Sponsored

Is this really necessary? Overpriced touch up paint pen from Rivian

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I just received my overpriced touch up paint pen from Rivian.

As small companies grow they tend to lose touch. My paint pen is a great example.

Rivian promotes itself as a green company yet they shipped the paint pen in a large 12” x 8” x 4” cardboard box. It‘s a great example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Even if all of the packaging is recycled and compostable is this really necessary?

“Preserving the natural world for generations to come.”

Rivian R1T R1S Is this really necessary?  Overpriced touch up paint pen from Rivian 59B5E097-946C-4C98-B88A-C4B4319F0826

Rivian R1T R1S Is this really necessary?  Overpriced touch up paint pen from Rivian 0C9E86AE-8E6F-4CDA-9C3C-38E1E70221C9

Rivian R1T R1S Is this really necessary?  Overpriced touch up paint pen from Rivian 74A27CE3-62D5-42A3-9ACE-37548DE70202
Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s usually worse to order thousands of boxes for every size item they might possibly ship. And far more expensive. And then they need to allocate shelf space, which is probably heated and requires more shelving. More SKUs to manage, which means more IT resources. There are second and third order effects of trying to keep your cardboard box perfectly fit to that pen.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It is a bit of overkill, but I can’t imagine there is anything else they ship that is smaller than that pen. It doesn’t make sense to have a whole set of boxes for just 1 item. I would just be glad it’s all paper/ cardboard and not something greenwashed Like a padded envelope that can’t be recycled because of the bubble wrap lining.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Having a single-sized box instead of buying a dozen different sizes might be more eco-friendly.

Insight75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
Amazon is the damn worst with this. I try to reuse boxes as much as possible.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
My wife recently received a tiny face lotion from Bloomingdales in a massive 2ftx2ft box, I was shocked by the wasteful shipping. This doesnt seem as bad in comparison.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

People will complain about anything... You do realize it's most likely drop-shipped and actually packed and sent by a 3rd party?

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
FWIW. I think this tells a much bigger story. First, the box is expensive. The shipping cost on the oversized box is higher. The handling cost is higher. It is the wrong tool for the job on every dimension. But clearly some shipping employee said, "whatever" and sent it this way. No process was in place to say to said shipping employee "WTH?" and "do-over." So the company lost a few dollars. It is indicative of Rivian's struggles on so many dimensions. (Even if it was a third party supplier, the point is the same.)

And to be clear, I am no schadenfreude troll. Love Rivians, have two on order (coming one of these days) and am a shareholder. But it has issues on getting the basics right and the OP has pointed to an interesting example. Find a factory floor that is unswept and dirty with things out of place and you have found a factory with lousy quality control. Find a shipping department that does this sort of stuff and you found a company that is leaking money everywhere.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

People will complain about anything... You do realize it's most likely drop-shipped and actually packed and sent by a 3rd party?
Packaging.......Were upset about Packaging!! 🤯😳😱🤯😳😱
Sponsored