolerance. We've tested several Rivians over time for our tonneau covers and this product. For example, see how askew the factory well nut is vs the bed liner here...this is very common and varies between each Rivian anchor location:
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.33.13 AM

Secondarily, the depth of the well nut behind the bed liner varies significantly. For example, compare the depth of the well nut vs liner below, vs the photo above:

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.35.02 AM

We designed the product to center itself on the bedliner port outer diameter, so our fitting is always concentric with the port diameter, regardless of Rivian well nut and bedliner variations and tolerance, and still allow for proper bolting-on. The following dashed line shows how we center the fitting:

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.45.50 AM

This design ensures the fitting can always be centered and doesn't bottom out on the well nut and / or never requires 'trimming' the bedliner to access the full well nut surface.

The product can we aligned with the bedliner during install and the bolt tightened once desired alignment is set. The factor 'washer' can be re-used if desired, and can help make alignment easier, but is not absolutely necessary.

PM me if you need any help!

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The product can we aligned with the bedliner during install and the bolt tightened once desired alignment is set. The factor 'washer' can be re-used if desired, and can help make alignment easier, but is not absolutely necessary.
Are you saying the intention is that these not be installed level with the horizon, but rather rotated to other angles to try to align the slot with the nut?

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Are you saying the intention is that these not be installed level with the horizon, but rather rotated to other angles to try to align the slot with the nut?
this is how they look installed

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 11.56.35 AM

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

My kit arrived today and I must say I'm not really happy with them. They do not sit flush. Is this consistent with what others are experiencing? If this is how it has to be then I'm inclined to scrap them and go with a more traditional rail that I can mount flat against the bed sides.
for clarification, are you saying you want the yellow edge to be flat with the bed liner (red edge). That was my understanding.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1511

Disappointed these are not sitting more flush. I went with the rails for the top mounts for flexibility and am loving that solution so far, but I was planning on grabbing a set of these to do the lower bolts as well as the front wall.
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1434

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
for clarification, are you saying you want the yellow edge to be flat with the bed liner (red edge). That was my understanding.

IMG_1511.jpeg

Disappointed these are not sitting more flush. I went with the rails for the top mounts for flexibility and am loving that solution so far, but I was planning on grabbing a set of these to do the lower bolts as well as the front wall.
I at least want the edge to be parallel to the bed sides.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, sorry been on vacation - back in action now.

Couple things:

The Rivian bed liner has A LOT of variability / tolerance. We've tested several Rivians over time for our tonneau covers and this product. For example, see how askew the factory well nut is vs the bed liner here...this is very common and varies between each Rivian anchor location:
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.33.13 AM.png

Secondarily, the depth of the well nut behind the bed liner varies significantly. For example, compare the depth of the well nut vs liner below, vs the photo above:

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.35.02 AM.png

We designed the product to center itself on the bedliner port outer diameter, so our fitting is always concentric with the port diameter, regardless of Rivian well nut and bedliner variations and tolerance, and still allow for proper bolting-on. The following dashed line shows how we center the fitting:

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.45.50 AM.png

This design ensures the fitting can always be centered and doesn't bottom out on the well nut and / or never requires 'trimming' the bedliner to access the full well nut surface.

PM me if you need any help!
cool details, thanks for sharing

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
To keep everyone updated:

I removed the pucks and installed the Rivian OE metal cup (3D washer?) behind them. This provides some support behind the puck and does improve alignment. They aren't perfect, but they are much closer to what I want and I can live with them this way.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Mine are supposed to be here tomorrow. Glad I read this first so that I will know the adjustments that can be made.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Dear single stud tie down pioneers - if you want @EV Sportline to respond to your questions, you must tag them in your post (or directly DM them). They can’t possibly monitor every thread on the forum. 😉

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg
Re the yellow line, you may be thinking about my “home-made” prototype, which is largely flush at the yellow line. The prototype was made this way to ensure the slide is just a hair above the face of the plastic panel. I reduced the OD of “two hole off the shelf” fitting (you can see the black edge has been turned down). I did some other mods as well, to ensure it secured properly. I could have “sharpied” the exposed edge, but didn’t bother as these were temporary while EV Sportline did their thing.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! 70793245044__2E2FFE30-0B15-4262-A634-8CD26AFA7AD3
Sponsored

Last edited: