Sponsored

Jalopnik - First BEV Truck in production?

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
Seems like an extremely narrow definition of mass produce. Rather than identify a specific number, it’s a soliloquy about how producing en masse is difficult and only GM can do it because they’ve done it with non BEV vehicles. By his unnamed metric, I’m not sure he considers Tesla’s being mass produced. It’s be more helpful if he identified a number (per day, week, month, whatever) that he considers as having achieved mass production.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Seems like an extremely narrow definition of mass produce. Rather than identify a specific number, it’s a soliloquy about how producing en masse is difficult and only GM can do it because they’ve done it with non BEV vehicles. By his unnamed metric, I’m not sure he considers Tesla’s being mass produced. It’s be more helpful if he identified a number (per day, week, month, whatever) that he considers as having achieved mass production.
Totally agree

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So if I understand his criticism, or critique of Rivian is that even if/when R1Ts start delivering to real customers in June - that its still not really in "mass" production because he cannot pluck money down and get it in a few days. Well shit, good luck finding that situation with any make (GM, Ford, Tesla). They all will be in the pre-order and spread-out delivery mode probably for 2 or 3 more years. It will likely be 2025 until you can routinely decide to drop by a dealership lot or boutique storefront and drive away with an electric truck from anybody.

I guess that's his point. Not yet mass produced until there are basically no restrictions to getting one. I think that's a pretty narrow-minded viewpoint.

If Rivian manages to delivery anything over 1,000 vehicles in calendar 2021 I'd call that victory to the first true EV truck maker. sure I hope its closer to 5,000 units ...

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
It will likely be 2025 until you can routinely decide to drop by a dealership lot or boutique storefront and drive away with an electric truck from anybody.
I'm curious if we saw the same for electric SUVs - I feel like the e-tron and ipace came to market much quicker than that, and were available (albeit in limited quantities) on lots within a couple years or less of first being delivered. It might happen sooner than 2025 for trucks.
Sponsored