Sponsored

JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!”

So, what do you think? “Nope” or “Dope”?

• Total voters

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You could always grab a bottle of mustard and use that to get a quick idea of what'll look like in person :cool:

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
You could always grab a bottle of mustard and use that to get a quick idea of what'll look like in person :cool:
Does a Hotdog 🌭 come with that? 🤣

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I won’t make this mod until someone tells me the range hit. :rolleyes:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Question for those voting, “Nope” instead of “Dope” -

While most of the post are about looks/color, are you not at all concerned with reason 2a/2b and 3 of 3? If not, why?

“2) Personal preference, but I prefer there not being a raised sharp tread plate edge for the following reasons (YOMV, of course) {Where; “O” = Opinion}
a) Smaller children injuring themselves (cuts/bruising when crawling up onto the boards and into the truck) - Yeah, I have a scar on my knee from a similar
young childhood mishap…
b) Powder coat paint scraping off that raised sharp edge with use (especially with dirty/sandy sneakers/boots or other footwear) over time – rust forming, etc.

3) Tread Plate cushioning – Again, personal preference, but I prefer a no “metal-on-metal” contact, when it comes to mechanically fastened plates (vs. welded). This will reduce the likelihood of paint wear-through over time, noise, etc... Also, with summer heat / winter cold, the plates and tubing will expand and contract at different rates - and in different directions. And no, I do not have any concerns with this bead welting/gasket trapping water or grime, any more than the “as designed and delivered” product. Again, YOMV.”

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

@kizamybute' Thoughts on this? See OP for reasons, and it’s not just for looks!
For me, the only reason I could see would be for someone's personal preference of adding some color to it. Not my cup of tea, but can see where might like that option.

I'm certainly not concerned with injuries as a result of the very low lip. Not big enough to stub a toe on. It's there for feet to step on.

I'm sure there's something I'm not seeing, but in my mind, not sure how a kid would be suseptable to injury climbing in.

I'm more worried about the dang gear tunnel door which has already gotten my shins a few times! LOL

And metal on metal? That's more than half the truck (or any car/truck). They're bolted down, so don't see any issue in that department either. As I've previously stated, may consider tack welding the plates on to remove the bolts. The plates are thicker that I thought they would be, so pretty confident that they could be tack welded without deforming the plate.

Just my two-cents

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
For me, the only reason I could see would be for someone's personal preference of adding some color to it. Not my cup of tea, but can see where might like that option.

I'm certainly not concerned with injuries as a result of the very low lip. Not big enough to stub a toe on. It's there for feet to step on.

I'm sure there's something I'm not seeing, but in my mind, not sure how a kid would be suseptable to injury climbing in.

I'm more worried about the dang gear tunnel door which has already gotten my shins a few times! LOL

And metal on metal? That's more than half the truck (or any car/truck). They're bolted down, so don't see any issue in that department either. As I've previously stated, may consider tack welding the plates on to remove the bolts. The plates are thicker that I thought they would be, so pretty confident that they could be tack welded without deforming the plate.

Just my two-cents
Thanks. As I said in my OP, "YOMV! ☺

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Figure 20-30 minutes to do both sides. I only loosened the outer tread plate bolts on my installed set. No need to remove the plate or touch that inner bolts.

IMG_6694.jpeg

IMG_6695.jpeg
This is a great idea!

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So, who’s going to do it, if and when you receive running boards?! 🤣
Yes, I'm getting the 3" rubber garage seal and cut it in half. Don't know when I'm getting my RBs, probably some time in April.

Edit - for powder coated edge protection mainly.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I'm getting the 3" rubber garage seal and cut it in half. Don't know when I'm getting my RBs, probably some time in April.

Edit - for powder coated edge protection mainly.
Did you get the same black 3/16” garage seal that Inused, as pictured?

Now, Injust need to find some inexpensive tie downs for the upper sides of the bed - so Incan properly fasten my bed extender net! Still looking…

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I like the yellow. Definitely might help with rubbing through the powder coat over time, but I see it as more of a chance for an accent.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
March 18th Update:

Okay fellow, Rivarians…. Two CY welting packages arrived. The one I ordered and posted earlier in the tread, and the one that @Belem selected (darker one). Some shots to help you decide if CY or black is right for you - be sure to update your vote. I’m now firmly in the CY camp, will full endorsement from the misses, and former art docent!

The hood and tailgate shots for your easy in choosing your CY-like color!

@Belem
@uthatch
@kizamybute'
@EV Sportline
@madgrey

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 6FB9A679-5885-4DC8-9A0B-E12FA1120D5B
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” E251A910-43C8-4373-8F90-6451BF6B593A
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 8645F9EC-95E5-4A2B-9739-C313C65E973D
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 3024E53E-07C0-4B33-8622-16A18155F0CF
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 58B549A1-2103-4E00-B34D-EF615A8505A1
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” A52FF5F6-CB04-4051-BF4C-8EE2E960A3EA
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 05C3B80E-12FB-41F4-8D88-56A3D3329D42
Sponsored