Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Thought I would share all the issues I’ve experienced within the last 3 weeks. When the issues occurred, I always told myself well that isn’t that big of a deal. But now things are starting to weigh on me.
Day one
Panel gaps / alignment issues
Wheel alignment (car veers to the right)
Battery malfunction (service vehicle immediately)
Vehicle went to limp mode
They fixed the battery issue, something with the 12 volt system but said I had to schedule for service for the rest.
Day 3
Same battery malfunction error.
Limp mode
CS had me preform a hard reset. Still no service date for vehicle. They said they are busy.
Day 9
Limp mode
was told to do another reset. This time I really pushed CS to schedule me an appointment. Told them this is now becoming a safety concern for me. They said they would elevate me to scheduling.
Day 15
Was finally scheduled an appointment for service but not until June 24th.
Day 15
Was locked out of vehicle because the mobile key wasn’t working. My keycard was locked inside the vehicle with my wallet.
Hour later Vehicle was unlocked but when I started driving system fault accrued vehicle went into limp mode.
Day 18
Only the bass was working on the audio.
Tonnele cover jammed. Only opened and closed it three times.
There looks to be a missed aligned paneltuck in the unit

called CS again. They said they will try to add this repair to my appointment but not sure there will be time since I have a lot of other issues. They are also having a part supply issue. So wanted to know if I would prefer to have the cover open or closed if they can’t completely fix it.

Honestly these issues are shooting Rivian in the foot. While I’m in the parking lot or at a trail side performing a hard reset or seeing why the cover is stuck people come up and ask me how I like my truck.
My reply I love it when it works hopefully they can fix these issues. However I practically had to beg to get an appointment which took over three weeks from the first reported problem.

I wondering how many issues the employees who received their vehicle last year were experiencing. I’m guessing they had to sign a NDA.

6/28/22 after servie update - 1st attempt

I took my vehicle into service on Friday 6/24. The only thing they could fix was the gear door alignment. Which they had to do twice.
Luckily, I was in the area on Saturday. My advisor said I can come by to see the door alignment, but I couldn’t take the truck home. Their first attempt was horrible. Worse than how I received the truck. I asked my advisor if maybe someone with more experience could try to align it better. She agreed it was really bad.
I asked about Tonneau cover. She said they replaced the rails, but they needed new panels, but they are on backorder until early August. She made it sound like everyone will be needing new panels. I guess there was a design flaw. When I went to take a look at the cover that’s when things went downhill. I noticed a small tear in my PPF and a scratch in the paint. Along with a dent in the side of the truck. The tech acknowledged this could have happened when they were removing the plastic side rails on the vehicle. The tech told me they aren’t responsible for 3rd party equipment (PPF) on the truck.
I explained the truck came to service in perfect condition because I picked it up from the PPF installer shop the night before.
Along with the damage on the side of my truck they also weren’t able to fix the battery issue. The same tech told me they weren’t able to replicate the issue. I asked about all the vehicle logs that were reported. Since the issue has happened 3 times. He told me they can’t do anything unless it happens with them. Well, it’s been 2 days since I picked up my R1T and the battery alert has happened twice today.
I called the Rivian service center and basically told them the whole story and how I have unanswered emails asking the service advisor when they can fix the dent and damaged PPF. And how my vehicle has had the battery error pop up twice.
Sad my first dent in my vehicle came from the service center. And their whatever attitude. Honestly, I’m very disappointed. I asked for my next appointment if I can try the Costa Mesa service center because I’ve lost faith in the El Segundo center. Oh, forgot to mention about the wheel alignment. It’s way better than it was but still slightly off.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 7a318b0b-af5f-435e-ad36-b901efea8bc2-jpe

Follow up after my first failed service attempt. 7/5/22

Vehicle is now going to limp mode every other time I start the vehicle. Yesterday, I had to reset the vehicle twice to clear the code so I could drive it. So, it's definitely getting worse.

