Sponsored

It's my 3 year Rivianniversary today!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Wow, 3 short years!

Time has flown by, almost didn't even noticed the aged piece of machinery in my driveway awaiting it's replacement.

Thought this would be a good opportunity to share why I chose the then unproven/productless Rivian over similar choices from Toyota etc.

Back in early 2019, can't remember the month exactly, I read an article about this "750hp electric truck" and was in awe. At the time however, I didn't really give it much thought and it fell out of my thoughts. Fast forward a few months and I became more serious about replacing my current vehicle, and had a choice, to either sink money in to keep it going another 100k, or sell, and get something newer and more in line with my evolving needs from a vehicle. I started looking more and more obviously at 4Runners and Taco's. The former I wasn't sold on buying another gas pig that had an outdated (but reliable) engine in a newer package, or the latter, a pickup that beyond 2 people, would require a shoe horn to get adult passengers in the back. Also, I couldn't justify replacing a current vehicle with something new that still carried over my biggest gripe, piss poor efficiency.

Enter Rivian.

I came across this video. The quality of the video, paired with the information packed within it were enough for me. It had the whole package, offroad capability, RANGE, on road performance, enough room for 4 adults, and... while still just a good amount of brand work, spoke to me from the environmental impact aspect, or lack there of upon ownership at least. For us (British Columbia) the power we receive is durived primarily by hydro electric dams, while not the best for some habitats, is about as clean as energy comes these days. Thus, powering my vehicle that way makes me feel a little better about my day to day commute/adventures in nature.

June 6th 2019 (3 years ago today) I put my money down without hesitation

Rivian R1T R1S It's my 3 year Rivianniversary today! Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 11-46-41 Your Rivian preorder is confirmed - adampilling@gmail.com -

While at the time it seemed delivery would start with the Large 400 mile pack, in October 2020, the anticipation from me was palpable. I was (and still very much am) excited to get any and all info on the vehicles, and finally see one in person.

September 2019 Preholder event in Seattle
I made a reservation for myself and my coworker/roomate in Seattle and headed to the event. Standing outside we could see the rear tail light of the R1T lit up through the window, I look at my buddy, he looks at me, we both give eachother a bro style look of "Fuck yeah" (don't ask me to elaborate on what that is, best description I could come up with) and proceed to enter the event.
Rivian R1T R1S It's my 3 year Rivianniversary today! 20220604_175332

We get our badges and head in. We check out the LA Silver (just called grey back then) R1T we saw from the entrance, and a Green w/OC R1S on the main floor. We look over both trying to decide "did I make the right choice getting the T over the S?" we keep going back and forth till finally we head upstairs to see whats going on. That's when we see the first public reveal of the Rivian Blue R1T, black rims, black mountain interior (with yellow pin striping on the seat belts at the time) and immediately both of us agreed. The T was the right choice.

Anyway fast forward though covid and all the craziness that ensued, I'm still as eager as I was that day, 3 years ago, to finally get my hands on the vehicle. My wife and I had to head to Seattle last this past weekend, and I decided while she was sleeping in the passenger seat and unable to object, drive to the Bellevue service center to hopefully get a closer look. We got there, and while the techs were busy either checking over fresh off the truck... trucks. Or, were helping a new customer take delivery of their Red R1T. Which by the way, when I told my wife it was meant to be read, she remarked that under the overcast skies, it looked more orange, to which I responded in an obviously low toned, yet sexy voice "But its Canyon Red..." After her loins stopped burning with desire, she agreed Canyon Red seems like an apt name for it. While we didn't get to get up and close with any, we saw several from a customer driving a Midnight Black one, to the red, to blue, and the Masterpiece... El Cap Granite. She agreed that I have good taste, probably the only time ever btw.

Anyway, to sum it all up. Seeing them driving around the service center had me just as excited as the day I first sat back and watched the first Rivian video 3 years ago. While the wait some times gets the best of me and can be frustrating. I still to this day believe in the product, and look forward to the adventures me and my wife will embark on as a result. Hopefully finally taking our on pause Covid honeymoon road trip through Colorado for some mountain biking with the Rivian perhaps???

Cheers, and "Soon"🍻
Sponsored

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
Congratulations on your Rivainniversary! I'm also a 6/19 pre-order, albeit for an Explore R1S, so I'm guessing I'll be celebrating 4+ years before actually getting to purchase - talk about delayed gratification!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
This Rivian thing for most of us…kind of an abusive relationship, innit?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I saw the auto show video in November 2018 but Dan Neil sold me in January 2019…

s00n…

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Congratulations on your Rivainniversary! I'm also a 6/19 pre-order, albeit for an Explore R1S, so I'm guessing I'll be celebrating 4+ years before actually getting to purchase - talk about delayed gratification!
I'd say Max pack and Explore editions will go hand in hand coming out off the manufacturing line. You're in good company.

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Capture.JPG

Congrats! Here's hoping you don't make it to Flowers.
5 year mark might be the one.... Because Rivian uses wood for the dash and I'll have.....you know... when it shows up the driveway.
Sponsored