Sponsored

Is it normal to buy a car sight unseen (not driven)?

Bojana1099

First Name
Bojana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Engineer
Will we buy a car abs have it delivered to our house without knowing what we bought? I thought there would be more information on Rivians website explaining what to expect. General car buying questions (will they take a trade in, financing, did I choose right options). I need another vehicle to drive until this one arrives and I wish I had more confidence in the process sand timing.
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I’m less worried about buying sight unseen as no idea how it will be serviced.

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

No. I would need a test drive or 10 day trial with the car prior to completing purchase. Reality is that its a new company with a new model car and an unknown track record. I have purchased cars in the past sight unseen, but in those cases have gone to a dealer and test drove the model prior to purchase.

The rest of the issues (financing, trade in, warranty, etc) can be handled online.

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
I agree with kanundrum, however even though this is a startup, I feel confident the opportunity to see, feel and drive the vehicle will present itself, but you may have to be willing to go above and beyond the norm to do so. Rivian has always said it’s about the adventure. ;)

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I don't think Rivian has asked us to buy sight unseen....yet....

I get it we may not be happy with the schedule they have (or don't have) for getting information to us. I will not be concerned about any of this until I get an email or phone call asking me to commit prior to them filling in on the details we so desperately want.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The question is do you want to be an early adopter or not. It's not as though Rivian plans to be a limited production vehicle that if you don't get in right away, you'll never be able to buy one. For the risk averse, it may be better to wait until Rivian has been in production for a year or two to see how reliable things are or have your questions answered.

However, those wishing to purchase a Launch Edition will have to assume the risk themselves and may very well be entering into the purchase sight unseen. The only hope is that Rivian provides some sort of trial period like Tesla used to, so you can return the vehicle if you decide it's not the right fit for you.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm all in, give me that risk. I'd love to sit in the vehicle, test drive, & test UI/features, but I have faith (like Amazon, T Rowe, Fidelity, & others).

Bring it on.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
As a R1S guy, i'll use the results of the R1T guys as my benchmark. I bought my 911 and my Camaro remotely and was fine with them.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I share Bojanas concern. I have confidence in that designed ride quality, functionality will be great even without trying them out. I am less confident that the specific vehicle that shows up at my door will be free from defects that might have shown up in a test drive IE. paint flaws, loose trim... I don't think one of the risks early adopters should have to accept is paying for a car that is being repaired for manufacturing defects for 4 months out of the first year.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I'm not against unseen but there needs to be a return policy in place, like all the other "unseen" retailers have.
I don't care if it's only 3 days, I need the security that i enjoy the truck and it fits my families lifestyle before i make a final decision.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’d be willing to special order my specific configuration... But I need to see/touch/drive another version of that specific model before I’m willing to buy.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Ive bought my past 4 cars like this, not sure if its the "NORM" but it is more common.
I did the same with my last two purchases, flying from Portland to Cincinnati the first time, and then to Denver. Two of the best road trips ever. Cargurus provided a great buying experience both times. Never before had I purchased without several drives and tire-kicking sessions.

That said, I was at least able to sit in a twin of each of these last two vehicles to get the "fit" and feel right, along with an enthusiastic "Yes!" vote from my backside. The backside always has veto power. To paraphrase the old saying, "If the rear ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" An otherwise great car, with less than satisfactory seats, is an automatic disqualification.

I can't fathom Rivian expecting us to actually ink a deal without the chance "to see/touch/drive another version of that specific model before (we're) willing to buy", per CommodoreAmiga. Just the concerns voiced over the past two years here about paint colors, interiors, and wheels sends the clear message we want to see them first. The somewhat limited messaging from the company seems to indicate it will happen, but all details seem to be mysterious.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm all in, give me that risk. I'd love to sit in the vehicle, test drive, & test UI/features, but I have faith (like Amazon, T Rowe, Fidelity, & others).

Bring it on.
Skyote, While I also have faith that it will work out just fine, one of my heroes wisely said "Trust, but verify". The testing, calibration and care we've read and heard about during this lengthy development cycle makes me feel like Rivian has their poop in a group. However, I'd still love to have that chance to experience the LE before signing on the dotted line.
Sponsored