It's not just you, garage door software is buggy

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I programmed my circa 2014 Liftmaster opener yesterday. Per onscreen instructions, first pressed the remote button while the truck was in learn mode, then pressed the learn button on the opener itself. Voila, it worked. First time. Lucky me! 🍀
Sponsored

BRadloff

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Toyota Tundra, BMW 535
Occupation
Sales
I've only done infotainment resets, I've never done a full vehicle reset. I filed a ticket with customer service and they are looking into it.
Just happened again. I programmed the opener on Saturday, worked greatthe last two days. Got in the car today and it lost all of the programming. 😢

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Just happened again. I programmed the opener on Saturday, worked greatthe last two days. Got in the car today and it lost all of the programming. 😢
Happened to me with the new update... i logged a ticket with Rivian

patsinthusan

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa Model X
Occupation
IT
Thanks for figured this issue out. I tried several times and ended up using the physical remote for over a week until I found your thread

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Just adding to this thread, same issue with our Liftmaster garage doors and gate opener, none will pair, tried various combos of learning from the remote, pressing the buttons again, pressing the learn buttons etc etc.

Annoying, but at least with the latest IOS version I can add the Homelink buttons on the lock screen, so it's slightly less tedious. And/or clip the remote to the sun visor like it's 1985 :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
So I found a solution and wanted to share it. I also shared the solution with Rivian support.

After you send the code from the remote, the truck will say it accepted the code. After hitting OK it will tell you it's going to send the signal again to test.

On the screen that says "sending the signal" (see photo) you have to hold your garage remote button AGAIN and then you will get a success message. If you don't hold the button again the screen will stay there and eventually time out as my video originally showed.

Once the garage has been added to the truck I found I needed to push then button on screen 1 or 2 more times and then it started working consistently.

Not sure if it's a bug in the truck or somewhere else but hopefully this helps others out

IMG_20220503_175800_hdr.jpg
Its not a bug This is normal on rolling code openers and integrated remote on new cars. On my new cars I have had to do the following 1) Put car in learn mode to learn a new signal 2) point and click remote at dash 3) wait for car to copy signal garage unit may blink light when done (note it will now control the garage door but only for a few hours until the next rolling code) so you have to 4) hit program button on garage unit & send signal from car again to establish sync of rolling codes. The car and garage door will now be in sync and should work all the time

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I did not have this issue on my 2021 Taycan or my wife’s 2022 Audi Q5. But it’s good to know there’s a workaround if it happens.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Maybe not a bug, but definitely an opportunity to improve the current UX. Not had this issue on the Tesla's, but no matter how I try to configure it, can't get it working on the Rivian. It's also 108f here at the moment though, so not particularly conducive to messing around in the garage.

Fireguy2020

First Name
Jeff (#7752)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, JeepLJ, HD Ultra

battincd

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sr Director, Information Technology
So I found a solution and wanted to share it. I also shared the solution with Rivian support.

After you send the code from the remote, the truck will say it accepted the code. After hitting OK it will tell you it's going to send the signal again to test.

On the screen that says "sending the signal" (see photo) you have to hold your garage remote button AGAIN and then you will get a success message. If you don't hold the button again the screen will stay there and eventually time out as my video originally showed.

Once the garage has been added to the truck I found I needed to push then button on screen 1 or 2 more times and then it started working consistently.

Not sure if it's a bug in the truck or somewhere else but hopefully this helps others out

IMG_20220503_175800_hdr.jpg
I have a Liftmaster 8500 and with my previous vehicles I had to use the Learn button. But this time, I don't have someone to help.

I had the same problem everyone else has...it hang on the 'Sending Signal' screen. Following Khaneric's instructions worked perfectly. But like he said, you have to press the screen button a couple times at the end before it actually completes.

The last times I've programmed previous cars I read about the learning process. It has something to do with learning the code rotation. But when I did the Learning steps with the other new car, the second car in the house stopping working. Very frustrating...I had to do the the process several times to get both cars working.

So, not sure if Khaneric's suggestion is the 'correct' way to program, but it works and didn't break the other car's remote.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
2018 Liftmaster units, all I had to do was hold the button on the existing remote. No learn button pressing, was a breeze.

2022.23 update mentions improving compatibility, FYI.

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone had the instructions say to use the learn button on the opener (with a picture of a ladder and a garage door opener)… or better question does this NOT happen for certain remotes? My directions say to use the learn button but I don’t have one. Not sure if this means my opener is incompatible. Wondering if this will work with my hoa gate code for same reason.

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
On my new Liftmaster 8500w openers it was a super easy setup. no ladder or learn button needed. Our older Genie lifts at our second home required using the learn button. One took 3 attempts. otherwise no issues setting up all four of our garage doors.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
On my new Liftmaster 8500w openers it was a super easy setup. no ladder or learn button needed. Our older Genie lifts at our second home required using the learn button. One took 3 attempts. otherwise no issues setting up all four of our garage doors.
We have the same openers (albeit a few years old now). I've not tried since the most recent s/w update, but did you use the learn button on the opener itself, or on the control panel (the wired remote panel that normally is near the entry door to your house)?

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
We have the same openers (albeit a few years old now). I've not tried since the most recent s/w update, but did you use the learn button on the opener itself, or on the control panel (the wired remote panel that normally is near the entry door to your house)?
On the new Liftmasters (~1 yr old) no learn button needed. On the older Genie openers both required removing the light cover and pushing the learn button and having the R1T send 3 signals to the opener. This is after you pair the opener remote with the R1T.. Just followed the on screen instructions. One of old Genies required 3 tries...
Sponsored