Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Audi Q7
Occupation
Entrepreneur
See UPDATES below

Took delivery of R1T launch edition yesterday. All good. Heck, thrilling! This is a dream come true, really, an amazing truck and I ?? for everyone to experience this soon yourselves.

[Caveat - below is supplied in effort to share and be helpful, not critical. This is a brand new American automatic company, with nascent vehicles. I expect issues, bumps along the way. I also expect the, to be eventually resolved and responsiveness from Rivian. We all deserve nothing less and be;i.e. e Rivian feels exactly the same way]

Less than 24 Hours in Issues:

During the handoff from Rivian Delivery Guide (he drove my truck to the house, spent 1.5 hours with me, then took a Lyft back to the Rivian center in West Sacramento!), we discovered a few “glitches” which as of yet are unexplained and unresolved. I say “we” because he instantly adopted a teammate persona as in “we are in this together”, which I really appreciated. I didn’t feel rushed, all my questions were answered. Very cool experience overall.

1. Gear Guard - not operating correctly and inconsistently. We were able to “break in” to the truck about 60% of the time without any alarm sounding or flashing. Disconcerting. When it did “work”, the lights flashed and gear guard yeti appeared on screen, signaling the vehicle was recording a video of the intruder using all 5 cameras, but horn never sounded. After literally dozens of attempts and different scenario combinations we resolved it was broken and needed to engage Rivian technical support, which we did. They answered call almost immediately, were exceedingly friendly and helpful, but this was a “never before encountered” type of problem that they needed to research. They asked me to provide a video of the different “break-in” scenarios which we supplied. I await to hear back with an update today. Will post resolution here when available.

UPDATE 3/24/22: Tried using online chat thru the Rivian app to see what experience would be like, following up on my outstanding issue with gear guard malfunctioning. It took 3 minutes to engage tech. He found my "trouble ticket" by asking for my primary phone # linked to the Rivian account. This was his response when I asked about the outstanding trouble ticket and that no one from Rivian service had gotten back to me in 2 days nor had I received a conformation email of the discussion with a trouble ticket # or place to track progress:

"You're service request is with our diagnostic team. It looks like we are just waiting for the next level of firmware to release, as it is intended to resolve this gear guard concern. There isn't necessarily a case number I can provide, but any time you contact us, and provide that same phone number, we will be able to locate that ticket!
I could give you the Service Ticket number, but the only use of that for you would be to provide that to us when contacting us. It would only apply to our system.
"

UPDATE 3/23/22: Turns out although the owner’s manual says when some one tries to enter the locked vehicle the lights should flash, horn sound and gear guard yeti appears on screen with camera, the horn alert has yet to be implemented. It’s “coming soon”. Also, if any key (cards, fob, wrist band, phone) are near the truck, it won’t set off the alarm.

2. Alexa - You need to have the Alexa app set up on your mobile device (which I did not) before it works properly (news to me). Even then it’s a bit wonky. I’m going to drill down on this today and will report more later.

UPDATE 3/23/22: In order to have Alexa play Spotify you have to link your alexa account to Spotify on your phone app. Go More>Settings>Music & Podcasts>Spotify>Link

3. Spotify - we learned that the onboard R1T Spotify and your Spotify on your mobile device do not play nice together. We resolved that the onboard app is awesome and really no need to have Spotify on your phone on during driving, easy fix.

UPDATE 3/23/22: See above and no need to use phone Spotify app in truck, use the installed interface which is really good.

4. Keys - the proximity for key-cards and wrist band are so-so responsive. Hopefully that can be improved over time with software updates. They are inconsistent regarding the range you need to be in to the driver door handle. Sometimes you need to hold the keys on the handle to get it to respond, other times you can be a few feet away. Like I said, inconsistent. Also, I’ve read/heard different answers to whether the fob is also responsive. I think the owner’s manual says it is not, but others say it is. I’ll test and report back.

