Sponsored

Do you feel this sealing approach is more viable and easier than other discussed methods?

• Total voters

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Any new installs or sealing jobs?
I would have finished the install yesterday but for the missing tp55 bit. Went through two auto parts stores and Lowe’s with no luck. Lately my orders have either missing or broken parts ☹.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I would have finished the install yesterday but for the missing tp55 bit. Went through two auto parts stores and Lowe’s with no luck. Lately my orders have either missing or broken parts ☹.
Yes, I feel your pain - re orders with missing or damaged parts. Maybe I’m buying too much stuff, so on a percentage basis it remains the same? Who knows…. Re the RP55 bit - I ordered mine on Amazon before 1EV reported they would provide with kit. Came over night, IIRC.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Any new sealing jobs?

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
@jebinc thanks for the awesome write up and detail. Hoping we get our RB shipped soon to start my install. Seems like they ship much slower than the site shows (notes June shipment for RB when ordering, but in reality it sounds like late August now).

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Received the running boards on Wednesday and executed the installation yesterday. As promised here are the pictures of the install. I opted for the L shaped cutouts and used the template from EV sportline.
How I proceeded and some tips on how i got it done:

1. Make sure truck height is set at highest the maximum. Started on the driver's side first and removed all the panels. Removed front and rear panels first then middle panel.
2. Lined up removed panels with outside edge facing truck driver's side. Very important to visualize how the cuts are to align up. Used a long screwdriver and the clips came out without incident. Remove the front panel first, then the rear panel and middle panel.
3. Used templates after confirming that the 4" line matched measurement on the template. EV Sportline's template was the truth!
4. Used a dremmel tool to cut out each panel marked and scribed L. Make sure the vertical portion of the L is pointing to the outside edge of the rocker panels. Trimed off the excess plastic on each L cut.
5. Had a breaker bar for the T55 but it was the wrong size, GRRRRRR! Used a plumber's pipe wrench as the breaker bar and a bit of elbow grease. Used socket wrench to finish the unscrewing of each bolt. On some bolts, the socket wrench 1/2" was fine but it was case by case.
6. Installed all the brackets on driver side and torqued back to factory specs. Important if you are making the L cuts or similar I cut. Must be done before panel reinstallation.
7. Reinstall the panels in the following order; middle panel first then either the front panel or rear panel and bolt back in place as per the instructions.
8. If you work alone like me and Chuck Norris, using a couple of buckets will help to get your running boards aligned prior to bolting on the truck. Start from one end to mock up the bolts then add the nuts and tighten down. You will want a bit of play to make minor adjustments to get all the bolts aligned.
9. Driver side is done! Now wash, rinse and repeat for the passenger side.
10. When you have the tools and the talent, "It's Miller Time!".
11. Admire your work and take some ibuprofen since you will be a bit sore lol!
12. Thanks to Jebnec for pioneering the installation process. Respect! Now, the pictures as promised:
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_085645
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_090430
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_093632
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_095954
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_112303
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_123045
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_123111
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_125203
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_125203
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_161118
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_161127
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_161132
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_163650
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_170001
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_170013
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_170018
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_170030
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! 20230715_170043

2. Lined up removed panels with outside edge facing truck driver's side. Very important to visualize how the cuts are to align up. Used a long screwdriver and the clips came out without incident. Remove the front panel first, then the rear panel and middle panel.
3. Used templates after confirming that the 4" line matched measurement on the template. EV Sportline's template was the truth!
4. Used a dremmel tool to cut out each panel marked and scribed L. Make sure the vertical portion of the L is pointing to the outside edge of the rocker panels. Trimed off the excess plastic on each L cut.
5. Had a breaker bar for the T55 but it was the wrong size, GRRRRRR! Used a plumber's pipe wrench as the breaker bar and a bit of elbow grease. Used socket wrench to finish the unscrewing of each bolt. On some bolts, the socket wrench 1/2" was fine but it was case by case.
6. Installed all the brackets on driver side and torqued back to factory specs. Important if you are making the L cuts or similar I cut. Must be done before panel reinstallation.
7. Reinstall the panels in the following order; middle panel first then either the front panel or rear panel and bolt back in place as per the instructions.
8. If you work alone like me and Chuck Norris, using a couple of buckets will help to get your running boards aligned prior to bolting on the truck. Start from one end to mock up the bolts then add the nuts and tighten down. You will want a bit of play to make minor adjustments to get all the bolts aligned.
12. Thanks to Jebnec for pioneering the installation process. Respect!

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Received the running boards on Wednesday and executed the installation yesterday. As promised here are the pictures of the install. I opted for the L shaped cutouts and used the template from EV sportline.

