First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director of Ops and Tech
I love this thread, just found it! I hunt and want to take the Rivian, but I can't be a week in the mountains/forest/desert driving around each day and expect to also make it back to a charger very easily. I had hunted for a generator option at one point and it fell to the wayside. We'll probably need a TLDR pinned at one point for what works with the least finicking... and hopefully someone comes up with an under tonneau option. Cheers all!
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Generac GP3500i0 will fit under the tonneau. You’ll only get a 3kwh charge rate out if it but if fitting under the tonneau is a requirement it’s probably the best option.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Generac GP3500i0 will fit under the tonneau. You’ll only get a 3kwh charge rate out if it but if fitting under the tonneau is a requirement it’s probably the best option.
@ElectrifiedOverland you said you ran yours at 80%, is that a rule of thumb? Does that mean that in this case the max running wattage is 2.4kwh? Is this to avoid overheating of the generator?

So with that scenario, 2.4kwh, what is the formula to figure out how many miles per hour the charge rate is? I am just trying to figure out whether it is worth it at this wattage.

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

@ElectrifiedOverland you said you ran yours at 80%, is that a rule of thumb? Does that mean that in this case the max running wattage is 2.4kwh? Is this to avoid overheating of the generator?

So with that scenario, 2.4kwh, what is the formula to figure out how many miles per hour the charge rate is? I am just trying to figure out whether it is worth it at this wattage.
I’m no electrical engineer, but it’s my understanding that you shouldn’t have a sustained load of greater than 80% of the breaker’s capacity. So I set the Rivian’s charging amps at 24 for the 30 A breaker on the generator. 220*24=5.28kW, or basically half of what you’d get from the Rivian wall chargers at home.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I’ve ran mine at full continuous output without problems. My all time average is 1.75mi/kWh so at 3kwh it’s 5.25mph and at 2.4kwh it’s 4.2mph.

Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
After several false starts with the wrong accessories I should be receiving the one that I need to make this work tomorrow. I'll do a detailed report back on actual charging amount, fuel consumption etc. if I get it to work. Note I believe the Honda EU 2200i will in fact fit under the tonneau cover as it's height is 16.7 inches (though I have a R1S). As previously mentioned I will be testing mine in parallel (already tested them singularly and successfully charged)

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Alright I managed to get this working. Here is a report back on the setup/results. So if you wanted to replicate this exact setup you would need the following...

Honda EU2200i
Honda EU2200i Companion
Parallel Cables
Adapter
Ground Bonding Plug

Peak output of this setup (with the generators running in parallel) is about 4.4 kw. Half that if you are running just one generator (in this case you wouldn't use the adapter, you'd just plug into one of the 110 outlets on one of the generators) I've tried with one and two generators and it works.

In terms of actual charging capacity you are probably looking like something on the order of 6-7 miles of range added per hour of charging with the two generators in parallel. I've put a sample 'sheet' below with a few assumptions. The setup peaked out at about 34 amps but I manually adjusted that down to 30 ish as I didn't want to strain the generators too much and simulate an actual 'charging scenario' while offroad.

Additional comments...
  • The ground bonding plug may or may not be necessary.
  • The Rivian charger was a bit finicky and did take a few 'plugs and unplugs' before it stayed green, hence making it tough to tell whether the grounding plug was the decider or not.
  • These generators are about as quiet as you can get on the market. They are used widely by RV'ers etc. due to their reliability and low noise levels.
  • I believe these would fit under the tonneau cover due to their height being under 17 inches but I have an R1S so could not test this.
  • These would very easily fit in an R1S in the trunk and even in the frunk if you pulled the false floor of the frunk up.
  • These generators can be converted to run on propane also (dual fuel). I have done that with one of the generators but was running on all gas here.
Fast charging? Nope. Good for the environment? Nope. A backup to extend range or in certain emergency scenarios? Yes I think so. Just couldn't be in a hurry. :)

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1674687352969

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1674687384870

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1674687424816

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1674687453350

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1674687490505

Last edited:

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Alright I managed to get this working. Here is a report back on the setup/results. So if you wanted to replicate this exact setup you would need the following...

Honda EU2200i
Honda EU2200i Companion
Parallel Cables
Adapter
Ground Bonding Plug

Peak output of this setup (with the generators running in parallel) is about 4.4 kw. Half that if you are running just one generator (in this case you wouldn't use the adapter, you'd just plug into one of the 110 outlets on one of the generators) I've tried with one and two generators and it works.

In terms of actual charging capacity you are probably looking like something on the order of 6-7 miles of range added per hour of charging with the two generators in parallel. I've put a sample 'sheet' below with a few assumptions. The setup peaked out at about 34 amps but I manually adjusted that down to 30 ish as I didn't want to strain the generators too much and simulate an actual 'charging scenario' while offroad.

Additional comments...
  • The ground bonding plug may or may not be necessary.
  • The Rivian charger was a bit finicky and did take a few 'plugs and unplugs' before it stayed green, hence making it tough to tell whether the grounding plug was the decider or not.
  • These generators are about as quiet as you can get on the market. They are used widely by RV'ers etc. due to their reliability and low noise levels.
  • I believe these would fit under the tonneau cover due to their height being under 17 inches but I have an R1S so could not test this.
  • These would very easily fit in an R1S in the trunk and even in the frunk if you pulled the false floor of the frunk up.
  • These generators can be converted to run on propane also (dual fuel). I have done that with one of the generators but was running on all gas here.
Fast charging? Nope. Good for the environment? Nope. A backup to extend range or in certain emergency scenarios? Yes I think so. Just couldn't be in a hurry. :)

1674687352969.png

1674687384870.png

1674687424816.png

1674687453350.png

1674687490505.png
I didn't check the math, but 11mpg is pretty inefficient

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Honda EU2200i
Honda EU2200i Companion
Parallel Cables
Adapter
Ground Bonding Plug
Thanks for doing the legwork on all of this!

So when I look up all the parts, we are nearing $3k for this setup, that is pretty steep in my book.
Granted, these are Honda generators, which seem to last for a long time.

One would think that for that kind of money you could find one device/ unit that does it all, perhaps even at a higher wattage.

At that point you could deploy 2 Generac GP3500i0's and be at 6kw, for about the same money.

Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Thanks for doing the legwork on all of this!

So when I look up all the parts, we are nearing $3k for this setup, that is pretty steep in my book.
Granted, these are Honda generators, which seem to last for a long time.

One would think that for that kind of money you could find one device/ unit that does it all, perhaps even at a higher wattage.

At that point you could deploy 2 Generac GP3500i0's and be at 6kw, for about the same money.
There are absolutely cheaper options out there. I had these generators already so was just repurposing what I already have.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I’ve done worse in gas trucks.
Yes if you are looking for miles per gallon here a generator probably isn't your best bet. This is purely about range extension where there is no charging.

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

New Here. Received the truck end of December.

Has anyone explored this option? Its certainly not as cheap as a generator, and I am sure other options will be coming (CIC is working on a lithium battery box now)...would this charge the truck and if so, how far would it charge.

Very interesting thread and certainly starting to think about options.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
New Here. Received the truck end of December.

Has anyone explored this option? Its certainly not as cheap as a generator, and I am sure other options will be coming (CIC is working on a lithium battery box now)...would this charge the truck and if so, how far would it charge.

Very interesting thread and certainly starting to think about options.
Explored what option?