Sponsored

JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!”

So, what do you think? “Nope” or “Dope”?

• Total voters

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Hello again, my fellow “Riviarians”! As mentioned in my review (Tip #2) of subject Running boards …

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...aling-of-4”-hole-procedure.13403/#post-298630

I was contemplating the use of solid EPDM rubber or solid core marine grade vinyl bead-welting for use around the outer edge (between the tread plate and tread tubular frame) of my running boards. Why, you ask? Well, for several reasons….

1) Uniqueness/differentiation; I’m going with either Compass Yellow, Body color, or Black – for a more OEM-like, finished aesthetic. SOMEONE PLEASE Photoshop
and REPOST my pictures to show the bead in all body colors, including Compass Yellow!!!!

2) Personal preference, but I prefer there not being a raised sharp tread plate edge for the following reasons (YOMV, of course) {Where; “O” = Opinion}
a) Smaller children injuring themselves (cuts/bruising when crawling up onto the boards and into the truck) - Yeah, I have a scar on my knee from a similar young childhood mishap…
b) Powder coat paint scraping off that raised sharp edge with use (especially with dirty/sandy sneakers/boots or other footwear) over time – rust forming, etc.

3) Tread Plate cushioning – Again, personal preference, but I prefer a no “metal-on-metal” contact, when it comes to mechanically fastened plates (vs. welded). This will reduce the likelihood of paint wear-through over time, noise, etc... Also, with summer heat / winter cold, the plates and tubing will expand and contract at different rates - and in different directions. And no, I do not have any concerns with this bead welting/gasket trapping water or grime, any more than the “as designed and delivered” product. Again, YOMV.

This is really easy to install; just loosen the tread plate hardware, insert and apply pressure to the welding as you slowly tighten the tread plate hardware – work from one end to the other to ensure a proper fit and seal!

I tried two sizes; 3/16” bead and 1/8” bead and felt the 3/16” diameter bead to be best as its bead height is “slightly higher” than the top of the tread plate, thereby protecting that edge (and small children’s knees/shins)!

So, what do you think? “Nope” or “Dope”?

Black,
Compass Yellow to match other exterior trim highlights, or something close to body color? Please vote in thread poll!

Links to bead-welting like products that I used / tried / plan to try…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303642691725?var=602883985231

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/finishline-bead-end-rubber-seal-4-wide-by-the-foot/

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/bead-end-vinyl-weather-seal-3-by-the-foot/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221946354279?hash=item33ad089a67&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8LyYLu4ChBxPTeKxUSHK5O8TGUzgYo3BSM%2BMvO1r9QZV0jBrbVMUozgb4ShXg1tHX8rxknfiv89qQsBBjzj7LqtSgsmAjHxAg3ViYS%2FqVT7%2Fj73LltO22pBOej9%2B8jUKBDDI0Pgx0HEQHIMp%2BmhSsyH0A7HGnx7ISH3IuOZL2RhP19sOZyh%2Fb0ZqVyS5cz5SXYQAcYwL7oZyIlo%2Ba1nGaQkn%2BpDYUW0E5%2FiAkmhDYEBOhsCOpPxUYvA%2BL8OgPHaEqawyOkDyHTi656Wo1ie68W1%2F1GNJqhkJGaG25De0CFJhQGowfR3VQR6ewUKUpq541w%3D%3D|ampid:pL_CLK

Yes, what I first ordered and tried was garage door weather-stripping! Why? Because I save money by splitting it in two, and using both sides as welting, of course! Also, because I was able to get this in two days for my experimentation. For the final build, should I go with Compass Yellow or Body Color highlights, I will go with color coordinated single bead extrusion (Vinyl or EPDM rubber, depending). At 3/16”, there are MANY colors available from several sources, BTW. Not so for the 1/8” as I’ve found that only in black or gray.

“As always… Stay Angry about Running Boards (Space)!” – The Angry Astronaut (YT Channel). https://www.youtube.com/@TheAngryAstronaut

More seriously, any and all questions are welcome!

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 1678915299938

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6618

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6690

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6691

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6692

@EV Sportline

John
Sponsored

Last edited:

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
Neat idea and I think super cool. How many yards do you think would cover both running boards?

And I think Compass Yellow would be an interesting contrast.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Neat idea and I think super cool. How many yards do you think would cover both running boards?

And I think Compass Yellow would be an interesting contrast.
About 8' per side.

Edited to 8' per side, with some extra to spare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Figure 20-30 minutes to do both sides. I only loosened the outer tread plate bolts on my installed set. No need to remove the plate or touch that inner bolts.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6694

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” IMG_6695

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So, who’s going to do it, if and when you receive running boards?! 🤣

Sponsored

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll give it a go, both when I receive my truck and my rock sliders.

I'm all about low-cost quality-of-life mods that are interesting.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'll give it a go, both when I receive my truck and my rock sliders.

I'm all about low-cost quality-of-life mods that are interesting.
What color? It looks like you forgot the register your vote in the scientific poll above?! 🤣

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry! Just voted and I'm going to try yellow. Found some in eBay and it was ~$13.00 with shipping, so 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I may have made a mistake but we'll see if it works: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192087678066

It says it's for upholstery, but it's PVC. If it doesn't work, it's just $13 down the drain.

And here's the color:
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” s-l400

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I may have made a mistake but we'll see if it works: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192087678066

It says it's for upholstery, but it's PVC. If it doesn't work, it's just $13 down the drain.

And here's the color:
s-l400.jpg
If the bead were not hollow…. Anyway, it’s cheap to see if you like the color! Material wise, mine are weather proof grade garage door vinyl and rubber… I believe the 3/16” were vinyl, but feels like rubber. 1/8” is too small to protect that sharp edge. Unprotected, I can easily see the paint being scrubbed off.

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I realized my mistep after I ordered. C'est la vie.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If the bead were not hollow…. Anyway, it’s cheap to see if you like the color! Material wise, mine are weather proof grade garage door vinyl and rubber… I believe the 3/16” were vinyl, but feels like rubber. 1/8” is too small to protect that sharp edge. Unprotected, I can easily see the paint being scrubbed off.
Okay, I ordered six yards of your stuff to see which is a closer match to CT accents.

Desiboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid, LR4 ‘11, R1S
Clubs

Yellow, when I get my sliders, which will probably be in May.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yellow, when I get my sliders, which will probably be in May.
Are the tread plates on the sliders bolted on, or welded? I thought the slider prototype in the main thread showed a welded plate?
Sponsored