SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Unless it's a collectable car like a Porsche or Ferrari, the PPF will not be worth the financial cost. Meaning you will never get a return on the investment when you go to sell your truck.

Is it nice for a piece of mind? Absolutely! Especially in a state like Colorado which uses gravel on the roads all winter.
I'm going to challenge you on the cost piece. I've had partial PPF covering the front end and high impact areas (and the partial part of this is important) on the last 7 cars and PPF has saved me countless times. Wrapping your entire car in PPF is a completely different story - and I agree that the full treatment is usually reserved for high value cars that you want to protect - or every Tesla ever made since they have the worst paint in the industry - worse than an 80's Kia according to Sandy Munro. ..

It takes a lot to pierce good quality PPF - it was designed to protect the very sensitive rotors on helicopters in Vietnam. If it can survive vietnam, it can survive rocks.

When my PPF has gotten roughed up I usually let it sit in the sun and it will eventually heal itself. At the end of the vehicle life you can peel it off to reveal a pristine front end with no rock chip damage which will absolutely raise the value of your car.

If you are the type of person that every chip or scratch is going to bother you, you'd have to spend your insurance deductible every time you had a rock chip which would add up very, very quickly.

It's a matter of whether you value the appearance and resale value of your vehicle. A partial PPF for the R1T shouldn't cost more than $1500 and I would do that over anything else, including ceramic coating which IMHO is what is nowhere near the absurd cost which runs into the thousands and requires you to have to treat your car like a baby AFTER you put the coating on.

What kind of protection does it really offer if you have to treat the protection like a baby? Anywho....
Sponsored

OP
OP
gd_r1t

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Im a little confused as to how it could possibly be justified cost wise. Do you mean will a wrapped car retain a higher resale value?
I meant the cost of PPF vs. paying to fix paint chips as they happen. Iā€™m not sure how much the latter cost, maybe a couple hundred dollars? Seems less costly I would guess though.

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I

I meant the cost of PPF vs. paying to fix paint chips as they happen. Iā€™m not sure how much the latter cost, maybe a couple hundred dollars? Seems less costly I would guess though.
Depends on how you want the chip fixed. Painting isn't one set cost, and if you want a chip fixed in a manner that will restore the panel to brand new condition that often results in needing to repaint the entire panel. All you'd need is to do that a couple times and you'd be well in excess of what professional PPF installation costs, but no one really addresses paint chips that way. They don't get them repaired to factory new condition unless they are extremely bad and that's rare. Usually they let tons of chips happen and then sell the car or repaint.

Even my Audi which has had paint correct and ceramic on it still has a few flaws in the paint but fixing them would cost more than the additional looks were worth for a daily driver car. It is really difficult to try and quantify that sort of cost because cost of body work varies so much. You could take one rock to the front and have it cost 3K dollars to fix the damage because it skidded across 3 different panels requiring the whole front clip to be repainted but again the scratch would most likely be minor enough to live with instead.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I'm a bit worried about inviting a controversial topic. So go easy on me šŸ˜…

Strictly from a financial cost calculation standpoint, is PPF worth the investment?

Considerations:
  • How much on average does a scratch or rock chip cost to repair the paint?
  • What happens when PPF is damaged with a scratch? Does it require reapplication of a portion of the PPF? (and if so, what's the cost?)

Btw, I definitely appreciate that there's value in the peace of mind provided by PPF. But I'm mainly curious on the financial case to be made.
I have done full wraps on all my vehicles. There have been multiple times when someone has torn or severely scratched the PPF. In all occasions the PPF Has been replaced under warranty.
Sponsored