UPDATE 3/23/22: Reinstalled RiIvan key on iPhone and it worked great this time. Proximity turned on and latest update (2022.7.3), the truck unlocks automatically as you are within 2-3 feet. About same distance walking away or lock.

5. Accessories - this one stung a little. Many of us have wondered if adding or deleting certain accessories might move us up or down in the pre-order queue. Some of us have made purchase compromises assuming so. Well, when my R1T arrived, NONE of the accessories were onboard. Zip. Zero. A complete surprise given my guide never once me to Ed thus might happen AND I had paid in full for all accessories during the purchase process. I had ordered: 1. All-weather floor mats, 2. Rack, 3. kayak mount, 4. recovery kit, 5. field kit, 6. cargo shuttle, 7. Wall charger (which was shipped 1 week ahead of time). I’m waiting to hear from my guide on estimated delivery of these items. The delivery guide said to expect one to four weeks for delivery and install of shuttle will require a Rivian technician to install (with come to home or have to drive to Rivian center).

UPDATE 3/23/22: My guide apologized for the lack of communications and said to expect accessories to be arriving “within1-2 weeks” except for the shuttle, which may be “weeks away and will require bringing truck to the service center”

I’ll try to report back resolutions on above and add other issues encountered to the list as the days roll on. Hopefully, it will be a short list. Anyways, I’m not discouraged in the least. Like I said, it’s a journey we are on together, and with Rivian, for which being part of, I feel grateful.

UPDATE 3/23/22: All issues resolved within 24 hours. I heard from technical support, my guide and also delivery guide who each contributed to the resolutions above. They were very responsive (technical support picked up on third ring), friendly, helpful and when they didn’t have a answer they didn’t sling BS but instead researched.

I’d give my first service experience a solid B+. Would have been an A if they were knowledgeable of the issues but heck, it’s still really early and we need to leave room for improvement, right?!
Rivian R1T R1S It’s broken - Rivian Service/Repair experience… A for effort, B+ Grade Overall 1E662FB2-6DD4-4DD9-9EE9-16B55C0643E0
Sponsored

Last edited:

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
First congrats on the delivery. Looks beautiful. To me, these issues seem relatively small (thankfully) but I can see that it can be frustrating with the lack of communication from Rivian. The guide should have known and it shouldn't have been a surprise with the missing accessories especially when you've paid upfront.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yup, fully expect issues...which is why I'm keeping my TSX for a while. lol And yeah, the Guide should have mentioned the accessories not shipping with the truck, but arriving later, during the intro call. That is annoying.

OP
OP
dieselsan

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
First congrats on the delivery. Looks beautiful. To me, these issues seem relatively small (thankfully) but I can see that it can be frustrating with the lack of communication from Rivian. The guide should have known and it shouldn't have been a surprise with the missing accessories especially when you've paid upfront.
100% agree. This are mouse-nut issues (except for gear guard), shared for FYI in hopes when others encounter, the fix will be readily available. The inconsistent style of communications (“curated chat” as I call it) from Rivian is part of systemic pattern that seems to be bubbling up. This IS concerning and I hope RJ and team used the pricing fiasco as a one-and-done lesson in how breaking trust can be devastating. We will see…

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Took delivery of R1T launch edition yesterday. All good. Heck, thrilling! This is a dream come true, really, an amazing truck and I ?? for everyone to experience this soon yourselves.

[Caveat - below is supplied in effort to share and be helpful, not critical. This is a brand new American automatic company, with nascent vehicles. I expect issues, bumps along the way. I also expect the, to be eventually resolved and responsiveness from Rivian. We all deserve nothing less and be;i.e. e Rivian feels exactly the same way]

During the handoff from Rivian Delivery Guide (he drove my truck to the house, spent 1.5 hours with me, then took a Lyft back to the Rivian center in West Sacramento!), we discovered a few “glitches” which as of yet are unexplained and unresolved. I say “we” because he instantly adopted a teammate persona as in “we are in this together”, which I really appreciated. I didn’t feel rushed, all my questions were answered. Very cool experience overall.

