Is Performance Limited by Charge % ?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How much, if any, is acceleration performance limited by the current level of charge? Is there a graph that displays the relationship between charge % and torque available? If the drop is significant, I may switch up my daily charging behavior.

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
How much, if any, is acceleration performance limited by the current level of charge? Is there a graph that displays the relationship between charge % and torque available? If the drop is significant, I may switch up my daily charging behavior.

Thanks,
Ben
I'm also interested in this, but my butt dyno tells me the drop is very small down to ~40% or so. My Tesla Model 3 LR was a pretty significant difference between 90% and 60%, so much that I didn't enjoy driving it below ~70%.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, but it's not significant until well below 15%.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

From my experience you start losing performance as early as 80%. However that was during full throttle drag racing. In day to day driving I can't feel a difference between 45% and 80%. Between 30-45% I do feel it be a decent amount slower on hard accelerations. Either way it's pretty fast even at low charge levels and doesn't make a difference unless you are actually timing it or racing.

For reference here are my drag strip results. Fastest time on the left was at around 80% and the last run on the right was around 72%.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Performance Limited by Charge % ? 4C7491CE-7AA3-4300-913A-8E26BA1C1D34.JPG

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I can only provide anecdotal butt-dyno testing, but I'm a "always charged to 70%" person, and the few times I charge to 100% I feel like it accelerates significantly harder. Not sure what %age that 'significant' is, but long before this thread I'd mentioned that to my partner a few times.

So yea, I feel like once you start hitting ~80% or so, you start losing some total power, and that continues down until the system actually TELLS you it's limiting power, which doesn't occur until very low SOC.

(I'm highlighting the difference between your screen showing you that you can't get to max power, vs the actual feel of max power at 100-80% vs even 70%)
Sponsored