1. Make sure truck height is set at highest the maximum. Started on the driver's side first and removed all the panels. Removed front and rear panels first then middle panel.
12. Thanks to Jebnec for pioneering the installation process. Respect! Now, the pictures as promised:
20230715_085645.jpg
20230715_090430.jpg
20230715_093632.jpg
20230715_095954.jpg
20230715_112303.jpg
20230715_123045.jpg
20230715_123111.jpg
20230715_125203.jpg
20230715_125203.jpg
20230715_161118.jpg
20230715_161127.jpg
20230715_161132.jpg
20230715_163650.jpg
20230715_170001.jpg
20230715_170013.jpg
20230715_170018.jpg
20230715_170030.jpg
20230715_170043.jpg

I am looking for a local shop to do it but after this write up, you may have given me enough confidence to try it myself.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

20230715_085645.jpg
20230715_090430.jpg
20230715_093632.jpg
20230715_095954.jpg
20230715_112303.jpg
20230715_123045.jpg
20230715_123111.jpg
20230715_125203.jpg
20230715_125203.jpg
20230715_161118.jpg
20230715_161127.jpg
20230715_161132.jpg
20230715_163650.jpg
20230715_170001.jpg
20230715_170013.jpg
20230715_170018.jpg
20230715_170030.jpg
20230715_170043.jpg

Very nice! And thank you for improving the process by adding the “L” cutout information - for those that go that route!

Mine is still 100% - install, gorilla seal and welting!
I am looking for a local shop to do it but after this write up, you may have given me enough confidence to try it myself.
Do it yourself!

Greengiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did my R1S this weekend by myself. Chose the slot approach. Raised the running board into place for installation by just sitting on the ground and balancing it on my knees.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I chose to use the 4" drilled hole method to mount Opal's (the R1T) 1EV running boards. I did the installation myself over a two day period. It took this long because it kept raining on me. the installation went very smoothly and all the parts fit together really nicely. I did receive all the pieces ordered including the Torx 55 driver bit which I didn't use because I already had a Torx 55 impact bit mounted to a half inch drive. This worked very well for torquing the body bolts.

When I tightened the mounting brackets, several of them turned slightly out of plumb. I was able to straighten them up with a dead blow hammer prior to the final torque tightening. I was able to easily install the running boards to the mounting brackets by balancing the boards on a set of Lynx Levelers which I use to level my travel trailer. I adjusted my running boards as far inboard as possible.

I ultimately decided not to cover the 4" holes where the mounting brackets come through the underbody panels. I feel that in my extremely damp climate, this area would be subject to moisture buildup and could cause rust and corrosion to the metal above the panel. I think that allowing air to flow freely through this area will help keep it dry even though it will allow a certain amount of debris into the area.

I am really pleased with the installation and use of the running boards. They have made ingress and egress to and from the truck much more pleasant. They look great and the truck looks like it came with them.

Here are a few pictures of the intallation.

Brian

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! DSC_0020.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! DSC_0026.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! DSC_0030.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! DSC_0036.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! DSC_0038.JPG

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I chose to use the 4" drilled hole method to mount Opal's (the R1T) 1EV running boards. I did the installation myself over a two day period. It took this long because it kept raining on me. the installation went very smoothly and all the parts fit together really nicely. I did receive all the pieces ordered including the Torx 55 driver bit which I didn't use because I already had a Torx 55 impact bit mounted to a half inch drive. This worked very well for torquing the body bolts.

When I tightened the mounting brackets, several of them turned slightly out of plumb. I was able to straighten them up with a dead blow hammer prior to the final torque tightening. I was able to easily install the running boards to the mounting brackets by balancing the boards on a set of Lynx Levelers which I use to level my travel trailer. I adjusted my running boards as far inboard as possible.

I ultimately decided not to cover the 4" holes where the mounting brackets come through the underbody panels. I feel that in my extremely damp climate, this area would be subject to moisture buildup and could cause rust and corrosion to the metal above the panel. I think that allowing air to flow freely through this area will help keep it dry even though it will allow a certain amount of debris into the area.

I am really pleased with the installation and use of the running boards. They have made ingress and egress to and from the truck much more pleasant. They look great and the truck looks like it came with them.

Here are a few pictures of the intallation.

Brian

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Sealing the added holes with the gorilla seal is a better option, IMHO. Keep in mind, Rivian ships them sealed from the factory. And, it’s quite wet in Seattle, and the Gorilla seal is still 100% still like the day I installed it.

Sponsored

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chemist
Very nice! And thank you for improving the process by adding the “L” cutout information - for those that go that route!

Mine is still 100% - install, gorilla seal and welting!

Do it yourself!
Sweet!
I was tempted on your 4" write up and hole cover solution, but when I looked at the templates, i became more confident confident when I saw the overlap comparing the 4" hole vs the slot and decided to go for it. The rest is history. Love DIY!

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow so the print outs don't come in the box, is that correct? And off course I don't have a printer cause I haven't printed anything in 5yrs 🤦‍♂️.

Off to UPS store I guess, took me 1hr+ just to get panels off. Its gonna be a long day.

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So it went as expected. 11hrs total. Passenger side gave me trouble lining up bracket with running board or it would’ve been 8hrs.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! IMG_1572

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! IMG_1573

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! IMG_1574

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! IMG_1575

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM(5)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM(4)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM(3)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM(2)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM(1)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Review and Installation of the EV Sportline / 1EV / RMaxx Running Boards – Including Lessons Learned, Tips and Sealing of 4” hole procedure! WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.54.47 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So it went as expected. 11hrs total. Passenger side gave me trouble lining up bracket with running board or it would’ve been 8hrs.

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg
Nice work!

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chemist

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg
Looks great!
It took me about 8 hours but it was due to just taking time, measuring, cutting, trimming and working alone on my R1T.
Now enjoy!
Sponsored