Sponsored

Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
A recent photo on this forum got me thinking: that's not what that Limestone looks like in the Configurator.

The photo was shared to compare Limestone to Launch Green. But check it out below.

That doesn't look like the same color, at all. In fact I think Limestone in the Configurator looks a lot like Launch Green in this photo.

Granted, colors can be weird in photos. But do you think the paint swatch in the photo is actually Silver? If we presume that the poster of the photo was accurately showing Limestone, do you think the Configurator isn't portraying Limestone correctly?

Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? 2D2DC575-A18B-4437-9159-28219DCF1416
Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
There are about 8,000 posts speculating on Limestone. We don't know.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Looks close enough to me. Perhaps it appears a bit darker in the configurator but limestone does tend to be a light-ish grey color. The lighting can make a big difference.

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Even Launch Green doesn’t look that much like the configurator to me. Lighting and surroundings change things so much. For example here’s the launch green configurator vs two shots I took.
Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? A7EDE6B9-7E2B-4490-BC78-1FADDD4C7AD4
Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? 336A638D-088F-4BA6-96F7-2576BEA742AD
Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? 1AD2080A-BC61-4E15-9F2B-4578AD3BFF7F

OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Maybe they won't show Limestone in real life until the Configurator undergoes a change? I thought I heard a rumor that Rivian was working to put "real" photos in the Configurator instead of computer-generated ones.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I'm sure it's been said, but I can't imagine it being that much different than Toyota's lunar gray or Nissan's boulder gray or Audi's nardo gray. Everybody has that "milky" gray color - it'll be close to that. It'll be neat.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

The mystery is why is it a mystery.... :whatsgoingon:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

this years' old photo of what is NOT supposed to be official Limestone is the closest thing to what a Limestone painted R1T will look like. This was from the "Long Way Up" series but many times Rivian has said this is not the color of Limestone paint. Actually looks like the hood and front bumper are painted a slightly different shade of gray - although that may be lighting, angle, dirt or just the low-res photo quality.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? Limestone_closeup.PNG

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Maybe they won't show Limestone in real life until the Configurator undergoes a change? I thought I heard a rumor that Rivian was working to put "real" photos in the Configurator instead of computer-generated ones.
It would be nice for a configurator to use real world photos, but I don’t think I’ve seen any other manufacturer do it yet either.

OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
this years' old photo of what is NOT supposed to be official Limestone is the closest thing to what a Limestone painted R1T will look like. This was from the "Long Way Up" series but many times Rivian has said this is not the color of Limestone paint. Actually looks like the hood and front bumper are painted a slightly different shade of gray - although that may be lighting, angle, dirt or just the low-res photo quality.

Limestone_closeup.PNG
This image looks startlingly similar to the paint swatch in the original post. On my computer it looks almost like a baby blue or sky blue.

I believe the official description of limestone calls to mind the muted greens of tree lichen.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? fs1205-main-2

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

that same "LWU" truck with NOT Limestone paint

Rivian R1T R1S Is Limestone Accurate in the Configurator? limeston

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

that same "LWU" truck with NOT Limestone paint

limestone.jpeg
I think NOT Limestone should be an official paint color.

What color rivian is that? NOT Limestone. Yeah I know it isn't Limestone, I'm asking what color is it? NOT LIMESTONE!

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

the colors in the configurator are not reliable as its CGI. why they haven't added real photos is beyond me. there's plenty out there, im sure they have thier own official ones too. seems simple enough so whoever is in marketing/web/comms really should get on it. woefully lacking.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
the colors in the configurator are not reliable as its CGI. why they haven't added real photos is beyond me. there's plenty out there, im sure they have thier own official ones too. seems simple enough so whoever is in marketing/web/comms really should get on it. woefully lacking.
I wonder how many things like that are are just waiting on approval from upper management.

The website team is doing anything to help with production, they should have plenty of time to add pictures and info. But the person who has to approve the changes might have more important things going on right now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
None of the colours are accurate and they can't be.

You have to see them in person in different lighting, same as any other metallic paint.
Sponsored