1. Gear Guard - not operating correctly and inconsistently. We were able to “break in” to the truck about 60% of the time without any alarm sounding or flashing. Disconcerting. When it did “work”, the lights flashed and gear guard yeti appeared on screen, signaling the vehicle was recording a video of the intruder using all 5 cameras, but horn never sounded. After literally dozens of attempts and different scenario combinations we resolved it was broken and needed to engage Rivian technical support, which we did. They answered call almost immediately, were exceedingly friendly and helpful, but this was a “never before encountered” type of problem that they needed to research. They asked me to provide a video of the different “break-in” scenarios which we supplied. I await to hear back with an update today. Will post resolution here when available.

2. Alexa - You need to have the Alexa app set up on your mobile device (which I did not) before it works properly (news to me). Even then it’s a bit wonky. I’m going to drill down on this today and will report more later.

3. Spotify - we learned that the onboard R1T Spotify and your Spotify on your mobile device do not play nice together. We resolved that the onboard app is awesome and really no need to have Spotify on your phone on during driving, easy fix.

4. Keys - the proximity for key-cards and wrist band are so-so responsive. Hopefully that can be improved over time with software updates. They are inconsistent regarding the range you need to be in to the driver door handle. Sometimes you need to hold the keys on the handle to get it to respond, other times you can be a few feet away. Like I said, inconsistent. Also, I’ve read/heard different answers to whether the fob is also responsive. I think the owner’s manual says it is not, but others say it is. I’ll test and report back.

5. Accessories - this one stung a little. Many of us have wondered if adding or deleting certain accessories might move us up or down in the pre-order queue. Some of us have made purchase compromises assuming so. Well, when my R1T arrived, NONE of the accessories were onboard. Zip. Zero. A complete surprise given my guide never once me to Ed thus might happen AND I had paid in full for all accessories during the purchase process. I had ordered: 1. All-weather floor mats, 2. Rack, 3. kayak mount, 4. recovery kit, 5. field kit, 6. cargo shuttle, 7. Wall charger (which was shipped 1 week ahead of time). I’m waiting to hear from my guide on estimated delivery of these items. The delivery guide said to expect one to four weeks for delivery and install of shuttle will require a Rivian technician to install (with come to home or have to drive to Rivian center).

I’ll try to report back resolutions on above and add other issues encountered to the list as the days roll on. Hopefully, it will be a short list. Anyways, I’m not discouraged in the least. Like I said, it’s a journey we are on together, and with Rivian, for which being part of, I feel grateful.
1E662FB2-6DD4-4DD9-9EE9-16B55C0643E0.jpeg
Love the pic and I know you love the truck!

I have mostly the same feelings, with a few extra notes:

1. I have seen inconsistent activations as well, but many didn't start until I used the 'Away from Home' limiter. After changing back to 'Everywhere' and resetting the truck, it has been better.

2. Agreed.

3. Never even felt the need to use it on my phone since delivery.

4. The keycard and wristband operate via NFC (near-field communication) and should never operate at several feet! The card and band are powered from the door handle and it should not be possible to 'wake' those keys from that distance. My experience has been that I need to touch them to the handle every time. I suspect that the activation from several feet was actually triggered from your phone key.

5. Agreed. My wall charger showed up the two days later and I got tracking info the day it was shipped. The Recovery and Field kit just randomly showed up without warning about a week later. The cargo bars, floor mats, and kayak mount have yet to arrive. My Guide is looking into it. Also, I suspect you will be waiting a long time for the shuttle; I don't think they are producing them in earnest yet.

Sponsored

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
2. Most definitely not. I don't have Alexa at all and she works all the time
4. Key card and wrist band to the point above are NFC and touch only. You may need to hold it there for a couple seconds on the driver side door handle but they do work

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle.

Congrats on your new baby. She sure is a beauty! That's a great picture. Even the Rivian looks like she is smiling and happy to be home.

That's too bad about the accessories. They should have been able to let you know about that in advance. Please keep us posted on driving and use experiences and impressions.

