Is this a normal charging noise?

Sculpix

First Name
Sculpix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is my first EV so I have a lot to learn. I've only ever charged my R1T with the Rivian home charger and usually it's pretty quiet. But tonight I walked into the garage only to be greeted by this sound coming from the rear between the back tires. It's so loud and it goes away when I remove the charger.

Climate is off and it's charging at 11.2 kW. I last drove it about 5hrs ago for about 20min.

Perhaps this is a normal sound I've just never heard?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This is my first EV so I have a lot to learn. I've only ever charged my R1T with the Rivian home charger and usually it's pretty quiet. But tonight I walked into the garage only to be greeted by this sound coming from the rear between the back tires. It's so loud and it goes away when I remove the charger.

Climate is off and it's charging at 11.2 kW. I last drove it about 5hrs ago for about 20min.

Perhaps this is a normal sound I've just never heard?

Most Def not normal.

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

Sounds like the air compressor seal has died and it is trying to top up...def not normal.

OP
OP

Sculpix

First Name
Sculpix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks everyone. I put in a ticket to be included in my already scheduled service appt. FWIW the noise did stop and it went back to quiet charging. But since I can't hear it from inside my house and I charge it after midnight I have no idea how long it went on for or whether it happens every time. It's a brand new truck I've had less than a month
Sponsored