Don't get me wrong I still love the vehicle when it's not in Limp mode, drives straight, and I would prefer not to have a dent in the side. If it came down to getting my money back or having a replacement vehicle, I would choose a replacement vehicle. There isn't another vehicle I'm interested in. I love the styling, design, ride and performance of the Rivian.

I sure they will be able to address these issues I'm experiencing. Might take 3 or 4 trips to the service center. :headbang: I will keep my fingers crossed they won't create more issues by fixing current ones.

Let's take my bed for example. When trying to replace the broken tonneau cover, they wanted to replace the guide rails. In doing so they dented the side of my truck and after further inspection I noticed they sheared off the mount for the bolt that holds the interior bed panels. It's going to be very interesting how they are going to fix this issue. When will they fix the bed? I have a feeling they are going to wait until the repair kits come from the manufacture to replace the faulty tonneau cover. They don't me not to expect that until August.

Broken side - looks like they cut off the threads. Missing the hardware now.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 broken

Side with bolt
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 unbroken

They scheduled me another service appointment for Friday the 8th. They promised they will fix the battery issue this time and not let me leave without it being repaired.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 battery

Realign the vehicle with the steering wheel centered and vehicle still pulls to the right.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 IMG_3558

Recalibrate my driver side center counsel vent which do not move to center. Will only blow air on my leg.

Finally fix the dent on the side of my vehicle.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 IMG_3553

I just hope they will be able to address these issues. The reason why I'm so annoyed is because they should have been fixed right the first time and they shouldn't have damaged the vehicle in the process.

7/8/22

I dropped the vehicle off two days earlier to the service center 7/6/22. I drove in with the vehicle in limp mode and the battery error on the screen. The tech that originally turned me away came out with his laptop to see if he can see what was the cause. He just said there are a lot of faults and he needs to send this to the engineers at Normal to be evaluated.

Well, this morning I received a call from Rivian to approve the work order.
Rivian R1T R1S Issues list from 3 weeks of owning my R1T updated 8/4/22 5DF7A500-EB5D-41DC-96E5-41520F6D8DD0

It appears they are replacing all the batteries on my vehicle.

Thank you Rivian for making this right.

keeping my fingers crossed this goes smoothly. Hopefully the battery can just slide out from the bottom.

Update 7/28/22

Service update
replaced high voltage battery along with the two 12 volt batteries.
Fix the dent on the side.
checked the alignment.

The service took a lot longer than they expected since they had to order more parts. The battery doesn't just drop out the bottom. I guess they had to remove parts of the interior to remove the battery. In doing so they broke several trim pieces that they replaced.

They also replaced the outside molding on the door panel that they broke too.

They also had to call in their collision team to re-tap a hole that they stripped while installing the new battery.

I no longer receive the battery error while driving. However, the alignment is still off. The vehicle pulls to the right and the steering wheel isn't centered. I wonder if they even checked they alignment.

NEW ISSUES AFTER SERVICE

My new issues which started after they swapped the battery. On a hot day when the vehicle is parked or at a stop and the AC is on. A fan turns on and makes a horrible noise. I can hear it inside the vehicle, and you can feel the vibration on the steering wheel. This fan was never this loud before. Also, all the clips on the trim piece in the frunk are missing or are broken.

STEERING STILL NOT STRAIGHT

I have another appointment for service on August 3rd to fix the fan, replace the clips and address the alignment. o_O

Sponsored

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Exactly why I don’t mind waiting until 2023 for my Explore R1T.

Reactions: Max

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Thought I would share all the issues I’ve experienced within the last 3 weeks. When the issues occurred I always told myself well that isn’t that big of a deal. But now things are starting to weigh on me.
Day one
Panel gaps / alignment issues
Wheel alignment (car veers to the right)
Battery malfunction (service vehicle immediately)
Vehicle went to limp mode
They fixed the battery issue, something with the 12 volt system but said I had to schedule for service for the rest.
Day 3
Limp mode
CS had me preform a hard reset. Still no service date for vehicle. They said they are busy.
Day 9
Limp mode
was told to do another reset. This time I really pushed CS to schedule me an appointment. Told them this is now becoming a safety concern for me. They said they would elevate me to scheduling.
Day 15
Was finally scheduled an appointment for service but not until June 24th.
Day 15
Was locked out of vehicle because the mobile key wasn’t working. My keycard was locked inside the vehicle with my wallet.
Hour later Vehicle was unlocked but when I started driving system fault accrued vehicle went into limp mode.
Day 18
Only the bass was working on the audio.
Tonnele cover jammed. Only opened and closed it three times.
There looks to be a missed aligned paneltuck in the unit

