Sponsored

It's time to confirm your configuration!

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
I was originally contacted many months ago, I forget but one of the early reservation holders. They wanted to know if I would switch to a black interior and I could have the truck that week. If I didn't want to, I could wait a few weeks and get one with the ocean coast.

Just got an email today saying they're ready to build it, whatever that really means. Probably an error and my order's been changed to black interior or something.

I just wanted to check here for advice that anyone may have on things to watch out for. Tire size or any of that kind of stuff.

I had set up a white with ocean coast interior but it's been so long. I don't know if that's what I really want or not. I should just tell them that I want to black interior just to mess with them.

I've had a number of silver, red and charcoal vehicles but I thought it would be fun to try white but I saw some pictures of a red and black and it looked pretty good. I don't know what a red with ocean coast would look like. I just always felt like ocean coast should go with a white exterior. I also have a small Nissan frontier work truck that I use for onsite work visits and it's already red. I don't want to be the guy with two red trucks.

I'm old enough now. I may just make this truck the daily driver, with COVID and everything I barely drive now anyway. I sold my 2016 Model S a month or so ago and it only had like 4,200 miles on it.
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
This is huge if Ocean Coast is going into production! Are you configured for OC online at this time?

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Yes, I've had a white with ocean coast from day one and I've never changed it. I've been tempted but not done anything. Like I said, many months ago they offered me a white with black and at that time they said oh it would just be a couple of weeks her Ocean Coast but we all know how that went.

I'll probably call them Monday. I need to research what the deal with the tires was again. I thought there was one size that gave the best miles per charge but then you couldn't get them because they didn't have them or some such nonsense. I just know in general I don't like big rims. Seems like they have more road noise or harsher ride and are easier to damage.

I'd kind of settled into not getting the truck anytime soon and with the posts of noise and rattles and the tonneau cover basically not working. I wasn't feeling like I wanted to get it right away. I'm not sure, feeling conflicted.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Haha. Congratulations? Doesn’t seem like you’re very excited. I hope you get the OC as that I what I have been waiting for as well and if they finally start delivering, that would bode well for the rest of us.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The 21 inch tires have the best efficiency and are the most common size in what is being delivered and what is available in the shop to those invited. The 20 inch ATs are what everyone has pretty much concluded Rivian is having supply issues with. You might be confusing the 20 inch Rivian supply problem with the 21 inch your problem. 21 inch is not a very common wheel size, so some are worried about being able to get replacement or aftermarket tires.
You are definitely the anti-forum member. Most of us are obsessed with every detail/rumor and every specific of our build. If you really do have an OC interior and it is ready to build, that is going to be huge news. If you have been contacted, you should have a guide. Contact them and they should be able to tell you exactly what is being built and confirm it matches your current configuration.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
You got to remember that folks on the forum are a smaller subset folks interested in the vehicle. There's a good number of people that deal with the company directly and that's that. There is an even larger number of the population that doesn't even know about the truck still and some that just don't even care that much at all about cars.

Getting older, my memory is not great and I'm not as into this kind of stuff as I used to be. COVID and the price hike and apparent quality control issues have put a pretty big damper on the fun factor along with having a very early reservation and then not being able to get it because of the options chosen.

I do admittedly worry and overthink things normally. Like when I got the Model S, there had already been tons to talk about panel gaps and alignment. So going to pick up the vehicle wasn't as fun an experience.

The tire/rim issues do sound familiar. I'd normally go with the smallest rim for a better ride and rim protection. I'm not one to change tires often, but it does sound problematic if they're the only manufacturer using a 21-in rim.

Like I said, I had the ocean coast configured since the beginning. I also had a contact and phone call very early on and then later another phone call asking if I'd accept a black interior and if I did they could deliver it that week. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the email is an error and or they have incorrect information. I would have thought I'd get a call from their fancy dedicated contact if the order was ready to proceed. Again, I'll give them a call Monday and see what the deal is.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

... I sold my 2016 Model S a month or so ago and it only had like 4,200 miles on it.
Your 6 yrs old Model S had only 4,200 miles??? Are you the original owner? That's only 700 miles/yr or 13 miles/week.

I don't know how you do that living in CA.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Your 6 yrs old Model S had only 4,200 miles??? Are you the original owner? That's only 700 miles/yr or 13 miles/week.

I don't know how you do that living in CA.
I bought it new and I think I got a good price for it but not like a Model 3 where people are selling it for more than they bought it for. It was a fair weather, car and lived in the garage. I drove it pretty much once a week but it was just around town. One or two miles going to play tennis or pick up food or go out to dinner. I did the same thing with the Honda S2000 that was also first model year. It only had 7,000 mi on it, when I sold it. I have a work truck that I drive for everything else. It's nice just having a clean car that actually looks new whenever you want to go putting around. Both vehicles I washed like maybe four or five times as they never saw rain or anything. When I cleaned up the Model S to sell it, the paint and everything really did look brand new. Few washings and no waxing, buffing or titanium liquid self-healing nonsense, thar doesn't do anything.

