First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
... I just keep getting the feeling that this is going to end up being the mall cruiser of adventure vehicles.
Most people don't have the money to dedicate a $75k Rivian for exclusive use as an "adventure" vehicle once a week, or less, so it's just practical that they will be used as dailiy drivers. I suspect that 95%+ of consumer purchased 4WD vehicles have the same usage pattern. I've owned true 4WD vehicles for 30 years, and they been to the mall, taking kids to school, etc. as well as towing boats, campers, tractors, and off roading on my farm, and in the mountains. At the end of the day, why does it even matter how other people choose to use their "adventure" vehicle? Everyone has their own definition of what is an adventure.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Any place with bears I’ve always kept my food/cooking area separate from my sleeping area. These guys talking about storing food in the frunk will have a bear in their roof top tent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57763443
Good thing I don’t have a rooftop tent.
a cooler locked in the frunk and all the cooking stuff put away is as good as a bear locker in your site.

and, again, literally every single RV and ”overlanding rig” keeps food real close to people.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Most vehicles are mall cruisers when you get right down to it. For me it would be hard to justify something like this being solely devoted to off-road purposes given the handling ability and the price tag.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Most vehicles are mall cruisers when you get right down to it. For me it would be hard to justify something like this being solely devoted to off-road purposes given the handling ability and the price tag.
“Mall cruiser” to me implies that it’s never taken offroad, not that it isn’t a daily driver that also serves those other on-pavement duties.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“Mall cruiser” to me implies that it’s never taken offroad, not that it isn’t a daily driver that also serves those other on-pavement duties.
I guess I always equate mall cruiser to where it spends most of its time, but your definition makes sense.

But then thats like my use case for a truck too. Pickup runs at Home Depot or furniture stores instead of job sites and the only off-roading is going to the farm or the gun range

Sponsored

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I agree with this definition. I also wouldn’t want two cars if one is 75K+. R1S I totally see as the family choice/less interested in “adventures.”

I think, for me, I want the Bronco Off Rodeo but for Rivian. I want to feel part of community. I really love what Ford is doing on that end.

I think the waiting and seeing all the other cool cars dropping has me thinking. We really need some test drives or ride alongs.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Any place with bears I’ve always kept my food/cooking area separate from my sleeping area. These guys talking about storing food in the frunk will have a bear in their roof top tent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57763443
To a bear, a Rivian with food inside any storage area is truly "Meals on Wheels".

"Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside."

Bears are the one reason I always bring at least one friend camping that I know I can outrun.
?‍♂ ??

[Edited to replace blind person with a lazy guy (in a sad case of irony, the author failed to see the red tip on the cane of the emoji). The author also hopes anyone outraged by poking fun at a lazy guy will, in fact, be too lazy to complain. Tip of the hat (and my reading glasses) to EVSport7 for their superior vision.]

Last edited:

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To a bear, a Rivian with food inside any storage area is truly "Meals on Wheels".

Bears are the one reason I always bring at least one friend camping that I know I can outrun.
?‍♂ ?‍??
Love the emojis, really paints a picture haha. Feeding your poor blind friends to the bears

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Most people don't have the money to dedicate a $75k Rivian for exclusive use as an "adventure" vehicle once a week, or less, so it's just practical that they will be used as dailiy drivers. I suspect that 95%+ of consumer purchased 4WD vehicles have the same usage pattern. I've owned true 4WD vehicles for 30 years, and they been to the mall, taking kids to school, etc. as well as towing boats, campers, tractors, and off roading on my farm, and in the mountains. At the end of the day, why does it even matter how other people choose to use their "adventure" vehicle? Everyone has their own definition of what is an adventure.
Agreed. To each, their own.

Every transportation device I've ever owned has many adventures associated with it, even a '69 Chevy Caprice Estate Station Wagon (especially when parked). The R1T promises all of those adventures and more, short only of the fun offered by my convertibles.
? ?‍♂ ? ? ? ?‍♀ ? ⛷

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Love the emojis, really paints a picture haha. Feeding your poor blind friends to the bears
I guess I'm the one with vision issues. On the small screen of my phone and without my readers, I didn't catch the red tip on the cane. Thought it was a walking stick.

I was able to see the wheelchair user and passed on that image.

? Aaahhh! Much better now!

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It's "Mall Crawler", people. It's rhymey.

I could let a couple go, but now I've had enough.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It's "Mall Crawler", people. It's rhymey.

I could let a couple go, but now I've had enough.
For Soccer parents, the R1S might be called a "Baller Hauler".
⚽⚾???

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer

?‍♂ ??

[Edited to replace blind person with a lazy guy (in a sad case of irony, the author failed to see the red tip on the cane of the emoji). The author also hopes anyone outraged by poking fun at a lazy guy will, in fact, be too lazy to complain. Tip of the hat (and my reading glasses) to EVSport7 for their superior vision.]
I don't understand why anyone thinks the gear tunnel or frunk would be any less sealed or appropriate than the interior of the vehicle (or an old school trunk) for storing food and other 'smelly' things. We camped down in Ouray this weekend and had a bear in our camp last night at 3 am. With 6 vehicles, whose stuff did the bears get into? The ones who left their cooler outside:facepalm:
We were in our tent with our three kids 40 feet away, but we know to put all the smelly things in the vehicle, whether it's the cab, trunk, frunk or gear tunnel.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.