Sponsored

Is the ‘low speed tock’ still a thing?

Have you had to deal with the ‘low speed tock’ issue?

• Total voters

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We picked up my 2nd reservation 3 weeks ago, it's Vin 18,xxx. It developed the tocking before I got home 4hrs later. Interestingly my 1st truck did not have this noise, it was much more of a heavy tha-dunk/CA-chunk sound than this new clucking/tocking. The newer truck sounds like the wheel of fortune wheel when driving in a parking lot. It's super loud, super embarrassing, and louder than the pedestrian speaker. The new truck's heater also does not work while driving, only when sitting still. Evidently too much cold air comes into the cabin while driving. Submitted tickets for both but getting crickets from the other end. Gonna wait another week and submit more tickets.
The tick/tock I have and most people hear is from getting off/on throttle…this sounds like a drive unit issue.
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
First Service to fix the tock issue: They lubed it which significantly reduced the noise, but it was still there.

Second Service (Mobile): Confirmed the noise, and they claimed it was abnormal.

Third Service: Claimed it was within tolerance. They claimed they had a range they measured, and it was within range. I wish this convo was over email/message as I don't have a good recollection of the details. I haven't picked it up since it was serviced as I had it serviced in another state due to the massive wait. I had a bunch of other issues I wanted fixed as well.

All in all its probably the worst vehicle I've ever owned from a perspective of lack of confidence in the vehicle and company. Its' not necessarily a bad vehicle, but it's like an Italian vehicle. Where the expectations are just different. :)

Service/Support:
Lack of clarity from the company on what issues are normal and what are abnormal
Really long service wait times (at least the Bellevue SC)
Lack of uniformity of service/support in terms of being called multiple times for the same thing
Lack of choices when it comes to communication preferences. They only seem to support phone calls except for questions.
Lack of loaners or EV rentals
Uber credits expire before you can pick up the vehicle
No Mechanism to report SW bugs
No Mechanism through Rivian to report Navigation/Map issues.

Vehicle:
Suspension doesn't inspire confidence (except off-road mode which is a lot of fun)
Tok sound with any acceleration of declaration
Occasionally the backup camera is all black (a reset fixes, but takes time to do)
Adaptive Cruise control has major issues with no wanting to work in even mild rain
Momentary error messages that come and go with no explanation or logging
Updates break things - Like you used to be able to scroll through the FM radio favorites using the steering wheel buttons, but they broke this.

I'm both an vehicle owner and investor. Obviously I expected issues from a new manufacture and a new vehicle. But, I was expecting them to be way more aggressive on identifying and fixing issues. Instead they always try to play off some issue as normal or they ask "have you tried rebooting".

They have the makings of a great vehicle/experience, but they're a long ways from bringing that together.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Here's a close up of the noise I'm getting. Truck was jacked and my son's were rolling the wheel.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-at-low-speed-loud-humming-at-high-speed.13227/
This sounds like the same noise in this thread. A rear drive unit replacement may be in your future.

And I agree with a previous poster that this noise is different from what some others are experiencing when getting on/off throttle. That tick/rock noise disappears if you maintain a consistent speed.

I have both noises but the on/off throttle one doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m calling service soon to schedule a visit for the one in this video. That noise goes away when in conserve mode so it’s very clearly in the rear drive unit.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Here's a close up of the noise I'm getting. Truck was jacked and my son's were rolling the wheel.

This must have been the fronts due to the parking brake holding the rears? In any case, I heard the same thing just a few days ago when I swapped out winter wheels. It initially sounded like something loose in the arms or links but after messing with it a while, I found all I needed to do was rotate the wheel.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
After 1000 miles I now have what I think is the tock on my >17000 VIN R1T. Started noticing it after I switched to high regen. It sounds like an ICE stumbling or stalling to me.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The tick/tock I have and most people hear is from getting off/on throttle…this sounds like a drive unit issue.
There are 2 issues to my understanding. There is a heavier tock that does seem to be related to throttle and then a "ticking" noise that is almost like little creaks. I think the louder throttle tock can be related to a drive unit and some people have had drive units replaced that fix it.

My truck has had these ticks for a while and after first just trying to fix it by lubricating the half shafts and other minor adjustments, they are now replacing the entire front subframe.