Brian

OP
OP
dieselsan

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Love the pic and I know you love the truck!

I have mostly the same feelings, with a few extra notes:

1. I have seen inconsistent activations as well, but many didn't start until I used the 'Away from Home' limiter. After changing back to 'Everywhere' and resetting the truck, it has been better.

2. Agreed.

3. Never even felt the need to use it on my phone since delivery.

4. The keycard and wristband operate via NFC (near-field communication) and should never operate at several feet! The card and band are powered from the door handle and it should not be possible to 'wake' those keys from that distance. My experience has been that I need to touch them to the handle every time. I suspect that the activation from several feet was actually triggered from your phone key.

5. Agreed. My wall charger showed up the two days later and I got tracking info the day it was shipped. The Recovery and Field kit just randomly showed up without warning about a week later. The cargo bars, floor mats, and kayak mount have yet to arrive. My Guide is looking into it. Also, I suspect you will be waiting a long time for the shuttle; I don't think they are producing them in earnest yet.
Thanks for clarifications. Will give it a try.

OP
OP
dieselsan

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Got it. Thanks clearing up.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Helpful review. Glad most of those things won't detract from being able to enjoy driving the car.

Having been through the early days with Tesla and my Model S I am expecting issues like these. Actually happy that I won't have one of the earliest builds as a lot is worked out in this time period.

I expect a few service center trips in the first year of ownership and might be without the car for a bit if something bigger comes up. Parts being in short supply may lead to long wait times to resolve service issues. But we are lucky that we have back up cars here if the Rivian is out of commission for a bit.

Sponsored

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
I took delivery on march 15th. So far no glitches or issues mentioned above but haven’t tried to break into my truck yet ;). I just got 2 packages from Rivian yesterday. Im on vacation now but from my home security camera it looks like the all weather floor mats and crossbars. The only other outstanding equipment are tje camp kitchen and gear shuttle. I suspect those items will be installed much later.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
See UPDATES below

UPDATE 3/23/22: Turns out although the owner’s manual says when some one tries to enter the locked vehicle the lights should flash, horn sound and gear guard yeti appears on screen with camera, the horn alert has yet to be implemented. It’s “coming soon”. Also, if any key (cards, fob, wrist band, phone) are near the truck, it won’t set off the alarm.

UPDATE 3/23/22: In order to have Alexa play Spotify you have to link your alexa account to Spotify on your phone app. Go More>Settings>Music & Podcasts>Spotify>Link

UPDATE 3/23/22: See above and no need to use phone Spotify app in truck, use the installed interface which is really good.

UPDATE 3/23/22: Reinstalled RiIvan key on iPhone and it worked great this time. Proximity turned on and latest update (2022.7.3), the truck unlocks automatically as you are within 2-3 feet. About same distance walking away or lock.

UPDATE 3/23/22: My guide apologized for the lack of communications and said to expect accessories to be arriving “within1-2 weeks” except for the shuttle, which may be “weeks away and will require bringing truck to the service center”

UPDATE 3/23/22: All issues resolved within 24 hours. I heard from technical support, my guide and also delivery guide who each contributed to the resolutions above. They were very responsive (technical support picked up on third ring), friendly, helpful and when they didn’t have a answer they didn’t sling BS but instead researched.

I’d give my first service experience a solid B+. Would have been an A if they were knowledgeable of the issues but heck, it’s still really early and we need to leave room for improvement, right?!
1E662FB2-6DD4-4DD9-9EE9-16B55C0643E0.jpeg
Any chance you can share the update notes on 2022.7.3? I think most of the vehicles so far were 2022.7.0.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@dieselsan, great Picture and I think this sort of post is helpful to the forum. Ditto @SANZC02 on the software notes.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
They drove it to you? Do you have the option to pick it up? I'm not sure. I like the idea of the cheapest person they could find driving it 50 plus miles or whatever to drop it off.

It can be a pain to arrange someone to give you a ride, but it does give the option to fully inspect the vehicle before saying yay or nay.
Sponsored