Sponsored

Is the R1T tie rod integral to the steering rack?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Quick question - longer story to follow: is the R1T tie rod integral to the steering rack? I bent a tie rod last week - and I am being told by the Rivian service team that it requires replacement of the entire rack ($4957) rather than just swapping out the rod (at most a $500).
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
What happen to that guy in Moab that broke his tie rod and a rescue service did a temporary weld so he could drive out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Yeah exactly. Iā€™m either being lied to or more likely the rivian supply chain only provides for tie rods attached to steer columns (for production). Needless to say either way Iā€™m getting rid of the truck. $5k/tie rod isnā€™t in the cards for me.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Pretty sure its more than just a bent tie rod if they are replacing the rack, maybe enough impact its throwing everything out of alignment especially systems like Driver+ etc.

Keep in mind Driver+ relies on steering so if a bent tire rod sent any minimal damage to the steering rack it has to be replaced as well. Im sure the ticket needs more detail but try to talk to the tech for a valid explanation.

Edit, what did you do to bend a tie rod (not calling out just wanting more information for explanation).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah exactly. Iā€™m either being lied to or more likely the rivian supply chain only provides for tie rods attached to steer columns (for production). Needless to say either way Iā€™m getting rid of the truck. $5k/tie rod isnā€™t in the cards for me.
Did you talk to the service department? Are they saying the tie rods are not replaceable or that the rack is damaged as well?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Pretty sure its more than just a bent tie rod if they are replacing the rack,
I've seen this before with a DIY repair so no chance the mechanic was pulling a fast one on me.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wouldn't jump to conclusion without more info, right now details are sketchy and there is likely more to this than it seems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Did you talk to the service department? Are they saying the tie rods are not replaceable or that the rack is damaged as well?
Spoke to the service rep last week - and asked specifically about why the rack needed to be replaced. He said the tie rod is integrated with the rack.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
I wouldn't jump to conclusion without more info, right now details are sketchy and there is likely more to this than it seems.
Which is why I asked the question re tie rod being integrated or not. If it isn't than the only reason to replace the rack is that it is considered damaged (which would be hard to tell without taking it out)

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Pretty sure its more than just a bent tie rod if they are replacing the rack, maybe enough impact its throwing everything out of alignment especially systems like Driver+ etc.

Keep in mind Driver+ relies on steering so if a bent tire rod sent any minimal damage to the steering rack it has to be replaced as well. Im sure the ticket needs more detail but try to talk to the tech for a valid explanation.

Edit, what did you do to bend a tie rod (not calling out just wanting more information for explanation).
That is good feedback - and as others have commented good to keep an open mind. Re the damage - just pot holes on a dirt road. Was surprised that is all it took.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Good to learn this short coming. $5k for an integrated tie rod. Wow. This is not an adventure vehicle unless you like adventures to the bank.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Any chance your comprehensive insurance would cover it?
Sponsored