First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Thank you! Parts used were for prototype purposes, but I like the black anodized finish over black power coat paint, so I plan to keep. Would love to find mounts with one center drilled hole only, so we don’t have to plug the two side holes and drill a new center one. Perhaps an after market company, with access to a source of these mounts, can have these made and kitted? I figure that aftermarket company would;

Sell three kits; 2 mounts (Upper rear of bed), 6 mounts (all upper bed mounts) and 8 mounts (6 kit plus the two lower bed mount locations). Probably a 100% margin play, @EV Sportline.

Last edited:

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
@jebinc cant get much cleaner and factory-looking than that. Any concerns on strength? I’m assuming not, or you would have mentioned it. I’m thinking more on the vehicle side and the material being screwed into. Looks like a well nut?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@jebinc cant get much cleaner and factory-looking than that. Any concerns on strength? I’m assuming not, or you would have mentioned it. I’m thinking more on the vehicle side and the material being screwed into. Looks like a well nut?
@uthatch No concern with RB plate or hardware strength, if fact, the very thin, not water absorbing, flat welting piece between the plate and frame cushions the trend plate while protecting the sharp plate edge from pre mature paint wear- not to mention protecting little one’s knees!

Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@uthatch No concern with RB plate or hardware strength, if fact, the very thin, not water absorbing, flat welting piece between the plate and frame cushions the trend plate while protecting the sharp plate edge from pre mature paint wear- not to mention protecting little one’s knees!
Oh wait, I was on the bed mounting points…yeah the running board welting sure looks 100% solid. And I’m still liking the yellow, but matching the silver could be nice as well.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Oh wait, I was on the bed mounting points…yeah the running board welting sure looks 100% solid. And I’m still liking the yellow, but matching the silver could be nice as well.
Well, F me! o_O

I'm not sure what Rivian intended for these eight mounting points. The Rivian bolts are 6mm (M6) 1m thread (course), so at least a strong as that rating. The welded nut in the bed seems pretty robust as well. My addition of the right length filler bolts, and nuts, provides additional mount stability in that spot. For my every day tie down needs, I have no worries. I wouldn't use these ties downs as recovery points - to pull some poor bastard in a Ford out of the mud! 😆

Having said that, many have mounted 4' L-tracks up top, using only the top three mounts. I poo-pooed that idea for my use. Think about locating a clip-in L-track tie down mid point between where the L track mounts to the bed - then applying a perpendicular load (like across the bed - side to side)... That is the weakest point, and not for me. Having three of these mounts of top (at the bed mount points), instead of L-track, made more sense (to me), and doesn't require a long track on standoffs running the length of your bed. Also, these eight point mounts cost about 1/8 of an equivalent track set up. Make sense, @uthatch?

Last edited:

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, F me! o_O

I'm not sure what Rivian intended for these eight mounting points. The Rivian bolts are 6mm (M6) 1m thread (course), so at least a strong as that rating. The welded nut in the bed seems pretty robust as well. My addition of the right length filler bolts, and nuts, provides additional mount stability in that spot. For my every day tie down needs, I have no worries. I wouldn't use these ties downs as recovery points - to pull someone poor bastard out of the mud! 😆

Having said that, many have mounted 4' L-tracks up top, using only the top three mounts. I poo-pooed that idea for my use. Think about locating a clip-in L-track tie down mid point between where the L track mounts to the bed - then applying a perpendicular load (like across the bed - side to side)... That is the weakest point, and not for me. Having three of these mounts of top (at the bed mount points), instead of L-track, made more sense (to me), and doesn't require a long track on standoffs running the length of your bed. Also, these eight point mounts cost about 1/8 of an equivalent track set up. Make sense, @uthatch?
Yep, makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Great idea. I have been using the cargo bar mounts when I needed an upper tie-down point. I will grab a set of these to give more options.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I voted nope because I prefer the L track style. I just think it would work better for me personally. Regardless it looks nice.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I voted nope because I prefer the L track style. I just think it would work better for me personally. Regardless it looks nice.
Thanks. Yep, to each…. Note, these are L track mounts, just a single point.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Thanks. Yep, to each…. Note, these are L track mounts, just a single point.
Yes I saw that. The beauty in the L track for me isn’t the mount but the fact that you can position it anywhere. Someone even did it with unistrut and that seemed to work pretty well.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes I saw that. The beauty in the L track for me isn’t the mount but the fact that you can position it anywhere. Someone even did it with unistrut and that seemed to work pretty well.
Agreed, every solution has trade-offs. The track allows for near infinite tie points along its length, however, max loads at each point will vary based on position selected relative to the track mount point on the truck. With these point solutions, every point has the same load capacity, but you are limited to three points along the bed side. For me, the latter was more desirable for my use case.

Last edited:

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Looks good, but I don't understand the 'filler bolts'... Are they just to cover the holes in the mount, or do they have a purpose other than that? Did you modify the mount in some way behind?

And then...
Yep, split my single system into two. One for all inside carpet and the other to service all the “crappy area” ports
Did you not want your dirt getting dirtier or something? :CWL:
Sponsored