Sponsored

Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These?

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
Hey everyone!

My truck is almost a month old and overall doing fantastic, but there are a series of issues that the Rivian Service Center will be taking a look at. I wanted to list them here to see if anyone else has had similar issues and, more important, if you've had any luck learning more / resolving them. For what it's worth, I'm on software version 2022.11.2 and am told that I should be getting an update soon-ish.

1) Squeaky Suspension: My suspension squeaks much more than I would have expected or experienced on test drives. It appears to be happening on the front left and right suspension exclusively. I have heard that some other people had an issue where a nut or bolt was missing and identified/resolved after a visual inspection.

2) 'Drive mode changes not available due to fault, please service truck': At pretty random intervals, my truck is unable to shift drive modes. I tend to get a temperature warning when this happens. The temperature warning doesn't make a ton of sense to me given that it's 57 in San Francisco and we had been driving for just ~25mi or so. This warning does appear to go away once the truck cools down.

Rivian R1T R1S Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These? PXL_20220509_011915576

3) 'Wait for vehicle to cool': Related to the point above, but I also get these temperature warnings more often than I would have expected. I don't think it ALWAYS relates to the suspension issue, but here's a photo of the message another time I got the drive mode unavailable error as well:
Rivian R1T R1S Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These? PXL_20220507_175315426

4) 'Driver+ Features Unavailable': This happens with regular frequency when I start up my truck, but tends to go away by the time I make it to the highway. Yesterday, it stayed on for a long while as I was receiving a temperature warning as well.

Rivian R1T R1S Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These? PXL_20220509_012701201

5) AC Sounds: Randomly, the left side of my center AC unit will make... whirring thunking sounds? It sounds like the motor is struggling or confused. I can move the direction easily, but the sound continues. It stops completes when the AC fan is off and appears temperature agnostic, but I haven't had a reason to crank the heat yet. Link to video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfhnsEQZ6pQWVs9x6

6) Wind noise on right triangle window: Okay I wasn't previously having this issue, but I think I am now haha. It may be weather stripping which I noticed, but I also heard that people were having issues with the small triangular windows on the passenger and driver side doors. How was this resolved for y'all?

---

Okay! Phew! Grateful for whatever information you can provide so I can have a useful service center appointment. That appointment isn't available until 5/16 (which I scheduled last week and think is way too long). Thank you!
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
5) AC Sounds: Randomly, the left side of my center AC unit will make... whirring thunking sounds? It sounds like the motor is struggling or confused. I can move the direction easily, but the sound continues. It stops completes when the AC fan is off and appears temperature agnostic, but I haven't had a reason to crank the heat yet. Link to video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfhnsEQZ6pQWVs9x6
We don't know exactly how they work, but that repetitive sound is typical of a stepper or servo motor trying to move to home position to detect a home reference, and not being able to do so. I would expect that when that happens, you would not be able to control that vent properly in its full range of motion.

if those automated vents were an option, I would gladly delete that option and go with manual vents.

OP
OP
CarterGee

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Intrigue. Very helpful, and sounds like a software issue?

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure; 2020 BMW X5
Hey everyone!

My truck is almost a month old and overall doing fantastic, but there are a series of issues that the Rivian Service Center will be taking a look at. I wanted to list them here to see if anyone else has had similar issues and, more important, if you've had any luck learning more / resolving them. For what it's worth, I'm on software version 2022.11.2 and am told that I should be getting an update soon-ish.

1) Squeaky Suspension: My suspension squeaks much more than I would have expected or experienced on test drives. It appears to be happening on the front left and right suspension exclusively. I have heard that some other people had an issue where a nut or bolt was missing and identified/resolved after a visual inspection.

2) 'Drive mode changes not available due to fault, please service truck': At pretty random intervals, my truck is unable to shift drive modes. I tend to get a temperature warning when this happens. The temperature warning doesn't make a ton of sense to me given that it's 57 in San Francisco and we had been driving for just ~25mi or so. This warning does appear to go away once the truck cools down.

