Sponsored

Is there a Rivian wave/signal thing when we see each other on the road?

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
Most of the Rivians I have ran across on the road, the drivers are usally to self absorbed to pay attention to anything other than their phone.

I think I have ran across around 100 of them on the road, and only 2 waved back.

So I gave up.

I waved at a identical twin to mine this past sunday, nothing. He even followed me for a couple miles, I waved 3 times, nothing.
Total asshats!
Sponsored

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
I make an "0" with my hand and put it out the window.

It has not yet been reciprocated.
Well.. This one can be misconstrude as you calling them an a-hole :)

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

ekiM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
So, I just took delivery of my R1S on Tuesday in Sacramento and drove to Portland on Wednesday to visit my brother. My family and I were there for a few days and drove bock. I saw a handful of other Rivian drivers while we were on the journey and it occurred to me that we don't have a communicative wave or gesture that I am aware of. At least, I don't think so?

So my question is kind of in two parts:
  1. Do we have anything out there that is already being done? I don't want to reinvent the wave - if we got something, I'm all in.
  2. If not - can we run a poll or something? I'm good with a peace sign, or really anything - just think we should have a consistent shared element.
If I'm the only one, I'll just keep my hands to myself, but when I rode motorcycles, it was always cool to pass someone and have the two-fingers down low acknowledgement.

20240326_162032-EDIT.jpg
I'm in Delaware, we're conservative folks so, a kindly wave is the norm with the one or two R1's that are local. I also have an FJ Cruiser and we do the same. When I'm on a two-wheeler, the low-wave is always a thing, for practical purposes.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Since Rivian opened an SC here in North Jersey I've suddenly started to see a few here in town.

The other day one dude made the best face of shock, as if he never expected to see another one and waved.

I always wave.

Sponsored

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
Most of the Rivians I have ran across on the road, the drivers are usally to self absorbed to pay attention to anything other than their phone.

I think I have ran across around 100 of them on the road, and only 2 waved back.

So I gave up.

I waved at a identical twin to mine this past sunday, nothing. He even followed me for a couple miles, I waved 3 times, nothing.
I had an oncoming Rivian driver wave back at me this morning, and my passenger was shocked as we’ve discussed other drivers not waving back many times.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I usually wave or more often give a quick flash of the lights, which can be seen from a greater distance. Hey, just trying to be friendly. I get a response about 70% of the time. Of course, where I live, Rivian sightings are not yet that common. I could see, if one lived in say LA, the whole wave thing could get silly, real fast.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Small wave, big wave, following and waving, pulling beside and waving, nothing works. I chalk it up to the other drivers be so enamored with the trucks.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We do a double flash of the high beamsas we do when we see other Airstreams.

Brian

Sponsored

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

That pretty much describes most of the people in Colorado....
I can corroborate that statement about most people in Colorado. I live in Colorado and I can’t think of a bigger fu*king asshat than me. I mean it’s really bad. I wave to myself every morning. What do I get back in return? Bad coffee, scones that taste like hemorrhoidal tissue, and then I force myself to listen to the Barney theme song over and over again.

Damn Colorado asshats!!!

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
In CO, I wave but rarely get a response. Tried flashing brights, no luck.
Maybe I'll start flipping other Rivians off?
Ah yes, the universal symbol for ‘you’re #1’. I’m sure that’ll go over well. Spread the word, or should I say the bird.

CoastalR1T

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure Package, El Cap Granite
Occupation
Chief cook and bottle washer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Is there a Rivian wave/signal thing when we see each other on the road? 1000032417

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

So, I just took delivery of my R1S on Tuesday in Sacramento and drove to Portland on Wednesday to visit my brother. My family and I were there for a few days and drove bock. I saw a handful of other Rivian drivers while we were on the journey and it occurred to me that we don't have a communicative wave or gesture that I am aware of. At least, I don't think so?

So my question is kind of in two parts:
  1. Do we have anything out there that is already being done? I don't want to reinvent the wave - if we got something, I'm all in.
  2. If not - can we run a poll or something? I'm good with a peace sign, or really anything - just think we should have a consistent shared element.
If I'm the only one, I'll just keep my hands to myself, but when I rode motorcycles, it was always cool to pass someone and have the two-fingers down low acknowledgement.

20240326_162032-EDIT.jpg
Congrats on your new R1S! I also have it in Forest Green with the 21 inch wheels; you'll love it. Quick question for you (not to hijack your thread): I'm driving from Marin County to Portland next month. How did you find the I-5 charging infrastructure on your trip?
Sponsored