Sponsored

Is it normal to buy a car sight unseen (not driven)?

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
It’s normal for an established company. Rivian is not. Even Tesla offered unlimited battery warranties when they first started to overcome this stigma. Rivian should offer some assurance for initial takers though I’m still inclined to roll the dice on it as long as timing of delivery works for me.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Tesla offered unlimited battery warranties when they first started to overcome this stigma
But they specifically excluded any amount of degradation of range as normal wear. The warranty only covered complete failure.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Rivian hinted about bringing the vehicle to you for a test drive. I'm doubting they will bring any to Alaska. I'm willing to travel down south to see and drive one but I need some time to make travel arraignments so I'm not spending an arm and a leg. I'm hoping they give this information out before May. I'm willing to purchase unseen as long as I have a 7 plus day trial period.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rivian hinted about bringing the vehicle to you for a test drive. I'm doubting they will bring any to Alaska. I'm willing to travel down south to see and drive one but I need some time to make travel arraignments so I'm not spending an arm and a leg. I'm hoping they give this information out before May. I'm willing to purchase unseen as long as I have a 7 plus day trial period.
Moonjock, Even if you flew to the lower 48 to pick it up, is there enough charging infrastructure to get you home? I seem to recall some pretty awful gaps as you head North through B.C. Maybe Ewan and Charley could film “The Long Way Up, part 2” when they deliver your Rivian. I’d gladly volunteer to be part of their support team.

I think many states require at least a three-day window to allow a buyer to rescind a car purchase, and some retailers allow seven days for a used vehicle purchase recision, but I’ve not known any to give seven days for a new car to be returned. Maybe I’m just not paying attention.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Gary, Thanks for setting the record straight. While one might press the issue because this is an in-home sale of sorts, it looks like many other hurdles would need to be cleared to even have a prayer. I trust that Rivian has a plan for all to see, touch, and test-drive their Rivian before signing on, and hope not one of us feels regret for the ultimate process.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Moonjock, Even if you flew to the lower 48 to pick it up, is there enough charging infrastructure to get you home? I seem to recall some pretty awful gaps as you head North through B.C. Maybe Ewan and Charley could film “The Long Way Up, part 2” when they deliver your Rivian. I’d gladly volunteer to be part of their support team.

I think many states require at least a three-day window to allow a buyer to rescind a car purchase, and some retailers allow seven days for a used vehicle purchase recision, but I’ve not known any to give seven days for a new car to be returned. Maybe I’m just not paying attention.
I don't believe there is enough DCFC to make it here. There are currently no DCFC on the main hwys in Alaska. If I take a few weeks off there might be enough lvl 2 charging ?. I would love to drive it up but that's not convent at this time. CS has made it sound like they will deliver to Alaska I'm just not convinced there are enough pre-orders up here for them to have test drives in Alaska.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I don't believe there is enough DCFC to make it here. There are currently no DCFC on the main hwys in Alaska. If I take a few weeks off there might be enough lvl 2 charging ?. I would love to drive it up but that's not convent at this time. CS has made it sound like they will deliver to Alaska I'm just not convinced there are enough pre-orders up here for them to have test drives in Alaska.
Tell you what, you can fly down and stay with us. Then after you get your Rivian you can leave it (and the keys) here until the charging infrastructure is in place to drive it to Alaska.

You'll be welcome to come visit it now and then... :D

edit to add: we'll be happy to send videos of it on its adventures, too.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Tell you what, you can fly down and stay with us. Then after you get your Rivian you can leave it (and the keys) here until the charging infrastructure is in place to drive it to Alaska.

You'll be welcome to come visit it now and then... :D

edit to add: we'll be happy to send videos of it on its adventures, too.
Tempting! ?

There may be enough lvl 2 to make the trip but most of the RV parks shut down for winter and I bet I get my R1T in late fall.
Sponsored

Last edited: