Sponsored

Is rear-wheel drive mode possible in OTA update?

OP
OP
onesoil

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
heck yeah I'm so looking forward to driving through that next spring haha
Where in VT do you live? The roads in central/NE VT were wild this spring. I was dragging my Tacoma TRD-OR's belly on several occasions.

Have you decided if you're going to get dedicated snow tires? I almost always have, but these tires seem like they might do well in the winter, and are technically rated as such. I'm just not sure if they'll be a soft enough compound when it's really cold.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
. I'm just not sure if they'll be a soft enough compound when it's really cold.
NB in my experience severe service rated AT tires are soft enough in extreme cold (-40c)

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Have you decided if you're going to get dedicated snow tires? I almost always have, but these tires seem like they might do well in the winter, and are technically rated as such. I'm just not sure if they'll be a soft enough compound when it's really cold.
My current plan is to pick up a set of studded snows I think. My driveway is very steep and I live out on a gravel road in the mountains -- so it's a steep drive into town even.

My main concern is sliding down hill on ice more than traction though.

I am not totally sure though. I am tempted to push it a bit and see how the ATs do first.

I would love the ATs in the mud I think though.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
That (wear) is the main complaint. As for energy savings I am frankly still in disbelief as to what the trip OD is telling me about the general-purpose mode and am quite happy about that. Plus i paid a lot of bucks for two motors that are never used? Nosir.
I think the problem is people are using conserve to save money (energy). I would only use it in one spot -- cruise control on an interstate or road trip. There should be an "auto-conserve mode" for that.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The rear wheels can be disconnected via mechanical clutches thus enabling conserve mode. The front wheels cannot so in that sense the answer is "no" but if you ever get into a situation where you need rwd the control system will implement rwd for as long as it is needed and then revert to 4wd as soon as that becomes the better mode. This is 'torque vectoring" at which the Rivian, with its 4 motors, is very good. It does not send torque to wheels that slip. Torque always goes to wheels that can accept it.
Too bad the front don't come out too. It would enable flat towing.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
In a traditional non-active suspension vehicle this statement is true. In a active suspension vehicle, dynamics are such that it can minimize the weight transfer to the front wheels. I believe Rivian does manage the weight transfer to make sure that all 4 tires and brakes are working optimal to stop 8K lbs vehicle in a shortest distance (for R1).

I understand the OP's desire for RWD but I would recommend learning how to drift with AWD is also worth practicing. The vehicle uses torque vectoring at each wheel such that there is a bias towards the rear wheels.

Last, in conserve mode where its FWD (same with Tycan), the underlying assumption is you are cruising and not maneuvering significant amount. In this state, there really is no difference - except tracking is more efficient than pushing; hence, FWD - which wheel is moving the car. In terms of braking, again weight transfer is managed and all 4 wheels are used to regen as well as mechanical braking.

I like RWD vehicles. Both AWD and FWD vehicles have to be driven using different lines through the corners. While AWD vehicles are technically faster/quicker than RWD, I prefer driving it.

One interesting thing is on smaller EVs (my old leaf), regen was largely limited by battery acceptance rate safety limits. I support with a larger pack this isn't an issue, but it is heavier.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You're probably right. My front tires are wearing out much quicker. Any energy cost savings are likely lost to accelerated tire wear.
Which is why we need a rwd mode. It'll save us from having to do tire rotations...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Which is why we need a rwd mode. It'll save us from having to do tire rotations...
Still going to wear faster on the fronts because they steer.