With COVID now it's even worse. I don't get to play tennis or volleyball anymore and I'm too ugly for socializing so that's why I'm kind of wondering about getting the truck at all or if I get it I'll get rid of the daily driver and this will be the only vehicle I have. I also now work for a different part of the company that's based on the East Coast so there's no local customers to go visit and I'm doing everything remotely until they fire me.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I bought it new and I think I got a good price for it but not like a Model 3 where people are selling it for more than they bought it for. It was a fair weather, car and lived in the garage. I drove it pretty much once a week but it was just around town. One or two miles going to play tennis or pick up food or go out to dinner. I did the same thing with the Honda S2000 that was also first model year. It only had 7,000 mi on it, when I sold it. I have a work truck that I drive for everything else. It's nice just having a clean car that actually looks new whenever you want to go putting around. Both vehicles I washed like maybe four or five times as they never saw rain or anything. When I cleaned up the Model S to sell it, the paint and everything really did look brand new. Few washings and no waxing, buffing or titanium liquid self-healing nonsense, thar doesn't do anything.

With COVID now it's even worse. I don't get to play tennis or volleyball anymore and I'm too ugly for socializing so that's why I'm kind of wondering about getting the truck at all or if I get it I'll get rid of the daily driver and this will be the only vehicle I have. I also now work for a different part of the company that's based on the East Coast so there's no local customers to go visit and I'm doing everything remotely until they fire me.
Nice. I really like the S2000 too.

I always made sure that we had one more car than the number of licensed drivers in our house. When kids were living at home growing up, we had 5 vehicles (for four of us). The extra vehicle was essentially my toy car but did get used more than your use case.

My current plan is to get a real 2 seater EV sports car whenever that's available - not a sporty coup. That'll be my new toy car. Hope I can keep the miles low enough. The R1S on order will be my wife's and our family road trip vehicle.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
With COVID, you should still be safe playing tennis. It’s outside. I stay home a lot too.

If you’re too “ugly” to socialize, the Rivian will help boost your confidence. You’ll be driving a hot vehicle with an OCEAN COAST interior. That’s a rare bird! You’ll feel like a rockstar! (That’s my plan.)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
With COVID, you should still be safe playing tennis. It’s outside. I stay home a lot too.

If you’re too “ugly” to socialize, the Rivian will help boost your confidence. You’ll be driving a hot vehicle with an OCEAN COAST interior. That’s a rare bird! You’ll feel like a rockstar! (That’s my plan.)
I used to go to a a drop-in tennis class every weekend. So oftentimes you're waiting in line for a drill and I know there's a number of people there that are probably anti-science/anti-vaccination/anti-responsibility. I remember when the first real lockdown happened and no one was supposed to go out if you didn't absolutely need to and the guy running the class was texting me wanting me to come to class. There weren't even vaccines or anything and he's like well, paying tennis can be dangerous. Yeah you can get hurt at any time but you don't want to compound the things by endangering yourself and others by passing COVID around, not quite the same as rolling your ankle.

It's fun to have a new vehicle and have people look and not know what it is but that's pretty short-lived and it's not like people want to be your friend or something. I had one of the first S2000s and I remember a guy getting out of his car in the drive-thru coming up to the side of my car and walking around and asking about it. I do remember being in a volleyball class and one of the girls that was always there would barely even say hello to me and then apparently she saw the car at some point and was very chatty and wanted to know all about it. Again, it's fun for a moment and interesting, but do you really want friends that are only interested in your car? Every cloud has a silver lining and being super ugly has the advantage of learning very early on that, it really only matters how you look. Everybody will shoot for the stars and then go through various levels of settling. I tried to talk to people a lot when I was younger but some people would actually get upset, best case they just politely walk away and then you keep lowering your own expectations to the point where neither person really wants to be around the other.

COVID really sucks, having the last couple years or so I'm still slightly able-bodied have been stolen from me or so it feels. No more tennis or volleyball and that's as close as I ever get to socializing but anyway...

Maybe I'll just get it and sell it, should be able to get what I paid for it without a problem.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Spent some time on the phone with them. Someone there changed my configuration. I'd hope there system would long changes and who made them but they says the can't tell me who but that is was on the 19th. I've not heard anything from them since my delivery window update in June. When support changed it back I got the " Your R1T configuration has been updated " email. I did not get an email on the 19th. I don't know why they would do this. They should have just called again and again offered the black interior.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
They say somebody changed it on the 19th. They say they can't tell me who but I don't believe that their system doesn't have logs of who's logged in and who's making changes. The configuration's been the same since day one and it was supposed to be locked in and you're supposed to have to call somebody to make a change.
Sponsored