Sponsored

Is this a fair deal? Tire swap with cash

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My wife finally got to see an R1S in person yesterday with the 21" wheels. While she found it's a little bigger than what she thought she's looking for, it isn't Suburban-enormous and wasn't disqualified. But I think those 21s were, even without the covers and blacked out, so...

After looking at wheels online, the 20 Brights and 22s won, and we'd either get them powder coated or vinyl cover them ourselves to stay under the $80k. I'm trying to convince her to go 20s for more options on tires down the line, and I think she's amenable.

The deal would be: she spends $1800 more on 20 brights, I put Pirelli AS3+ 275/60/20s on with $1000, and put the fresh ATs on my wheels.

We're weird with our moneys, communal things are split even but Her stuff is Her stuff and she doesn't like me buying her expensive things, outside of holidays. I think it's a strong independent feminist thing.

Thoughts on the deal? Any suggested talking points to help nudge away from 22s and towards 20s?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Would she be taking the S off road at all? That’s probably the most obvious point to make IMHO. With 20s you can go anywhere. 22s it’s pavement only.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Would she be taking the S off road at all? That’s probably the most obvious point to make IMHO. With 20s you can go anywhere. 22s it’s pavement only.
We'd replace the ATs with AS and no more than gravel for her, despite my begging to use for Montana road trips then some North Fork fun to Kintla.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 22s be a "rougher" ride on rough roads than 20s? Less rubber and all?

Other big selling point is cheaper tire replacements on 20s (with AS)/22s over 21s. Like 700-800 cheaper each change. Am I off?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Pavement only? I’ve taken mine with 22s off-road numerous times and they‘ve performed flawlessly.
iMO the R1S looks best in 22s

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Don't forget that 22s have the least tread, so not only more expensive but would need to be replaced more often in principle. And less rubber means a rougher ride like you said, again I assume compared to a 20" with the same size.

On the negative side getting Rivian to calibrate your speedo etc to the new tires may be an annoyance for her.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Pavement only? I’ve taken mine with 22s off-road numerous times and they‘ve performed flawlessly.
iMO the R1S looks best in 22s
I appreciate your adventurous spirit! Maybe we have different definitions of “off road”. The trails I think of when I say that would leave the 22s pretty banged up from rocks and they would struggle with traction.

I agree the 22s look amazing on the S.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
We'd replace the ATs with AS and no more than gravel for her, despite my begging to use for Montana road trips then some North Fork fun to Kintla.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 22s be a "rougher" ride on rough roads than 20s? Less rubber and all?

Other big selling point is cheaper tire replacements on 20s (with AS)/22s over 21s. Like 700-800 cheaper each change. Am I off?
Honestly I'd get the 22s on the R1S after driving a loaner with 22s. More range, and they are just more responsive.

The wife's R1S is spec'd out with 21s. If we don't like them, I figured we'd buy some 22s aftermarket or something.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

I would assume the 22s would feel at least a little more harsh on rough roads but I would defer to anyone who‘s been running them so far.

Unless something has hit the market recently there are no replacements for the 21s except for the Pirellis. So yes, the choices with either 20s or 22s would be much wider. Not sure on pricing though.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I would assume the 22s would feel at least a little more harsh on rough roads but I would defer to anyone who‘s been running them so far.

Unless something has hit the market recently there are no replacements for the 21s except for the Pirellis. So yes, the choices with either 20s or 22s would be much wider. Not sure on pricing though.
They didn't seem any worse than my 20s on the loaner I had. That being said, the SC had them aired down to 42 psi, so that could have been part of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

On the negative side getting Rivian to calibrate your speedo etc to the new tires may be an annoyance for her.
But it means your real speed is less than actual speed, right? This might be a positive 😜

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

Had a loaner for a month with 20s and didn’t notice much ride difference Between 20 &22s
Sponsored