Sponsored

IT HAPPENED AGAIN (Rock Damaged Windshield)

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
2 week old windshield. Driving on I-90 East and bam, rock hits the windshield. Immediate (but small) chip, the bigger issue is the dark u-shaped stress fracture that appeared inside the laminate layer

I’m not entirely sure what the issue is, but someone at Rivian really needs to take a hard look at their windshield/glass supplier. Because for a truck that is marketed at an outdoorsy crowd, this level of fragility in the windshield is entirely unacceptable

Rivian R1T R1S IT HAPPENED AGAIN (Rock Damaged Windshield) A8332D72-244D-4185-A6AF-4342506B3AAD
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You're just exceptionally unlucky.

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
You're just exceptionally unlucky.
I mean, yeah, probably. But I still kinda feel like the windshields on these are exceptionally fragile for some reason

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Not sure that there are a lot of windshields, not bulletproof, that can take a rock thrown up at highway speeds...as a fellow PNWer, my advice is to get away from trucks hauling logs...I had one lose a fairly large chuck that hit my windshield some years ago...so grateful to whoever invented safety glass...

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Not sure that there are a lot of windshields, not bulletproof, that can take a rock thrown up at highway speeds...as a fellow PNWer, my advice is to get away from trucks hauling logs...I had one lose a fairly large chuck that hit my windshield some years ago...so grateful to whoever invented safety glass...
It hasn't actually been a semi-truck any of the three times. Not saying you're wrong, but my XC60's windshield got hit with a fair number of rocks on the highway over the course of three years, and never once did I have a chip or crack or have to have it replaced. So either Volvo is using some sort of bulletproof glass, or Rivian is using see-through tissue paper

Last edited:

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
It hasn't actually been a semi-truck any of the three times. Not saying you're wrong, but my XC60's windshield got hit with a fair number of rocks on the highway over the course of three years, and never once did I have a chip or crack or have to have it replaced. So either Volvo is using some sort of bulletproof glass, or Rivian is using see-through tissue paper
I agree with this 100%. My Volvo was hit multiple times and no issues. I had one crack filled in my Rivian windshield already and I have two other small chips that luckily aren't spreading in 6 months of ownership.

I have a feeling the next hit will do the whole thing in.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It happens. My Tesla has 3 chips 2 I filled in and they never really “repaired.”

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
It happens. My Tesla has 3 chips 2 I filled in and they never really “repaired.”
It’s not so much that a rock chip happened; I know they do, of course. The issue I have is that the Rivian windshield seems to crack with even the smallest impact. Other cars I’ve owned got hit many times and their windshields never once cracked.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
So, is this a warranty replacement or can you go independent on glass? A few years ago, I had a rock do in the windshield on my Subaru Outback. Despite all the stuff about how other glass might cause a problem with their 'eyesight' system, I went elsewhere, no problems.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I had a small rock hit my windshield. Didn't think anything of it as I've heard much harder hits in past cars and never found any damage. This time however, found a chip/crack in the windshield. Maybe there's something to what the OP said. Seeing multiple roofs break. My own experience with a windshield breaking from what sounded like a nothing hit. Possibly they are using some type of cheap glass? No clue personally. But the evidence seems to be mounting that the glass might break easier than it should???

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Sorry about your windshield.

Minor request: Can you edit the title of the thread to make it less click baity

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Sorry about your windshield.

Minor request: Can you edit the title of the thread to make it less click baity
But it did happen again? Major L response, bro

That being said, I hate to offend, so I shall graciously acquiesce to your request

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

But it did happen again? Major L response, bro

That being said, I hate to offend, so I shall graciously acquiesce to your request
Gracias, hermano.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I agree with this 100%. My Volvo was hit multiple times and no issues. I had one crack filled in my Rivian windshield already and I have two other small chips that luckily aren't spreading in 6 months of ownership.

I have a feeling the next hit will do the whole thing in.
I’ve had two rocks break my Volvo windshield, on two different occasions. “Unlucky” is [robs ly the easiest way to describe it. It all comes down to how the rock hits — the angle, especially.

I’ve ’heard” so,e rock strikes and been surprised they were deflected without damage. Others seemed less severe but caused cracks.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

You're not going to like this response, but honestly, seems like just shit luck.

My wife's sister lives in Edmonton where flying rocks, are like rain in Vancouver. Anyway, we flew into Edmonton and borrowed her car for the weekend to go to a friends wedding. About 130 km into the drive, rock the size of my thumb nail falls off an oncoming big rig that bounces off the divider, and SMASH! turns into a baseball sized spider web in the middle of the windshield. She had already replaced her windshield twice that year, with the latest being only a few days prior.

Corning has started making automotive versions of it's Gorilla Glass, but so far only I think for Subaru replacements and F150's. Apparently thinner but more resilient against rock chips/breaks. Unfortunately can be nearly twice the price of a standard windshield.
Sponsored