called CS again. They said they will try to add this repair to my appointment but not sure there will be time since I have a lot of other issues. They are also having a part supply issue. So wanted to know if I would prefer to have the cover open or closed if they can’t completely fix it.

Honestly these issues are shooting Rivian in the foot. While I’m in the parking lot or at a trail side performing a hard reset or seeing why the cover is stuck people come up and ask me how I like my truck.
My reply I love it when it works hopefully they can fix these issues. However I practically had to beg to get an appointment which took over three weeks from the first reported problem.

I wondering how many issues the employees who received their vehicle last year were experiencing. I’m guessing they had to sign a NDA.
Atleast you made it 18 days...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m taking the vehicle it get PPF tomorrow. Should get it back on Thursday. Then I take it into service on Friday. Hopefully by next weekend I have a fully functioning vehicle.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I’m taking the vehicle it get PPF tomorrow. Should get it back on Thursday. Then I take it into service on Friday. Hopefully by next weekend I have a fully functioning vehicle.
I'm grateful to have had a loaner the last 2 weeks but this heat and sun are making my kids miserable. The stadium seating and car seats block alot of the air flow and the roof really let's alot of heat in the back. I'm tempted to call the SC and see if I can have some company come and tint my windows while my truck is in the rivian service center.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Why spend all that money on a truck that still has so many problems you’re not positive they’ll solve?

OP
OP

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why spend all that money on a truck that still has so many problems you’re not positive they’ll solve?
I have to keep my fingers crossed that they will fix it. Really what else am I to do? I’m kind of stuck between and rock and a hard place.

Reactions: Rad

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Your post has me thinking to defer my delivery (due in the next 8 weeks). Don’t need all of those issues from my daily driver
Day 10 here and only issue I have is they gave me the wrong key cards. Quality seems hit or miss right now. Looks like I lucked out (so far).

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Would you mind sharing either the first two numbers of your VIN, or how you purchased the vehicle? In other words, was this a Rivian Shop deal or regular time of order/delivery situation.

OP
OP

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Would you mind sharing either the first two numbers of your VIN, or how you purchased the vehicle? In other words, was this a Rivian Shop deal or regular time of order/delivery situation.
My vin is in the 5400. Not sure what you mean by rivian shop deal or regular order.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
My vin is in the 5400. Not sure what you mean by rivian shop deal or regular order.
Sorry for the confusion. Some here are getting early deliveries through the new Rivian Shop, an invitation only link that attempts to match you up (if your are flexible with colors, interior, etc.) with an R1T that was orphaned by the original person who placed the order. Several members here have received their R1T through this process, when their original estimated delivery window was still in the future.

As you did not understand what I meant, I guess I should assume that your delivery was from your original order, and not an invite to the Rivian Shop?

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Sorry for the confusion. Some here are getting early deliveries through the new Rivian Shop, an invitation only link that attempts to match you up (if your are flexible with colors, interior, etc.) with an R1T that was orphaned by the original person who placed the order. Several members here have received their R1T through this process, when their original estimated delivery window was still in the future.

As you did not understand what I meant, I guess I should assume that your delivery was from your original order, and not an invite to the Rivian Shop?
Rivian Shop just started and I don't think anyone has taken delivery from that yet. However, prior to the Shop, guides were matching buyers with existing cars.

OP
OP

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine was an original order. I can guarantee my guide made no attempt to match me a vehicle for early delivery. I asked and she said no. LoL.
Sponsored