Sponsored

Is this Tesla's attempt at taking a shot at Rivian ?

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Saw this today, its not a new feature but they released a video today on it, wonder if this is their attempt at trying to keep some of their customers that may be jumping ship to a Rivian ?
Sponsored

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Wow is right. You can tell Tesla doesn't have a PR department.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There are lots of reasons to crap on Tesla - mostly Elon, poor build quality - but I think they do a good job of trying to roll out new features. This could be a welcome mode for a lot of their customers. My neighbor has a Model Y on Off Road tires that he takes out most weekends.

No other car company has provided more post-purchase added value than Tesla. We should be lucky that they have set the bar for OTA updates so high that Rivian and all other manufacturers are following suit.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Saw this today, its not a new feature but they released a video today on it, wonder if this is their attempt at trying to keep some of their customers that may be jumping ship to a Rivian ?
Yes!

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Rivian has stolen/copied much already from Tesla, but I think this is more as others have stated, Tesla continuing to add value for their customers.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Dumb question: Where did they put all their bags?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Guys…. Tesla has had camp mode for a long time, this is not new. They had camp mode before dog mode. Like they have had camp mode since before they announced Cybertruck. Tesla does not have a PR department, but they’ve been making feature highlight videos lately and this is their newest one. No shot at Rivian here.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The feature is poorly named. It does 3 things, none of which really relate to camping. A better name would just be "keep the engine running". It keeps climate control going, keeps the music playing, and doesn't lock the doors. (well technically there is a #4, there is also a gimmicky animation on the screen).

I would never consider camping in my Tesla, but I use "camp mode" all the time. One frequent example is when sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up from airport/school/sports/etc. After a while the car will shut down even if you are still sitting in the front seat unless you enable camp mode.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Dumb question: Where did they put all their bags?
Fronk. front seat and rear floor. I would not take Y off road with the same peace of mind that I would Rivian. No spare and low ground clearance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

There are lots of reasons to crap on Tesla - mostly Elon, poor build quality - but I think they do a good job of trying to roll out new features. This could be a welcome mode for a lot of their customers. My neighbor has a Model Y on Off Road tires that he takes out most weekends.

No other car company has provided more post-purchase added value than Tesla. We should be lucky that they have set the bar for OTA updates so high that Rivian and all other manufacturers are following suit.
I actually really like Tesla, without them I think companies like Rivian wouldn't be around or if they were they probably wouldn't be in the BEV world. Tesla has also made me a lot of money, I had a return of almost $200k on a $8k investment. And I agree with the post-purchase added value that I credit Tesla with creating and I hope rivian follows. I just found it funny that a feature that alot of people knew existed just had a feature video released for it talking about being adventurous and camping in a Tesla, especially with the shots Elon has taken at rivian with their valuation recently.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

Yep, I saw this. I think it's just some idle marketing folks rolling out collateral. I don't see how this would matter a tinker's cuss to anyone like me frittering away time on a Rivian forum waiting for the R1T … : ) … but yeah, camp mode is one of those "this is obvious, please write the code" things that we asked about for 5 years before some intern was allowed to write 25 lines of code to make it happen … : )

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The new Hummer EV commercial was definitely targeted at all the “dealbreaker” forum members here.

Apple Car Play, Crab Walk (Tank Turn stand-in), a frunk that opens up at the front . . . What else could you possible need in a truck?

OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

The new Hummer EV commercial was definitely targeted at all the “dealbreaker” forum members here.

Apple Car Play, Crab Walk (Tank Turn stand-in), a frunk that opens up at the front . . . What else could you possible need in a truck?

All this is good, but at a hefty price to pay, not only extremely expensive, but a huge vehicle as well. And with the reportedly 200Kwh battery only has a little bit better than Rivians range?
Sponsored