If you have these ticks or clicks or creaks at low speed definitely ask them to check your front sub frame. It's a known issue now. Some rear sub frames are also being replaced.

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition El Cap
Occupation
Custom Residential Builder
There are 2 issues to my understanding. There is a heavier tock that does seem to be related to throttle and then a "ticking" noise that is almost like little creaks. I think the louder throttle tock can be related to a drive unit and some people have had drive units replaced that fix it.

My truck has had these ticks for a while and after first just trying to fix it by lubricating the half shafts and other minor adjustments, they are now replacing the entire front subframe.

If you have these ticks or clicks or creaks at low speed definitely ask them to check your front sub frame. It's a known issue now. Some rear sub frames are also being replaced.
Interesting because the subframes do in fact have pretty poor weld quality. I'd be interested in knowing if the subframe could be safely re-welded on-vehicle locally. I'm sure Rivian would be against that even if it is safe but what's the point in replacing the subframe with another one of unknown QC?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Interesting because the subframes do in fact have pretty poor weld quality. I'd be interested in knowing if the subframe could be safely re-welded on-vehicle locally. I'm sure Rivian would be against that even if it is safe but what's the point in replacing the subframe with another one of unknown QC?
Well the hope is that they aren't just replacing it with one of "unknown qc" but with one that has with improved manufacturing as a result of the ongoing issues.

The loaner r1t I am driving doesn't have any ticks OR thunks and drives very smooth and quiet, so clearly it can be accomplished.

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition El Cap
Occupation
Custom Residential Builder
Well the hope is that they aren't just replacing it with one of "unknown qc" but with one that has with improved manufacturing as a result of the ongoing issues.

The loaner r1t I am driving doesn't have any ticks OR thunks and drives very smooth and quiet, so clearly it can be accomplished.
Definitely the hope! I've driven a Vin 3k, Vin 6k, Vin 18k and they all had/have significant noises.

But Rivian totally removed the connection for the powered bed cover out of the driver's rear sub-harness within weeks so hopefully they can also improve QC on this asap.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

first two weeks, the R1T was solid, no noises. just started to hear the tick/creak noise from what sounds like the front at around 600 miles. especially noticeable at slow speeds and when im turning the wheel significantly.

im in WA and SC appointments are 2 months out so i'll be adding this to my appt, along with the 5 other things ive already submitted for. most are minor, but this one is definitely concerning.

seancalvillo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure Package El Cap w/ PPF 20" ATs
Occupation
Software Consultant
VIN 4000. Had my R1T in the SC twice for this. Was informed it was normal “gear lash” and absent evidence of physical damage the splines/half shafts would not be replaced. Sound first appeared around 2000 miles. I now have 5000 miles on the vehicle. First repair was to repack the lube, replace and retighten the bolts on the front half shafts. 150 miles later the “gear lash” was worse. Scheduled another SC visit but it took a couple of months to get in. This time same repair but to both front and rear drive lines. So far the gear lash seems to be less but I suspect there is a temperature component to the problem. Since the most recent repair we have had lows in the single digits and highs in the low thirty’s. It has been my experience lube thickens under those conditions and much like adding STP to a tired ICE the noise would be reduced. My concern is that when Spring returns and temperatures rise the problem will return. Hopefully I am wrong. The gear lash is more than just a sound there is a definite gap between the teeth probably where the splines and half shafts join. It feels much like a worn universal joint on a traditional ICE driveshaft.
I have absolutely noticed this relation to Temperature. With that said mine dissipated on 20” ATs as we’re going into winter. Then i put some Nokian tires on and the problem seemed to disappear altogether. I put back on ATs and the weather is warning and heating an increase in minor clicking. Will see if it fully returns.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Definitely the hope! I've driven a Vin 3k, Vin 6k, Vin 18k and they all had/have significant noises.

But Rivian totally removed the connection for the powered bed cover out of the driver's rear sub-harness within weeks so hopefully they can also improve QC on this asap.
Please tell us what happened with your rollover. lol.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My tock has never gone away after many regreasings, 2 sets of washers, and a replaced half shaft (so they say). I will switch to dual motor in a nano-second if those new motors have solved this riddle, it’s that annoying to me.
Sponsored