Issues using Alexa?

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Curious if others have had any issues using Alexa? In my truck, it works great when it's connected, but it seems half the time or more Alexa isn't connected to the internet and therefore can't respond to searches/commands. When this happens, the truck is connected via LTE and everything else works (e.g., music streams, nav works, etc.) so I have no idea what the issue is or how to correct it and/or get Alexa to reboot. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
That is strange...I have not had a problem with Alexa via LTE. I am wondering if the R1T specific commands like turn on steering wheel heat need to go to the cloud and back or are handled in truck...just curious.

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
Curious if others have had any issues using Alexa? In my truck, it works great when it's connected, but it seems half the time or more Alexa isn't connected to the internet and therefore can't respond to searches/commands. When this happens, the truck is connected via LTE and everything else works (e.g., music streams, nav works, etc.) so I have no idea what the issue is or how to correct it and/or get Alexa to reboot. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
Yep, having the same experience. I don't even bother using Alexa at this point, just got tired of it not working more than working.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I occasionally find my connection to the internet fails with Alexa via the display. But I’m with @MikeySea in almost never using it. The entire interface is so clunky it’s an embarrassment to the rest of the truck. Luckily “Hey Siri” has stepped in to fill the void.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I run into some things that Alexa can't do with the truck every once in awhile (like changing the drive mode or turning on the hot spot). Personally -other than that I've had the best experience for voice recognition in a car bar none. That includes AA across several vehicles and several devices over several years.

Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I’ve found Siri VR to be superior to the Alexa in my RT1. And found the experience completely opposite of the several Alexa devices at home and office. I also set up several skills for the R1T and wasn’t impressed with the usability.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve found Siri VR to be superior to the Alexa in my RT1. And found the experience completely opposite of the several Alexa devices at home and office. I also set up several skills for the R1T and wasn’t impressed with the usability.
The difference in experience with it is nuts. I've decided that you bought an r1t. The less awesome little brother to the R1T that I took delivery of. lol.

richcutter

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Creative Director
I just got my Rivian R1T a week ago, and I've had tons of issues with Alexa. I signed in right away and it worked for about a day, then kept saying that it couldn't connect to the internet. I soft reset my Rivian, and reconnected Alexa, worked for a bit, then the same thing. Hopefully an update will fix this. I use Alexa all throughout my house, and it would be great to get it to work inside my Rivian as well.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine has started acting squirrelly since the last update. I used to be able to say “call wife on mobile” but now it says something along the lines of “no mobile number listed for wife, would you like to call MOBILE?”

As reported by many other, Spotify via Alexa is also a no go for me for some reason despite my best efforts at troubleshooting.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I occasionally find my connection to the internet fails with Alexa via the display. But I’m with @MikeySea in almost never using it. The entire interface is so clunky it’s an embarrassment to the rest of the truck. Luckily “Hey Siri” has stepped in to fill the void.
Exactly. This.

Sponsored

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
“Alexa…call Mike Smith”
“Did you mean Mike Smith”
“Yes.”
“I’m sorry…I don’t have a contact for Mike Smith”
(Eye-roll/head-shake)
“Hey Siri, call Mike Smith”
“Calling Mike Smith.”

“Alexa, play (some band/album/song) on Spotify”
“To use Spotify, you’ll need to download it or upgrade your app when it is safe to do so”
(Aggressive face-palm)

…and yes I get the “not connected to internet” fairly regularly with Alexa.

I love this truck…and know it will all get better over time with OTA. But I despise Alexa (if that’s not evident) for this application…and also do not trust the privacy of it one tiny bit. (Fwiw. Apple is the only big tech privacy I trust at all. “If it’s free you’re not the customer, you’re the product.”)

</rant> (Sorry got a little carried away)

Last edited:

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just got my Rivian R1T a week ago, and I've had tons of issues with Alexa. I signed in right away and it worked for about a day, then kept saying that it couldn't connect to the internet. I soft reset my Rivian, and reconnected Alexa, worked for a bit, then the same thing. Hopefully an update will fix this. I use Alexa all throughout my house, and it would be great to get it to work inside my Rivian as well.
Experiencing the same. Sign in to connect to Alexa - Alexa works until the truck goes in to sleep mode. Then Alexa can't connect to the Internet. Sign out of Alexa. Sign in again. Alexa works until the truck goes in to sleep mode. Etc....

WalnutFarmer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tesla P85, GMC Yukon, Chevy Silverado
When Alex actually does work, but you have the radio playing and you call Alexa the radio doesn’t turn the volume down enough to hear Alex speak back to you. Alexa often hears the radio voice instead of yours in this case and try’s to answer your song’s lyrics.
I know that Rivian can turn down the volume when you don’t have your seatbelt on, so…. Fix that please Rivian.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
The last update sent Alexa off into the weeds. It was better before but still lacking..... and way too verbose. Especially when replying to a nav request.
Sponsored