PXL_20220509_011915576.jpg

3) 'Wait for vehicle to cool': Related to the point above, but I also get these temperature warnings more often than I would have expected. I don't think it ALWAYS relates to the suspension issue, but here's a photo of the message another time I got the drive mode unavailable error as well:
PXL_20220507_175315426.jpg

4) 'Driver+ Features Unavailable': This happens with regular frequency when I start up my truck, but tends to go away by the time I make it to the highway. Yesterday, it stayed on for a long while as I was receiving a temperature warning as well.

PXL_20220509_012701201.jpg

6) Wind noise on right triangle window: Okay I wasn't previously having this issue, but I think I am now haha. It may be weather stripping which I noticed, but I also heard that people were having issues with the small triangular windows on the passenger and driver side doors. How was this resolved for y'all?

---

Okay! Phew! Grateful for whatever information you can provide so I can have a useful service center appointment. That appointment isn't available until 5/16 (which I scheduled last week and think is way too long). Thank you!
I've got issues 1 and 6. Currently at SC. When I get it back I will let you know what they found.

OP
OP
CarterGee

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've got issues 1 and 6. Currently at SC. When I get it back I will let you know what they found.
YAY! Someone else in my same boat. Please do report back! How long is your truck in the shop for?

Sponsored

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YAY! Someone else in my same boat. Please do report back! How long is your truck in the shop for?
Since Thursday and hoping to have back by end of week.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

my suspension is squeeky, too. since it's an air suspension, does it have some sort of lubrication on the shaft that's maybe under applied or not applied at all?

i've got some weird some noises coming from the defrost vent motor on the windshield and sometimes it seems to blow cold air on the windshield when that would make zero sense (so I think that servo motor is failing to fully shut).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Intrigue. Very helpful, and sounds like a software issue?
Possibly a software issue, but the odds are more likely a hardware issue. Assuming that it is a homing issue, there's a couple of ways to sense home, so there's the possibility that a home sensor could be bad. Or the vane actuator mechanism could be jammed, so the motor can't drive to home, and it keeps retrying. All educated guesses..... 🤔.

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
my suspension is squeeky, too. since it's an air suspension, does it have some sort of lubrication on the shaft that's maybe under applied or not applied at all?

i've got some weird some noises coming from the defrost vent motor on the windshield and sometimes it seems to blow cold air on the windshield when that would make zero sense (so I think that servo motor is failing to fully shut).
My 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w/ air suspension was squeaky too, however, my 2020 BMW X5 w/ air suspension is NOT squeaky. Not sure if it's just a symptom of air suspension or not. Also, when lightly accelerating, I hear a "click". Need to get in my neighbors and see if I hear the same thing.

OP
OP
CarterGee

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since Thursday and hoping to have back by end of week.
Oh damn haha Okay I will brace to not have a truck for that long. When I chatted with support, they were like, "Oh yeah we'll tell you how long it will take the day before you bring it in." That wasn't like... my favorite piece of news, but they did say that they give rental car credits. So... cool? We'll see.

---

As for the squeaky suspension... Had heard that one other person had a similar issue that was mostly resolved by replacing some small missing parts. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I hadn't heard any of this in any other R1T I've driven, so I definitely don't think it's normal / what they want.

Sponsored

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
I had a pretty annoying squeak that was easy to replicate by tapping the accelerator over and over. Sounded like a creak and was clearly audible inside and outside. They said they relubricated the half shafts to fix and that definitely made it go away.

OP
OP
CarterGee

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alright, the latest from support is that I probably have a faulty sensor. I got this terrifying notification today and called back haha

Rivian R1T R1S Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These? PXL_20220509_210109773

I'm still a little (a lot) annoyed that a service appointment takes >2weeks to get, but they'll take a look next Monday.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Alright, the latest from support is that I probably have a faulty sensor. I got this terrifying notification today and called back haha

PXL_20220509_210109773.jpg

I'm still a little (a lot) annoyed that a service appointment takes >2weeks to get, but they'll take a look next Monday.
Hate to break it to you, but I think your truck is totaled. I'll give you $20 to take it off your hands.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3

PXL_20220509_210109773.jpg

I will be interested to hear if the high temperature issues and high-voltage battery issues are related. Thanks for posting your updates.
Good luck on getting an earlier service appointment!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

To the OP: Good luck with getting all these little annoying issues resolved and thanks for being a beta tester for the rest of us sad truckless reservation holders still holding onto our dreams of an Ocean Coast interior...
Sponsored