Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

My crossbars are having the same issue. 3/4 latches close and one of them just will not snap to it’s locked position. I put in a service ticket but I’ll try some of the things others have suggested as well.
Sponsored

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same issue with my crossbars and had the mobile service come to my house to fix. I watched the service tech work on them for 30mins and quickly realized I could have fixed them myself with just a little patience. You can remove the plastic cover that's over the actual latching mechanism and make small adjustments with an allen wrench to realign the latch. It was basically a trial and error type process, but I know how to fix it if it ever happens again.
When I installed my bars, I could double click all 4 if just testing the latch, but all 4 were loose on the truck / not fully latched. It took more fiddling than I would have preferred but I got 3/4 to be installed correctly without any play, but 1/4 is still loose / not fully latched no matter how much I mess with it.

It wasn't immediately obvious what I had to try to pop off in order to adjust the latch; which plastic cover and how does it come off? The lever (cover for the key) doesn't seem like it'd come off nor hide anything underneath if it did. Maybe underneath at the foot of the bars? Does it just snap off?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

When I installed my bars, I could double click all 4 if just testing the latch, but all 4 were loose on the truck / not fully latched. It took more fiddling than I would have preferred but I got 3/4 to be installed correctly without any play, but 1/4 is still loose / not fully latched no matter how much I mess with it.

It wasn't immediately obvious what I had to try to pop off in order to adjust the latch; which plastic cover and how does it come off? The lever (cover for the key) doesn't seem like it'd come off nor hide anything underneath if it did. Maybe underneath at the foot of the bars? Does it just snap off?
I'm away from my truck for the next few weeks, so I can't give you more details. However, yes, the plastic trim piece that covers the foot comes off and then you can make small adjustments from there.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I thought mine were goofed but i found if i set it in lightly then locked it with no down pressure the latches all engaged correctly.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Wow didn’t see this thread before. Ours have the same issue. 3 of the 4 lock perfectly. The 4th is loose.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Anyone successfully try to adjust yourself? 3 of 4 of ours do not latch properly. Requested service but Sacramento is booked until April 😬

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Anyone successfully try to adjust yourself? 3 of 4 of ours do not latch properly. Requested service but Sacramento is booked until April 😬
Yes, pull boot off, the on bottom there’s a hole under the side the latch comes from, use allen key to push latch up or out depending if it’s loose or if it won’t latch.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Mine have always had trouble latching, one nearly impossible. Folks have said they are easy to adjust but I couldn't find specifics. I finally spent some time today futzing with them.

You need to pull the rubber boot off the bottom to access the adjustment screws. A large flathead screwdriver will help you work it off to start. But you will need to put the boot back on each time to test each adjustment. Annoying.

There are two 3mm allen screws on the bottom, one with a wider hole than the other. One adjusts the latching mechanism and the other the lever, but I found I needed to adjust both. I also got nowhere making adjustments with the lever open. So close the lever and hold it with your finger while you turn each, and you will kind of feel what each screw does. I know that doesn't help much, but I eventually got the mechanism adjustment to make the second click when closed, and then adjust the lever so it was out a bit further to get to that point.

I'm sure there is some clear procedure to get these just right, I wish rivian provided that in its documentation instead of just "contact service"
Sponsored